• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much are you willing to pay for cufflinks?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oddly enough, cufflinks are the one area where I still go cheap since I don't wear them that often. None of mine cost over $30 even though I'm perfectly comfortable spending $1000+ on shoes or a watch.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am working with my jeweler to make me a custom pair of handmade cufflinks (made in NYC) that fit closely to the OP's description (except larger stones). The cost of materials and labor on such a pair is approximately $700 (modification of existing mold to make them suitable for cufflinks, materials, labor, gem setting, finishing, etc).

Understand that most retailer's profit margins are 2x cost, so it'd be tough to get to the $250 price point. Robert Talbott has some cufflinks that might meet with the OP's ideas, and those retail close to or above $500 after taxes.

That is the reason that we don't see such cufflinks sold by American retailers for $150 to $250.

Any less than $450 is not realistic.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawnerd
I figured such a broad inquiry would elicit varied responses. But I was just wondering because it seems there are few American retailers who offer quality and affordable double-sided cufflinks. Trianon and VCA make mighty fine-looking links, but $1,000-2,000+ is a whole other league. For $150-250, what is out there?

plenty. i got a noice pair of bvlgaris for $170. go to a nice local jewelry store (read = not a crap chain mall store where you will overpay for **** goods) and haggle a bit. you will be surprised what you can easily get done.

lawnerd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
I am working with my jeweler to make me a custom pair of handmade cufflinks (made in NYC) that fit closely to the OP's description (except larger stones). The cost of materials and labor on such a pair is approximately $700 (modification of existing mold to make them suitable for cufflinks, materials, labor, gem setting, finishing, etc).

Understand that most retailer's profit margins are 2x cost, so it'd be tough to get to the $250 price point. Robert Talbott has some cufflinks that might meet with the OP's ideas, and those retail close to or above $500 after taxes.

That is the reason that we don't see such cufflinks sold by American retailers for $150 to $250.

Any less than $450 is not realistic.

I don't doubt a steep price for bespoke cufflinks. After all, yours are being made once and a lot of work is involved (sculpting, molding, casting, etc.). In fact, I'd say most of the cost is labor-related. Silver is relatively affordable, and depending on the stones used, they too can be affordable (especially considering jewelers have wholesale suppliers). That said, though, labor costs decline when the same mold is used to produce multiple pairs of the same style of cufflink. Thus, a $300 mold fee to sculpt and create a pair of cufflinks is very cheap when when a retailer orders 300 pairs cast from that mold. Perhaps $250 is ambitious, but I still don't understand why the cufflink market consists of one-sided cheap-looking silver links for $150 at one end, and $2,000+ for ultra-exclusive links at the other. (Note: I'm leaving out antique links, which I love, because new can be just as good)

lawnerd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
plenty. i got a noice pair of bvlgaris for $170. go to a nice local jewelry store (read = not a crap chain mall store where you will overpay for **** goods) and haggle a bit. you will be surprised what you can easily get done.

Pics? I'm interested.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pics? I'm interested.

this is the only pic i have at hand right now, there are sterling silver.
2011-01-27_23-14-23_306-1.jpg

they make (or they did anyway, but i imagine they still do) all kinds of stuff with onyx and other colored semi precious stones. most in sterling retail in the $300+/- range but you can easily bargain that down. tiffany has similar stuff IIRC but they dont haggle for ****. good luck
smile.gif

edit - just checked online. the selection is diferent than when i bought but have a gander if you like. scroll over for prices

http://us.bulgari.com/productList.js...&viewMode=true

Agatha Crusty

Reaction score
I'd pay no more than 50 euros for a modern pair, but I'd go higher for a nice vintage pair. Not too high mind you, unless they were particularly stylish and unusual, then I'd pay say 100 euros.

They're only for holding a cuff together and to be honest I don't dress with the thought in my mind that I may run into a cuff-link aficionado. How it looks is most important to me and no-one has to break the bank for that.

Most of my double cuff shirts are buttoned fold-back cuffs, so it's not a problem I even run into that often.

lawnerd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
this is the only pic i have at hand right now, there are sterling silver.
2011-01-27_23-14-23_306-1.jpg

Nice, but not exactly what I had in mind. When you mentioned Bvlgari, I figured there would be branding of sorts on them. Not really into brands or designers for that matter. Much more interested in quality, double-faced cufflinks that are unique but understated. Thanks for the suggestion though!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice, but not exactly what I had in mind. When you mentioned Bvlgari, I figured there would be branding of sorts on them. Not really into brands or designers for that matter. Much more interested in quality, double-faced cufflinks that are unique but understated.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

hey, to each their own. check out turnbull and asser. they have some pretty, different colored cufflinks. no branding.
smile.gif

http://store.turnbullandasser.co.uk/..._All_Cufflinks

still not exactly what youre looking for but worth a gander.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't doubt a steep price for bespoke cufflinks. After all, yours are being made once and a lot of work is involved (sculpting, molding, casting, etc.). In fact, I'd say most of the cost is labor-related. Silver is relatively affordable, and depending on the stones used, they too can be affordable (especially considering jewelers have wholesale suppliers). That said, though, labor costs decline when the same mold is used to produce multiple pairs of the same style of cufflink. Thus, a $300 mold fee to sculpt and create a pair of cufflinks is very cheap when when a retailer orders 300 pairs cast from that mold. Perhaps $250 is ambitious, but I still don't understand why the cufflink market consists of one-sided cheap-looking silver links for $150 at one end, and $2,000+ for ultra-exclusive links at the other. (Note: I'm leaving out antique links, which I love, because new can be just as good)

again, that $700 is an estimate for the labour, materials, etc. The actual "price the links are sold for" will be higher.

Yes, the pricing for mass produced cufflinks will be better than that, but the workmanship might be worse, etc. You will be hard pressed to find quality handmade in America cufflinks for less than $600, price of sale.

lawnerd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
again, that $700 is an estimate for the labour, materials, etc. The actual "price the links are sold for" will be higher.

Yes, the pricing for mass produced cufflinks will be better than that, but the workmanship might be worse, etc. You will be hard pressed to find quality handmade in America cufflinks for less than $600, price of sale.

Would love to see when they're finished!

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Non-swivelback cufflinks, made in NYC.

18kt YG crown with ~36 diamonds per crown

matching London Blue topaz main stones

.925 Sterling Silver Rhodium Plated Body

Ruby "lagniappe" cabachon on back

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads