• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conservative Business Dress

Con Biz Dresser

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
All you can point to that's "messy" are the supposedly rumpled shoulders. Look, if you want to wear NFL equipment in a business enviornment, you're welcome to it. You can even call it "conservative" if you want. But just saying it won't make it so.

Just as saying that your suit looks better and more conservative than the Jos. Banks that I am now wearing doesn't make it so.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Con Biz Dresser
Just as saying that your suit looks better and more conservative than the Jos. Banks that I am now wearing doesn't make it so.

But I didn't say that. I haven't even seen your suit. You're grasping now, K-man.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree completely. Who wants a boring dog when you can have a pet that looks half beaver, half duck? The only mammal that lays eggs.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

While the platypus rocks, it isn't the only mammal that lays eggs.
platypus.jpg

Echidnas actually lay eggs too.

250px-Short-beaked.echidna.arp.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zarathustra
While the platypus rocks, it isn't the only mammal that lays eggs.
platypus.jpg

Echidnas actually lay eggs too.

250px-Short-beaked.echidna.arp.jpg

Did you have to call me out like that? You're making me look weak in front of the K-man.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
If you're the bootlicking junior associate, sure. You probably drive yourself to work, too.

Nope. They had a cot installed for me right in my office.

Con Biz Dresser

Reaction score
But I didn't say that. I haven't even seen your suit. You're grasping now, K-man.

Sorry Manton but I feel secure enough with my level of conservatism and overall style that I don’t need your validation. A non-rumpled shoulder is a pretty common occurrence in most offices; even if the wearer isn't dressed conservatively, so I am sure you don’t need to look far to find one.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Con Biz Dresser
Sorry Manton but I feel secure enough with my level of conservatism and overall style that I don't need your validation. A non-rumpled shoulder is a pretty common occurrence in most offices so I am sure you don't need to look far to find one.

Fair enough, man. Wear your armor in good health.

Con Biz Dresser

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
So, you wear Jos. A. Bank, which makes you more conservative than what, business casual?

Nantucket, I have a feeling that you and many members of the forum have not been in a Jos. A. Bank recently.

Con Biz Dresser

Reaction score
Fair enough, man. Wear your armor in good health.

I think any person who is professionally minded in the work place views their suit as a type of armor, so I will and hope you do the same in good health!

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just took another look at the picture, and to my eye, that shade of gray looks too light to be conservative. Gray is so '80s.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
I just took another look at the picture, and to my eye, that shade of gray looks too light to be conservative. Gray is so '80s.

Gunning for a job at Barney's?

gehrig

Reaction score
Manton, it's great that you have tried to tackle conservative business dress pictorially - the ensemble you posted looks very conservative. I do think Kapser has a point regarding the shoulders, although not about their degree of conservativeness, but rather their degree of business(ness?). There's nothing fashion forward or flashy about them, so they don't lack conservativeness at all, but in this photo they do look a little slouchy and I think a cleaner, crisper line would look more "business." Just my thoughts, I think that's what Kasper is getting at but I could be wrong.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manton,

Does this outfit qualify as UCBD?

grayhickjn6.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads