• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF Meetup: South Texas Edition Updated

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
+1

Also, would everyone be open to ideas for places outside of the downtown area?

Honestly, I would prefer somewhere downtown. The city of San Antonio is beautiful and I haven't been there in a while. As far as I remember, the nearby suburbs were incredibly ghetto, so the city is pretty much where I'd want to be.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rock on. Unfortunately, I have quals on the 15th. By the 13th I expect to be insane and only able to spout random physics theorems.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
Honestly, I would prefer somewhere downtown. The city of San Antonio is beautiful and I haven't been there in a while. As far as I remember, the nearby suburbs were incredibly ghetto, so the city is pretty much where I'd want to be.

How long has it been since you were here? Lots of nice locations to hang out in live in SA these days that are not ghetto at all. Having said that, I can understand the desire to want to go DT.

thedapperguru

Reaction score
I would be up for doing something similar in Austin. I've been thinking about doing something like this for a while now. I think I'll be able to make it to the SA one. Keep me posted.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Honestly, I prefer SA to Houston, as far as culture and entertainment.

this

Originally Posted by Imhoff
You have been cordially invited to attend this year's Styleforum Meetup

When: August 13th (As of 7/11/2011)

Where: San Antonio, Texas

Dress: Casual Evening (no flip-flops)

Confirmed(ish) Guests:

-Imhoff
-JMRouse
-Thomas
-Phreak
-MarcInDentonTx (?)
-HgaleK
-landshark
-Rosenberg (?)
-Withaque (?)

Agenda as follows: There is none as of yet. Offer suggestions!

**NOTE** Bring extra $$$ for bail money. Just in case a fellow SF'er needs it. No man left behind.**

Those who want to attend, please make restaurant/bar suggestions.

Oh yeah, almost forget, TEXAS! TEXAS! TEXAS! TEXAS! TEXAS! TEXAS! TEXAS! TEXAS! TEXAS! TEXAS! TEXAS! TEXAS! TEXAS!

Texas%20Fishing%20Online%20Map.jpg

Whaddya mean no flip flops? You want me to wear shoes when it's been 100 for 6 weeks?

Originally Posted by Withaque
Not for the meet up, just a bit of info for those in the area.

As for getting fucked up and picking up skanks, I'm sure that will not be a problem.

It IS San Antonio, after all.

Originally Posted by landshark

As long as it's not the F%^N Riverwalk. Stone Oak's quite arguably better than downtown.

Originally Posted by JMRouse
How long has it been since you were here? Lots of nice locations to hang out in live in SA these days that are not ghetto at all. Having said that, I can understand the desire to want to go DT.

There's some place called Martini that might be cool. Been wanting to go there.

I think I can be there if it's in SA.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
PM Whacked. He lives here too.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, I prefer the scene in Stone Oak, but it looks like most people are wanting to go DT. I'm with Steve B., that as long as it's not on the "F%^N Riverwalk," I'm fine with it. There are some good places that are not so touristy we can hit.

Let's start taking real suggestions for a location. Would be nice if it's not a large chain since people from out of town are coming. Something local.

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Whaddya mean no flip flops? You want me to wear shoes when it's been 100 for 6 weeks?.

You can wear em. Just means you are buying a round of drinks for everyone is all.

Yeah, I prefer the scene in Stone Oak, but it looks like most people are wanting to go DT. I'm with Steve B., that as long as it's not on the "F%^N Riverwalk," I'm fine with it. There are some good places that are not so touristy we can hit.

Let's start taking real suggestions for a location. Would be nice if it's not a large chain since people from out of town are coming. Something local.

Definitely need to start making some solid suggestions for this event. I don't care if it is in Stone Oak or DT.

And affordable for us non-big timers

Indeed it will be affordable.

Does anyone know if there is a section or something for Meet-ups since the upgrade?

chim

Reaction score
screw stone oak. You guys should do the meetup at The Esquire downtown, it's on an less traveled area of Downtown riverwalk and it's the oldest bar in Texas. Opened the first day after Prohibition ended, ambience is straight out of the 30s with a Mad Men esque vibe, and they serve some mean whiskey. Felt walls, candlelit with real leather chairs and the longest continuous wooden bar in Texas. After that, head over to Havana Bar, which is one of the best riverwalk hotel bars that only the locals frequent - great vibe. I'll drop by if I can fellas. Maybe swing on down to Southtown to Liberty Bar if you want to keep it classy, or The Friendly Spot if you wanna drink some beer under the stars.

San Antonio is a great idea.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score

And affordable for us non-big timers

this

You can wear em. Just means you are buying a round of drinks for everyone is all.

Definitely need to start making some solid suggestions for this event. I don't care if it is in Stone Oak or DT.

Indeed it will be affordable.

Does anyone know if there is a section or something for Meet-ups since the upgrade?

why do you think I own them? If I can't afford shoes I can't afford drinks. Tie dyes flip flops and my straw fedora...

screw stone oak. You guys should do the meetup at The Esquire downtown, it's on an less traveled area of Downtown riverwalk and it's the oldest bar in Texas. Opened the first day after Prohibition ended, ambience is straight out of the 30s with a Mad Men esque vibe, and they serve some mean whiskey. Felt walls, candlelit with real leather chairs and the longest continuous wooden bar in Texas. After that, head over to Havana Bar, which is one of the best riverwalk hotel bars that only the locals frequent - great vibe. I'll drop by if I can fellas. Maybe swing on down to Southtown to Liberty Bar if you want to keep it classy, or The Friendly Spot if you wanna drink some beer under the stars.

San Antonio is a great idea.

I've never been to any of these places. Sound like a *great* idea.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Liberty Bar is nice.

chim

Reaction score
I think the Esquire is perfect for beginning the meet up. Huge bar, lots of tables and booths for sitting down in the back, and it doesn't get overly crowded on a saturday night. A little caveat, I write for the San Antonio Current and live in Southtown so this may explain my familiarity with the area.

LMLuz.jpg

Here's a shot of the bar. What's not shown is the ample room and space with long tables in the back.

The Pearl Brewery area might also be a good spot to roam, but if you guys want to keep it within Downtown, it's hard to go wrong with the spots I listed. Plus you're a step away from your normal bars such as Pat O Brien's and things like that if that's more your scene.

Oh, and for the Havana Bar hotel, it's actually called Ocho Lounge now if you want to look it up.

r6Fia.jpg

0XUwz.jpg

http://www.havanasanantonio.com/ocho.shtml

Both locations are within walking distance and located on the riverwalk. Not your typical fare for sure, but it's very affordable, about on par pricewise with drinks at the more popular spots.

those pictures are actually from apartmenttherapy, full article here: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/la/...mmer-style-from-hotel-havanas-ocho-bar-148281

hope this helps!

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Great suggestions Chim! Esquire looks great as does Ocho Lounge. Surprised I have never heard of them or been there. Guess I have been spending too much time hanging out at the bars and lounges in the Stone Oak area since I live here and they are an easy drive. :laugh:

You said they are on the Riverwalk. They don't get too touristy do they? Also, I think everyone is wanting to keep this on slightly more the casual side. Would they be appropriate for that too?

Last edited:

chim

Reaction score
nope, both of them are pretty much locals only. They're on a quieter side of the riverwalk - it's hard to run into them on purpose. Esquire is big enough that there is rarely ever a wait, even when its packed. I think it's a great vibe, myself, and would fit the bill. As for casual side, these are probably the two bars in the downtown area that would fit perfect with that. It's no Coyote Ugly. The ambience kind of speaks for itself - definitely gems IMHO. You can peep the menus on their website as well.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads