• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Austro-Hungarian school of shoemaking

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by C&A
He may have made the whole story up thinking he could squeeze another EUR 200 out of an idiiot like me, although he didn't strike me as a moneygrubber.However, that may be a part of a very clever cover up also.

Nah! Dont think he is a devious moneygrubber.

He told me he does trunk shows in Germany to which I asked, does he charge more there for his shoes? He said he doesn't. He could have easily charged more due to travel etc.

They could modernise their operations to accept major credit cards though. An e-shop for them is so far off.

Also, the shoe trees are machine made. Dont let its rough looks fool you. For a bit lesser, I would rather get my finished cedar shoe trees with a metal knob on top, though it does have its problems. The frigging knob comes off!

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
no. nvm

long story short: back in the days one wasn't charged for the last or the construction method, iirc not even for e.g. stingray(you can call it beta phase). only upcharge i'm aware of was for cordovan, which was € 50,- or so.

the rest is history...

Er, could you in a sentence or 2 explain the greatness of the wood peg method vs the sewn method? No need for the FAQ just a short line would do. I thought the wood peg method gives the shoes a unique look and the shoes are not falling apart.

As for the upcharge, whhhattt! Damn!
I am still thinking of the grey brown stingray piece by Georg or Petkov. I thought the upcharge was a bit too much but now its worse if back in the day, it wont have cost me a cent more than 'normal' shoes. Hell, I would want all my shoes to be in exotic skin then.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jangofett
Snortle snortle! Was it fritzl who said SCs are made in Romania factory? They seem to have found some love here of late, despite their hand prices. Looks nicer than Vash though.
Anything that is elusive and hard to get will always be loved here. Normally, it will be an Asian male (take your pick) rubbing it in everyone's face.
peepwall[1].gif
From the looks, I would take Vass over SC, even though another company designed my favorite lasts for Vass.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Personally I prefer the look of SC based on what I see on this forum and on the interwebz. Vash is too 'traditional' in looks.

Hope you solve your JL Prestiges problem.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I prefer the look of SC based on what I see on this forum and on the interwebz. Vash is too 'traditional' in looks.

Haha! Indeed. Paul Goring stepped up. I've ordered 13 different leather choices for the Philip II. I'll only be paying for 12. Things were definitely made right by JLP. I'll be a customer for life. In addition, none of the shoes have gemming (glue)
bounce2.gif

I still like G&G a lot.

For my blucher dilemma, I plan to add some Vass.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
Haha! Indeed. Paul Goring stepped up. I've ordered 13 different leather choices for the Philip II. I'll only be paying for 12. Things were definitely made right by JLP. I'll be a customer for life. In addition, none of the shoes have gemming (glue)
bounce2.gif

Cough! You ordered 13 JLP?
Damn! We have another Aportnoy in the making.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cough! You ordered 13 JLP?
Damn! We have another Aportnoy in the making.

I Freakin' wish! I have received 6 pairs so far. The wait absolutely sucks. It's not that big of a deal though, especially since at this point in my career I don't have to wear a suit.

Here is what I ordered:
Prestige, Philip II:
1. Dark brown museum [2 pair]
2. Parisian brown museum
3. Plum museum
4. Chestnut misty
5. Black
6. Dark oak
7. New Gold museum
8. Dark brown misty
9. Parisian brown misty
10. Burgundy
11. Dark brown
12. Antique dark oak
13. Antique burgundy

I am considering pewter museum calf as well.

Jangofett

Reaction score
I Freakin' wish! I have received 6 pairs so far. The wait absolutely sucks. It's not that big of a deal though, especially since at this point in my career I don't have to wear a suit.

Here is what I ordered:
Prestige, Philip II:
1. Dark brown museum [2 pair]
2. Parisian brown museum
3. Plum museum
4. Chestnut misty
5. Black
6. Dark oak
7. New Gold museum
8. Dark brown misty
9. Parisian brown misty
10. Burgundy
11. Dark brown
12. Antique dark oak
13. Antique burgundy

I am considering pewter museum calf as well.

1. Pewter is what they call tobacco. I have it. I prefer a darker black pewter which JL have but still get it nonethless.

Saw their red museum and blue museum. Got their green museum. You should seriously consider them. And where is sky blue museum and off white or pale grey museum? You can consider those too.

2. You are fast on your way to becoming Aportnoy. Although if you are not wearing them for your business-wear, I don't know how it fits with your wardrobe. You wear your JL with jeans?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Er, could you in a sentence or 2 explain the greatness of the wood peg method vs the sewn method?

it's a question of faith and it has been discussed ad nauseum.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Pewter is what they call tobacco. I have it. I prefer a darker black pewter which JL have but still get it nonethless.

Saw their red museum and blue museum. Got their green museum. You should seriously consider them. And where is sky blue museum and off white or pale grey museum? You can consider those too.

2. You are fast on your way to becoming Aportnoy. Although if you are not wearing them for your business-wear, I don't know how it fits with your wardrobe. You wear your JL with jeans?

I already tried to get red museum calf. They said they are all out. They are all out of chestnut museum calf. I would love green shoes but I'm scared they might just be a novelty. What would I wear them with? In terms of a suit that is.

I only wear oxford style shoes with suits. Derbies are for everything else.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Snortle snortle! Was it fritzl who said SCs are made in Romania factory?

this is commen sense and this fact is not hidden by them, so what.

Jangofett

Reaction score
I would love green shoes but I'm scared they might just be a novelty. What would I wear them with? In terms of a suit that is.

Brown, grey, khaki. Same colour shirts and yellow shirts. Possibilities are endless.
Ask Spoo. He seems to have a love affair with green shoes.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

er, why are we discussing machine made shoes out of northhampton in this thread??? just sayin...

ps: xia, i have you on ignore. thankfull to the possibility to read a comment without removing from the list, i dip into your tirades sometimes... nuff said.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
er, why are we discussing machine made shoes out of northhampton in this thread??? just sayin...

ps: xia, i have you on ignore. thankfull to the possibility to read a comment without removing from the list, i dip into your tirades sometimes... nuff said.

cheers.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads