• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gitman Brothers Vintage

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I love their shirts but have trouble with their sizing. Mediums are to small, often measuring almost 20" p2p but the larges are 22.5-23.5" depending on the shirt making them too big. I need serving around 21-21.5" for the best fit....could live with a true 22" but even that is smaller than apat all the larges I've seen. I recently picked up 3 oxfords in L thinking they would work but I thinking they are all too big. Good thing in got them pretty cheap.

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a lot of new gitmans at acrimony...someone went through and swiped a lot of smalls though (I wanted to the indian madras or stars & stripes)

would a 10 or 15% code push anyone to kop? could see if they'd do a SF discount. (big maybe but worth a shot).

max-t

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was the one who got the stars n stripes slack my bad. Hope the small fits I'm 5'8 135. 10 or 15 off wouldve been nice. Prolly wouldve kopped two.

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by max-t
I was the one who got the stars n stripes slack my bad. Hope the small fits I'm 5'8 135. 10 or 15 off wouldve been nice. Prolly wouldve kopped two.

no prob at all. a small should fit you nice with those dimensions. I'm 5'8 130 lbs and a size small works great (most best fitting shirts for me are about 19" pit to pit).

malcolm4819

Reaction score
Gosh I wanted that stars and flag shirt ...Im small as well..have a nice fit I could do with that shirt.

Anyone know anywhere else that has that shirt in small?

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slack tide
a lot of new gitmans at acrimony...someone went through and swiped a lot of smalls though (I wanted to the indian madras or stars & stripes)

would a 10 or 15% code push anyone to kop?
could see if they'd do a SF discount. (big maybe but worth a shot).

Most def, Slack. I would love to get some of that stuff, but it makes sense to wait since affiliates have discounts and plus I have to pay tax in Cali.

kevc

Reaction score
Blue OCBD, XS.

img7061.png

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good fit, but the tail flare throws the entire look off. It's the main reason why I stopped buy GV shirts; that and their massive box pleat.

kevc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by benjamin831
Good fit, but the tail flare throws the entire look off. It's the main reason why I stopped buy GV shirts; that and their massive box pleat.

Interesting, I'm actually a fan of the flare (also seems kind of unavoidable with GV). If there were any gripe with the shirt it would be that I feel as if the sleeves could be a tad longer. Don't think it's worth sizing up for my next purchase though.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I like the flare too...that fit looks absolutely perfect to me. Wish I could find similar with GV.

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
One thing I've noticed about the flare is that it's much more pronounced when the shirt is new and it tends to mellow out with time. Remember that the shirt has most likely been sitting around folded for quite awhile and people usually do their fit pics right away.

As far as the fit goes, GV shirts are pretty amazing in the fact that they look good on a lot of different guys... maybe 75% of the people who I see try them on. (I work at a shop that sells GV) and that's rare! Think about all the different body types out there... even within this typically body-conscious demographic.

Of course there are things that could be improved on the fit, but it really works well for the target customer. My opinion would be to change the balance between the front and back of the shirt. I feel like the front is a tad small for people with any kind of pecs, and the back is just a little too roomy for most. The balance could shift without changing the overall fit.

I think it's unrealistic for us to expect to get shirts off the rack that fit perfectly. Sometimes we can get lucky, but there is no shirt pattern that will fit everybody. In terms of fitting well for lots of guys, Gitman does a damn good job!

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. I really like Gitman Vintage. There is no perfect shirtmaker (every shirt has a flaw, or many flaws), but I think Gitman is a good balance with lots of positives (fabric, fit, quality) and a few negatives (box pleat, buttons). What's interesting is that their factory is in the basement of the Gitman's house! This is an interesting read if you are interested in Gitman Vintage... http://allplaidout.com/2010/06/facto...t-gitman-bros/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads