• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conservative Business Dress

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

And shoulder padding is NOT CONSERVATIVE. It is for designers and goombahs.

whatisclub4fl.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
Drinking again Manton?

Yes, plain water. My doctor told me to cut down on carbonation. He said it made me "excitable." BTW, you should have seen what that nudge was wearing at the time.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Con Biz Dresser
Manton, you could make your argument more respectfully if you really want to make a sincere point. While I do know that words still have meaning I can't help feeling that you seem to be minting your own, but maybe you are just trying to be sarcastic which I am only catching up with now.

There is a Chinese parable that says the best horse gallops when it sees the shadow of the whip. The average horse gallops when it hears the crack of the whip. And the worst horse gallops when it feels the whip in its bones.

Taking you a while to get up to speed, Kasper?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Manton, you could make your argument more respectfully if you really want to make a sincere point. While I do know that words still have meaning I can't help feeling that you seem to be minting your own, but maybe you are just trying to be sarcastic which I am only catching up with now.

Kasper, this whole thread is a monument of respect. I started it for your benefit, because I respected your oft-stated desire to discuss Conservative Business Dress. Now you out yourself as a phony, as a non-conservative, and that's my fault?

And I haven't minted any new words. Scour this thread for neoligisms. You won't find any. The closest thing was "irrealis," thrown out to impress us by that blowhard Teacher. But it turns out, that's a real word.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
The entire thread is so obviously a put-on.

If it was serious, he would not have shown a photo taken at a forward fitting with so many adjustments needed before the suit is finished.

Like the suits your friend picked up in London unfinished, but fully paid for?

Look again, bub. My suit is done, and it's conservative.

Con Biz Dresser

Reaction score
Kasper, this whole thread is a monument of respect. I started it for your benefit, because I respected your oft-stated desire to discuss Conservative Business Dress. Now you out yourself as a phony, as a non-conservative, and that's my fault?

And I haven't minted any new words. Scour this thread for neoligisms. You won't find any. The closest thing was "irrealis," thrown out to impress us by that blowhard Teacher. But it turns out, that's a real word.

Manton, to benefit or to mock me? My sense of humor might be slow at times but I do know the difference. Next time maybe you could make it a poll to better assist you in ridiculing a fellow forum member, past or present.

You might not have minted any new words in this thread but it seems you have made your own meanings for a few. Since when has conservative meant messy?

Clio

Reaction score
My suit is done, and it's conservative.
It sure is conservative, since it doesn't seem to have evolved from any actual style. It appears to have sprung forth, wholly made, from the mind of God. You really shouldn't have taken a suit He made on the first day however. You might have waited until He had perfected his craft. It's kind of like taking a duckbill platypus for a pet instead of waiting for a dog.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manton, to benefit or to mock me? My sense of humor might be slow at times but I do know the difference. Next time maybe you could make it a poll to better assist you in ridiculing a fellow forum member, past or present.

You might not have minted any new words in this thread but it seems you have made your own meanings for a few. Since when has conservative meant messy?

crackup[1].gif

Caffeine time for someone, methinks!

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone who comes near my closet with even one shred of newsprint is going to get his @$$ kicked.

Sounds like someone else is looking to get his @$$ kicked. Watch it, resident of Britain boy.

You've hired security personnel?

boxing[1].gif

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are short sleeve dress shirts acceptable for conservative business dress? i got ink stains on the last few i had from stuffing them with the NY Post. Before I purchase more, i want to make sure that they are acceptable for conservative business dress.

I was in a meeting with VP's from a respected japanese electronics company and they were wearing short sleeve dress shirts. So I mean it has to be ok right?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Since when has conservative meant messy?

All you can point to that's "messy" are the supposedly rumpled shoulders. Look, if you want to wear NFL equipment in a business enviornment, you're welcome to it. You can even call it "conservative" if you want. But just saying it won't make it so.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
You've hired security personnel?

boxing[1].gif

Yeah, my tailor is a boxer. Take it up with him.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zarathustra
Are short sleeve dress shirts acceptable for conservative business dress? i got ink stains on the last few i had from stuffing them with the NY Post. Before I purchase more, i want to make sure that they are acceptable for conservative business dress.

I was in a meeting with VP's from a respected japanese electronics company and they were wearing short sleeve dress shirts. So I mean it has to be ok right?

No more ok than forming plurals with 's !

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Clio
It sure is conservative, since it doesn't seem to have evolved from any actual style. It appears to have sprung forth, wholly made, from the mind of God. You really shouldn't have taken a suit He made on the first day however. You might have waited until He had perfected his craft. It's kind of like taking a duckbill platypus for a pet instead of waiting for a dog.

I agree completely. Who wants a boring dog when you can have a pet that looks half beaver, half duck? The only mammal that lays eggs.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads