• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
his points aren't actually all that different from arguments here that surface all the time.

Workwear/america dudes jack themselves off on quote-unquote authentic reproductions of **** from generations ago, while goth ninjites/designer fanboys are (arguably) brandwhoring/hype-wave-riding.

Of course, he sets himself as "above it all" by posing a teleological "people grow out of SW&D and into MC" which is kind of offensive, but it really just reiterates a lot of arguments regarding the different stylistic "poles" that pop up every once in a while.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^Your all black summer fit was so dope.

I love how they can't discern the difference work and play. Nobody wants to wear a suit when they're off the clock plus the whole thing has such a negative (insert french phrase of choice) image in this day and age. They need to wake and smell the worsted wool. There are very few professions where a suit is needed these days it's just a costume like all the rest. I think they like to wear them casually because it makes them feel BAWS when they step out the door not realizing they actually look like drones.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Why are the ads taking up 1/3 of my screen real estate?

They're making me want to click and buy (10).

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That guy's post is more indicative of SW&D's collective approach to clothing two or three years ago. I don't see much fawning over the heritage stuff anymore. Or at least, nowhere near the level of where it used to be. Most people in SW&D seem to have moved on to the "baller" aesthetic or the more left-of-center takes on heritage/work wear stuff.

Now, go over to Superdenim and that guy has a point. But he's off the mark, since he's not referencing Sufu at all.

BreezyBirch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah but he's basically just as bad and (way more arrogant) than those he's deriding...so it's kinda bs

thatguymj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
^Your all black summer fit was so dope.

I love how they can't discern the difference work and play. Nobody wants to wear a suit when they're off the clock plus the whole thing has such a negative (insert french phrase of choice) image in this day and age. They need to wake and smell the worsted wool. There are very few professions where a suit is needed these days it's just a costume like all the rest. I think they like to wear them casually because it makes them feel BAWS when they step out the door not realizing they actually look like drones.

Well put, Jet.

You may post bs from time to time, but above is truth.

That guy also seemed to say the average person in SWD is college aged, I strongly disagree. Most here seem to be mid to late 20s to early 30s, if I had to guess based on pictures.

They seem to think far too highly of themselves on that side of the forum which was one of the many reasons I may have started reading this site for the MC stuff but I quickly moved over here. I still dress MC often for work and other special events, but when I can, I would NEVER choose to dress like that over SWD.

Oh, and btw, I am in my 30s and an accountant. Maybe more of a typical MC type of job and age, but kill me if I ever start acting and dressing like most of the stuck up, rule following sheep over there.

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People need to stop taking clothing so seriously. At the end of the day I don't care what you shmucks wear day to day (seriously, some over the top goth ninja kid or uncontrol wouldn't gather a head turn from me) just like none of you give a rat's ass what I wear (although my love of J Swag seems to garner at least a weekly reference from some).

Wear what makes you comfortable and suits you. Those that know me IRL agree that what I wear suits who I am, just like I'm sure uncontrol's (I know I mentioned him twice) outfits match his personality and sq4you's (picked because I occasionally enjoy trolling him for no better reason then it gets an amusing rise out of him) choices in clothing match who he is as well.

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would you dress and have no one ever hate on it? Who would that make such a person: Justin Timberlake, that's who.
Originally Posted by KitAkira
It's a quote from Azzedine Alaïa. She took some shots at Lagerfeld, too
she? Anyway I'd **** Wintour.
Originally Posted by gats
just discovered Balmain sells human hair
uhoh.gif

would you wear extensions made of fake hair? Even barbie has real hair dude.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"This is not the same as MC, where despite the ribbing we often get the clothes we wear are almost always never fascimiles of things done long ago"

(10?)

"Being, well - avant garde - craft often takes a backseat to art, things are not made to last, the taking of novelty as a self-evident plus engenders an inevitable (over)reliance on the seasonal cycle with designer/brand-driven trends/fads is to me - which is to me, its bête noire."

Except that you can go back and look at a Pierre Cardin dress or an old Comme des Garcons collection and it still feels fresh and interesting. There's always a period of backlash - I have a hard time stomaching most late 80s/90s high fashion - but even though the 'things are not made to last' (which does a really impressive job of underselling the amount of artisanship that goes into, e.g., a Burton-era McQueen dress), their appeal, and often even their shock value and sense of cool, is still there.

tldr MC is full of tools but to quote LeVar, you don't have to take my word for it

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, same guy:

"I think most of SW&D falls into either 1 of 2 major dichotomies"

learn2talk douche maneuver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads