• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the appeal of the wings/horns x dayton service boots

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nazareth
His are the W+H variety and he also oiled them on his own.

yep mine were originally like that recently pictured, but I oiled them and they got darker.

if there is another sale sometime next year I'll probably pick up another pair and not oil them.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Islander
No.

You used OK Oil, right?

they are from the original W+H run, I have the WH stamp to prove this.

I used OK Oil and it permanently darkened them.
I'm hoping some sun exposure will lighten them up.

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blazingazn

I used OK Oil and it permanently darkened them.
I'm hoping some sun exposure will lighten them up.

They definitely will lighten up, just wear the hell out of them.

Islander

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blazingazn

Huh? I'm not sure what you are trying to prove.

Sorry if this is a touchy subject, but your boots have some old stock leather soles that Dayton was using up after their final run for the collab. They have nothing to do with Wings + Horns. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a big deal just showing they likely use the same leathers only wings and horns distressed theirs. When they sold it they said its one of the boots that came back. W+h didn't need it.
Originally Posted by Islander
Huh? I'm not sure what you are trying to prove. Sorry if this is a touchy subject, but your boots have some old stock leather soles that Dayton was using up after their final run for the collab. They have nothing to do with Wings + Horns. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Sent from my Nexus S

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Froosh
They definitely will lighten up, just wear the hell out of them.

yeah i certainly hope so.

they said it wouldn't change much, but it definitely changed the color tremendously.

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by irbe
Okay got my Munich black boots. I ordered a size 7.5 E
for the record I'm:
41 in Achilles low CP
7.5 in Alden Indy trubalance

Size wise they are a little snug in the toe are and I have some heel slip. With regular socks (uniqlo) my toes are fine but I feel the heel slip. With THICK socks there is less heel slip but my toes feel crushed.

Anybody know I nubuck leather will stretch width wise? Going o try insoles to eliminate the heel slipping but afraid if I do this it will crunch my toes.

Weird thing is I ordered E but they are stamped EE. probably a mistake. Anyways i had a chance to reorder I would have went with 7 EE

Anyhow below is some crappy iphone pics of the nubuck:

Dayton.jpg

Mine is stamped with the W+H (probably had some left over soles) and the topy is nailed down:

Dayton2.jpg

The nubuck is urber soft and eventhough its not super thick it looks beef enough to take some abuse. Anybody else have heel slip in the boot? It can be minimized a bit when I wrap the laces around the ankles. Are the boots suppose to be always tied up this way? Anyhow going to get some heel insoles after work to see how it feels. Still on the fence if I should exhcange these. For the amount I'm spending I want the boot to fit well.

pronxs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by irbe
For the amount I'm spending I want the boot to fit well.

tbh, for the sale price, i wouldnt bother if it fits 0.5 size off.
teacha.gif

onijo84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got to see my boots and i am just fuckin pissed off. They simply chucked a 8.5EEE when i asked for 8.5E. I paid for topy, this came with no topy. I asked for NO Dayton stamp, they stamped it. To sum it all up, the heel portion was not even nailed and it seems that they saved on the heel leather by sticking a thick piece of rubber.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
. This is just fucked up. 3months of wait and i get ****. I am gonna send them this back and get them to send me the right pair.

Cahrin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onijo84
I just got to see my boots and i am just fuckin pissed off. They simply chucked a 8.5EEE when i asked for 8.5E. I paid for topy, this came with no topy. I asked for NO Dayton stamp, they stamped it. To sum it all up, the heel portion was not even nailed and it seems that they saved on the heel leather by sticking a thick piece of rubber.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
. This is just fucked up. 3months of wait and i get ****. I am gonna send them this back and get them to send me the right pair.

Sorry to hear that. Not a good omen for my pending arrival as I ordered pretty much the same boots as you.

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onijo84
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Wonder if they will cover the shipping when u send them back. I'm curious as I might exchange mine. Like I said mine was had a 7.5 EE, instead of a 7.5 E.

onijo84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand this were $125 off. That does not mean they cut the corners on the heel portion with lesser leather. I made several calls the last 3 months just to make sure that at least i get the right pair shipped. I was on the phone with them when the lady told me that she is packing the box with my boots and they were the right size(8.5E). They had 9.5E packed earlier to be sent to my address.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
. If the call was not made, i would have gotten a 9.5E instead. The fucked up things is that they get annoyed when we keep repeating to them about the sizing, stamping, laces etc. Despite several reminders, they send them out like this.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

I am gonna speak to the CEO himself and sort this out. If they accede to what i am asking for, i will go on to get them exchanged. If not, i am going to ask for a total refund inclusive of shipping. As far as i am concerned, this is just pathetic service.

And to those who got them as you ordered, awesome!

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Smart man ...let us know how it goes. I'm pretty fed up already through multiple emails back and forth and still no tracking or confirmed shipping

onijo84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
Smart man ...let us know how it goes. I'm pretty fed up already through multiple emails back and forth and still no tracking or confirmed shipping

Yeah will let you guys know how it goes. I do get how frustrated you are.

Despite all this crap, i still would say that these boots are definitely great. The brown leather is soft and supple and with some beating it will look like those w+h distressed ones. And i realised that my laces were laced up and not sent rolled up like those is the recent pictures..ths is suggestive of them probably taking a pair off the shelves and dumping into the shipment box to get over and done with...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads