• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do women still know how to cook?

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I think that the OP presented it crudely, but he has a point. people in general, if it isn't their proffession of their hobby, don't cook as much or as well as they used to. middle class families don't eat that many home cooked meals around a table, unless it is a special occasion.

I agree, but I think the OP is off the mark by relegating his comment to women. Granted one could make the argument that "men never could cook to start with", but I would say that both sides are moving away from this practice.

Originally Posted by mgm9128
I made a thread about it a few months ago under my old username. I'm sure someone can dig it up.

I don't think this issue has anything to do with chivalry or equality, but rather a conditioned dependence on convenience and prepared foods. Why bother cooking when you can just buy something already cooked for you?

Then why focus on the womenz?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
she thinks women of a certain class with a certain education are obligated to "have it all"

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally feel it ends with cooking at home. Buying a pizza, sitting down and actually eating it as a family is still a step in the right direction, but still not quite there yet.

I agree. I don't think it should be a gender based role either. The problem is we have raised a generation of men to rely on food from their mothers or spouses, without ever teaching, or merely showing them, how to fend for themselves.

Then, when the time comes, and there is no one left to cook for them, they won't learn to cook, they will order a pizza. Because that's convenient.

Won't they? I think you're being rather presumptuous.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have had a strange upbringing as far as gender roles and parental relationships are concerned. I've mentioned in the past, but growing up my family ate all of our meals at a restaurant. We never, ever, ever cooked in the home. I think it was mostly due to my mother being a bit of a princess, not liking to cook, yet not having a job. My father got home from work and took us out to eat each night. Once in a while I would eat at a friends house and it was a real treat.

Like Mafoofan said, eating together was very formative and some great family times were spent eating together.

All of this basically made me the way I am. I cannot cook for the life of me and I loathe doing it. The only thing I know how to make is reservations. My girlfriend has been trying to beat it out of me for the last few years. She is very into healthy eating and cooking new interesting things, so once in a while we have a cooking date together. It is more like me complaining that I have dishes to clean and spending a lot of money on ingredients when we could have saved time going out.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
she thinks women of a certain class with a certain education are obligated to "have it all" and to browbeat their husbands into perfect 50/50 parternship in all things.

50/50 overall is essential. 50/50 in all things is a myth that makes a lot of people angry, unhappy, and very unpleasant to spend time with.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
50/50 overall is essential. 50/50 in all things is a myth that makes a lot of people angry, unhappy, and very unpleasant to spend time with.

please please please read the piece! I know you will be as smitten with sheryl as I was!
inlove.gif

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
Then why focus on the womenz?
I am merely using them as an example of the state of our current culture, in regards to food and cooking. I never said it was right or wrong that they be the ones solely responsible for providing food to the family. But, my question is: if they will no longer do it, who will?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
ojfc

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am merely using them as an example of the state of our current culture, in regards to food and cooking. I never said it was right or wrong that they be the ones solely responsible for providing food to the family.

I think you're implying it with your title, even if you made the refutation later. "Do people still know how to cook?" would have received a very different response.

But, my question is: if they will no longer do it, who will?

...men?

Is it me, or does anyone else not see this as such a huge concept to comprehend?

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
My current girlfriend, who coincidentally(?) is the one I am going to marry, is the first girl I've dated who can cook. My last seven or eight could not, but that was back in my trophy-hunting days. I find that trophy girls (in a superficial sense) tend to not really care about cooking, as most of their needs are already taken care of. One girl I moved into my house had a layer of dust on her kitchen utensils. I wound up cooking every night (which is much harder than you'd think with two people involved). She cleaned. I didn't mind, I hate cleaning.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
My current girlfriend, who coincidentally(?) is the one I am going to marry, is the first girl I've dated who can cook.
I wouldn't speak too soon..... she hasn't met me yet or eaten my cooking.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
...men?
Eh, I'm not entirely sure. Will a man take on the role once assumed for a mother to feed the family, and be sure a meal is eaten as a family? Or, will they do what's quick and easy? Sure, they can still find a way to feed themselves, but I think the issue is a bit more than just the ability to supply calories.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife cooks dinner just about every night. She really enjoys cooking, so she usually makes something pretty tasty. (Last night was chicken breasts sauteed with lemon and capers, couscous, and grilled zucchini.)

Until she developed a gluten intolerance, she used to make the most amazing bread, from scratch (as in grinding the Montana Prairie Gold wheat to make flour)

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure, why not? Lord knows my father did it when he was unemployed (long story). You should check out a book titled Do Men Mother. It's an ethnographic study of men who assume the duty of primary caregivers for their children. Sure, there were some men who shirked responsibility, but there were also a fair amount that took up the challenge. I believe that it's much more likely that you will see a man share responsibilities with his wife now than you would ever see in the past. Take a look at how many cooking shows on Food Network are now geared towards men. I think the opportunity is there, I just hope that there is a large enough push from society to ensure that home-cooked meals do not become a thing of the past.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads