• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aristocratic clothes

Rankiz

Reaction score
Is there still possible to obtain clothes similar to what the dukes and earls used in England? I've fallen in love with the details and clothing style, it is something more extraordinary than just a simple suit. I felt like I should've lived 130 years ago.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're talking about things like frock coats, then it would all have been made bespoke then, and you would need to get a bespoke tailor to make it now (if you can even find one with any experience making that kind of thing).

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rankiz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeDT
You'll probably have to go to a costume maker for period garments. Where they make that sort of thing for movies, TV and re-enactments. Maybe something like this: http://www.ushist.com/19th-century_wardrobe_f.shtml
Nope, that is not close to being sofisticated/elegant. Something like this:
oI1yh8

rms344

Reaction score
Ede and Ravenscroft does court dress and most of the robes and vestments worn in ceremonial processions. They can probably do whatever you would want but it'll cost you.

Rankiz

Reaction score
If you were inspired by the way the dressed before, what would you do to make your suit/outfit more linked to that period? A specific dress jacket that will fit well? Big loops the picture I linked to, was that normal? Any specific shoes I would opt for? If you know anything about it, feel free to share.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe to keep it more modern, wear a 3 piece suit with a traditional length overcoat.

Grenadier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rankiz
If you were inspired by the way the dressed before, what would you do to make your suit/outfit more linked to that period? A specific dress jacket that will fit well? Big loops the picture I linked to, was that normal? Any specific shoes I would opt for? If you know anything about it, feel free to share.

I'm sure that outfit would be fine at a costume party, or on Halloween. But I wouldn't try to "link" my outfit to that period, that would be far too costumed and affected.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That just a double breast vest + topcoat + trousers. You don't have to go to a custom shop for that.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's affected at all, just extremely eccentric.

The picture you linked is a Japanese cartoon representation of vintage English clothing, and as such is generic and isn't based in a specific 'real' period. You need to identify which specific & real period you're interested in before anyone can help you.

ShaneB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rankiz

How about the Regency 'bad boy' look:

Regency005.jpg

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score
There are ways and means of assembling the requisite outfit - Favourbrook might be a good start, as when I last looked they offered suitable shirts, cossack trousers, etc, whilst there is at least one waistcoat maker selling via eBay who offers a passable waistcoat. Frock coats have experienced a bit of a vogue for wedding hire purposes, so that might be another avenue, and emporai catering for the Steampunk crowd might be another.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by davesmith
271px-Family_of_Henry_VIII_c_1545_detail.jpg

Come on, that's archaic. More like this:

Andre-Deveria-Costume-Louis-XVI-101281.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics