• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dieting - How do you fight hunger?

Clairborn

Reaction score
I almost put this in DT, since it seems like a stupid problem, but then I figured, what the heck it's a serious and very specific question to me.

So - I have consistently failed in my diets because I cannot find a way of consistently resisting hunger.

I want to learn how people have resisted those hunger pangs. What are some tips and best practices that you follow(ed)? Read any 'hunger-specific' books or learnt any strategies?

Smaller and more portions? Plain old fashioned willpower (does not work for me)? Hypnosis? You read a book?

I'm don't want to know about exercises or food content because I'm covered there. I just want to learn practical strategies and tactics on combating hunger.

Finally, I'm asking the question because one year ago I gave up smoking cigarettes, and it was not willpower alone. I read a book, planned a strategy, followed certain rules....and succeeded. I want to know if I can do something similar again.

So now I'm searching to develop a strategy against hunger. I know exercise, I know portion control, I know food content....but I don't know hunger.

Thanks.

tomenugen

Reaction score
If you are truly eating healthy, putting down 2000-2500 clean calories becomes a task.

Clairborn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoloRouleur
EC Stack

/thread

Originally Posted by Krish the Fish
adderall

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm not looking to go the pharmaceutical route yet.

Originally Posted by tomenugen
If you are truly eating healthy, putting down 2000-2500 clean calories becomes a task.

Interesting concept; where I can research this more?

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Eating healthy entails minimal bread/starch/pasta etc... which would be the bulk of your calories from carbohydrates. If you look up nutrition facts for most green leafy vegetables (or most vegetables other than starchy ones like potatoes, etc.) then you'll see that they have very little caloric content, while their nutrients to calories ratio is enormous. Therefore, the bulk of your calories will be from protein and fat (so your meat essentially), and it is difficult at least for me to put down 1000-1500+ calories of meat a day.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Clairborn
So in essence it becomes a low carb diet, yes?
Starving is completely unnecessary. You must avoid processed foods and stick to things found in the periphery of the supermarket -> fruits, vegetables, meat, some dairy, some eggs. Soup is also good. Get some Sriracha Sauce and some non sugar Marinara Sauce. Microwave a bowl of frozen mixed vegetables, mix in some tablespoons of Marinara Sauce and you've got a filling lunch. Have an omlette with Sriracha Sauce, the stuff makes anything taste really good. Read "Fit for Life" by Harvey Diamond. It's $8. I lost 1/3rd of my body weight thanks to the eating program in that book. I never get hungry.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eating vegetables which are complex carbs make digestion take longer and help curb hunger pangs. For example, a vegetable omelet in the morning will last much longer than cereal and starchy foods because the veggies take longer to digest.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Clairborn
I almost put this in DT, since it seems like a stupid problem, but then I figured, what the heck it's a serious and very specific question to me.

So - I have consistently failed in my diets because I cannot find a way of consistently resisting hunger.

I want to learn how people have resisted those hunger pangs. What are some tips and best practices that you follow(ed)? Read any 'hunger-specific' books or learnt any strategies?

Smaller and more portions? Plain old fashioned willpower (does not work for me)? Hypnosis? You read a book?

I'm don't want to know about exercises or food content because I'm covered there. I just want to learn practical strategies and tactics on combating hunger.

Finally, I'm asking the question because one year ago I gave up smoking cigarettes, and it was not willpower alone. I read a book, planned a strategy, followed certain rules....and succeeded. I want to know if I can do something similar again.

So now I'm searching to develop a strategy against hunger. I know exercise, I know portion control, I know food content....but I don't know hunger.

Thanks.

drink more water. you're probably dehydrated and your body might confusing thirst with hunger (I forgot where I read this...Men's Health?). eat in smaller portions. you don't have to sacrifice your favorite foods to lose weight but, be careful and do not use this advice to eat cake every night or some other sugar laden treat.

teacha.gif

Originally Posted by willpower
It's all about eating great tasting meals that fill you up. Starving is completely unnecessary.

You must avoid processed foods and stick to things found in the periphery of the supermarket -> fruits, vegetables, meat, some dairy, some eggs. Soup is also good. Get some Sriracha Sauce and some non sugar Marinara Sauce. Microwave a bowl of frozen mixed vegetables, mix in some tablespoons of Marinara Sauce and you've got a filling lunch.

Read "Fit for Life" by Harvey Diamond. It's $8. I lost 1/3rd of my body weight thanks to the eating program in that book. I never get hungry.

+1 especially the Sriracha Sauce. that stuff is amazing

Ty_Webb

Reaction score
Three things which work for me. Number one is drink a LOT of water. If you're hungry, drink water. It'll give you a feeling of fullness for a bit which tricks you into not being hungry (and also deals with mr.orange's point about confusing thirst for hunger). Number two is to distract yourself. Do a crossword or read a book or watch something on TV (just make sure it's something that will engross you). The third and the one I found most useful was to learn to embrace it. If you feel hungry, it means your diet is working. At least, that's what I told myself and it seems to work for me. I'm down about 57 lbs this year so far. Got a ways to go but am definitely moving in the right direction.

Reaction score
Here is something interesting: when your blood sugar is low, your executive functioning is impaired. In other other words, when you are hungry you make poor decisions, including about food. So eat a piece of fruit or something before you decide what to have for dinner.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
Eating vegetables which are complex carbs make digestion take longer and help curb hunger pangs.
You are essentially describing what is known as the "Fiber Hypothesis", made popular by Dr. Dennis Burkett in the late 70s, and it has been disproven. It isn't about the volume or digestibility of the food you consume, but rather the quality of the nutrients. You can eat a large bowl of broccoli, and it might fill your stomach to capacity, but your body, and your cells, will still be without proper nourishment. In essence, you are starving yourself by way of stretching your stomach. They've done studies that show rats which eat chow mixed in with a clay mixture will keep consuming the clay until they've reached their bodies naturally determined caloric necessity. Some rats ruptured their stomachs in the process. They will keep eating because their bodies aren't "full", even if their stomachs are. "Hunger pangs" are curbed when you are actually no longer hungry. Try as you might, you can't trick the human body. OP, eat more fat and protein. Disregard calories. Limit carbohydrate intake. That will keep you satiated, and you might just lose some weight as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads