• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Philip

Reaction score
So i want to buy the Black Fleece tab collar white oxford shirt but it has a shirt pocket which i don't like. Can this be sewn off?

Can anyone comment on the fit as well please for Black Fleece?

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How easy (or difficult) is it to alter the rise of a pair of pants?

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it ok to wear a tweed or flannel dark gray SC in the office to beat the air conditioning? Thing is, here in Singapore, almost no one ever wear a jacket or SC because its too hot.

But i don't want to look like all the others wearing a hoodie/trackjacet/windbreaker etc. Is it appropriate though because I will be better dressed than my bosses?
frown.gif

Gagno905

Reaction score
This is such a dumb question that I'm almost embarrassed. I just had a MTM grey suit made (my only other being charcoal) and wanted another pair of non-black shoes. I opt'ed for the Allen Edmonds Clifton in Walnut.
WK7Bt.jpg
The suit is a medium-gray. About this:
I6oQ4.jpg
So...what kind of belt can I wear with this? I've always taken to the shoes matching belt rule and I'm not sure if I can find a belt as light as the Clifton's. Should I just try to find something close, or does it even matter that much with a suit? With the jacket closed I can't see it being an issue as much, but when it's open the belt is visible. Save me SF.

kiteandkey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gagno905
This is such a dumb question that I'm almost embarrassed.

I just had a MTM grey suit made (my only other being charcoal) and wanted another pair of non-black shoes. I opt'ed for the Allen Edmonds Clifton in Walnut.

WK7Bt.jpg

The suit is a medium-gray. About this:

I6oQ4.jpg

So...what kind of belt can I wear with this? I've always taken to the shoes matching belt rule and I'm not sure if I can find a belt as light as the Clifton's. Should I just try to find something close, or does it even matter that much with a suit? With the jacket closed I can't see it being an issue as much, but when it's open the belt is visible.

Save me SF.

AE sells belts in the same color. For example, the Wide Basic Dress.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gagno905
These are great. Shame they won't fit my 28 waist though.

Thank you!

You can get any belt shortened easily. You don't need one that perfectly matches the shoes but it should be roughly similar in colour.

Mr Pelican Pants

Reaction score
Hello all.

What's the SF stand on black AE Park Avenues (brightly and meticulously shined, of course) with a tux? (I have to rent a tux for a wedding and I *hate* opera pumps.) Workable?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Pelican Pants
What's the SF stand on black AE Park Avenues (brightly and meticulously shined, of course) with a tux? (I have to rent a tux for a wedding and I *hate* opera pumps.) Workable?

While technically against the rules (shoes with black tie should either be opera pumps or patent leather) I think in most cases some well-shined Park Aves will be perfectly fine.

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a linen shirt with shoulder pleats. The back and sides are very billowy (Probably around 3" of extra material in the back). The tailor says he can take in the sides only an inch. I would like darts but seems they cannot be properly achieved with the shoulder pleats. What can I do? Thank you in advance.

Mr Pelican Pants

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
While technically against the rules (shoes with black tie should either be opera pumps or patent leather) I think in most cases some well-shined Park Aves will be perfectly fine.

Thanks!

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBear
I've got a linen shirt with shoulder pleats. The back and sides are very billowy (Probably around 3" of extra material in the back). The tailor says he can take in the sides only an inch. I would like darts but seems they cannot be properly achieved with the shoulder pleats. What can I do? Thank you in advance.
Once you go beyond a certain degree of tapering, you basically have to remake the shirt to get it to fit properly. It's almost never worth it when you could just buy a properly-fitting shirt.

KendallAndKendall

Reaction score
I was browsing styleforum and came across this blazer. I meant to subscribe to the thread, but i guess i forgot. Luckily, i saved a picture. Now to the question: Does anyone know which thread this is from? edit: about 30 minutes after my searching began, and just a few minutes after i posted this questions, i found the thread. thank you, sf god

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads