• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Site Topics - Part II

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Way too much in ads. Looks horrible. Uncomfortable to read threads now.
frown.gif

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
J of Fok,

is this sidebar a glitch or is this the way the new site will be? give it to me straight.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
I'd like to add that 300 px is a third of my netbook's screen width, and there are plenty of narrower devices out there.

rimshot.gif

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
J of Fok,

is this sidebar a glitch or is this the way the new site will be? give it to me straight.

+1

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The sidebar is not a glitch, though it is not in its final form right now. I know it looks ridiculous currently.

In the future the sidebar will also be used to deliver useful content such as tags, reviews, etc. I think you guys will like it, actually. I didn't at first, but it grew on me.

If it is really too much, we may adjust it later on as well.

Edit: also, it will only be alongside the first couple of posts on a page - not as intrusive as currently.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
I'd like to add that 300 px is just under a third of my netbook's screen width, and there are plenty of narrower devices out there.

Ditto. I just measured it with a ruler, and the usable text space for thread content is now 4.5".

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Way too much in ads. Looks horrible. Uncomfortable to read threads now.
frown.gif

+1

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
The sidebar is not a glitch, though it is not in its final form right now. I know it looks ridiculous currently. In the future the sidebar will also be used to deliver useful content such as tags, reviews, etc. I think you guys will like it, actually. I didn't at first, but it grew on me. If it is really too much, we may adjust it later on as well. Edit: also, it will only be alongside the first couple of posts on a page - not as intrusive as currently.
There is no such thing as a sidebar that is not intrusive. The current sidebar takes up hundreds of pixels of horizontal space in a block at the top-right of a page. It leaves a huge gap at the right side of any thread with enough posts that they extend downward below the bottom of the block. (Even if it were a float:right block and the lower posts had full 100% width again, it would be annoying to say the least.) You can insert as much space adspace as you want at the bottom of every page. You can revert to a thin row at the top of every page -- that was fine. But this enormous, garish, retina-****** eyesore of a giant billboard intruding upon every single page site-wide is nearly unforgivable from a user POV. If you are intent on preserving this format despite its hideousness and enormous potential for driving away visitors/pageviews, at the very least consider that having two columns of advertisers is unnecessary. The only thing that is the full width of the sidebar is the completely useless "StyleForum frontpage" graphic. Delete that completely and have one single column of 120px-wide affiliate graphics going down the side and it would be a huge improvement over what I'm looking at as I type this.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boys-

There's going to be a lot of cheese moved around over the next couple of days. You'll get used to it. Keep your heads and your manners and give reasonable feedback. Even gawker fixed itself eventually.

On a more serious note, the frontpage graphic is going to have to go. We are not about pink coats and astrakhan collars. Not primarily, at least.

alliswell, and SF is much greater than you think it is.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For starters, there's tons of unnecessary padding, especially in the sidebar keeping the advertisers from accidentally brushing against one another's typographical unmentionables. There's almost 100 pixels of empty space hardcoded into any given horizontal thread cross-section:
XV6LF.jpg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like Jeremy said, the side bar will actually be used for other things as well. The sidebar there right now is a simplified version - mainly because VB can't support everything we are going to have there.

For example, the sidebar, in the new B&S system, will list all of the same seller's items (like an Ebay store, but right there on the page). On the front page, the sidebar, for logged in users, will see their messages.

People in the sandbox system can see this. In stitches, I will send you the test site info, so you can see what there is there. You can log in as yourself once you are there. Please take a look.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly I will gladly take sidebar ads if it means the performance (lag) of SF dramatically improves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads