• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conspiracy Theories

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why didn't the Soviets ever go to the moon? Their rockets were better designed than ours.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
Why didn't the Soviets ever go to the moon? Their rockets were better designed than ours.

Supposedly, there is a belt of radiation that no one could figure how to get through safely but us.

mellow

Reaction score
"One should not conclude too hastily that the degradation of American political practices is a decline in power. Behind this masquerade, there is a vast political strategy (certainly not deliberate; it would require too much intelligence) that belies our eternal democratic illusions."

- Jean Baudrillard

Originally Posted by JMRouse
The bigger the conspiracy theory, the harder it would be to keep secret.

I agree as a general rule, but the Manhattan Project is the first example that comes to mind where enormous amounts of human and natural resources were put into a project that was largely able to be kept secret. As mentioned earlier, not everyone needs to know that they are a part of the "conspiracy":

300px-Y12_Calutron_Operators.jpg

"Operators at their calutron control panels at Y-12. Gladys Owens, the woman seated in the foreground, did not know what she had been involved with until seeing this photo in a public tour of the facility fifty years later" (source: http://smithdray1.net/angeltowns/or/go.htm)

And for those that knew what they were a part of:

300px-Oak_Ridge_Wise_Monkeys.jpg

I spend a fair bit of my spare time doing research in various topics of interest (historical, nutritional, literature, art... the internet is great!) and I've looked at a few conspiracy theories. Most are outlandish and some are market driven as mentioned earlier. Sort of like televangelism. But don't let the outlandish theories predispose you to dismissing more plausible explanations that may have a conspiratorial ring to them. They're sometimes true. For example, isn't it a well known cynicism that many offices in government are for sale to the highest bidder?

Unfortunately, corporate power is much more banal in its evil than a super secret Illuminati committee that performs occult rituals and has "ruled" since time immemorial. Operation PBSUCCESS? Yawn. Tell me more about this cabal of Jews, they have just the right amount of "otherness" to hold my attention.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
Supposedly, there is a belt of radiation that no one could figure how to get through safely but us.

Also, once we beat them there, there wasn't really a point. Same reason we haven't been back, not much to be gained by manned missions compared to the cost.

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom

Well, partly because their rockets weren't good enough. The Soviets did have superior designs previously, but they had fallen behind by the time the US developed the Saturn rockets for the Apollo program. There was a push to go to the moon in the Soviet Union but it ultimately failed due to a lack and misallocation of resources. One problem was that they were not able to develop a large and reliable enough rocket in time to beat the US. Incidentally, the Soyuz spacecraft still flying to the ISS today was part of the Soviet moon program, the equivalent of Apollo.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you ever want to hear some truly sad/scary stuff, listen to old Russian recordings of between the ground crew and the manned missions. Sometimes they knew they were going to their death, and yet if they backed out, it would force the secondary crew to take their place. There are recordings online of doomed cosmonauts reentering earths orbit. And recordings of those who never did.

Costanza

Reaction score
The Bilderberg Group

Costanza

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Costanza
The Bilderberg Group

oops. Reread the OP. I put Bilderberg conspiracies along side the iIlluminati, and spooky movies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads