• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Schmuck (ehemm WONDERFUL HUMAN BEING) Who Gave Jeter His Ball Back

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
Okay, 3000th hit, $10,000 + HR for 3000th hit $10,000 (being generous here) + First New York Yankee to have all 3000 hits in a Yankee Uniform $50,000 + Jeter being Jeter $35,000 - Sports Memorbilia market being down $15,000 = $90,000

dude....stop saying that the market is down.....this not a "MARKET" type item. there are VERY wealthy season ticket holders at yankee stadium and collectors worldwide that would step up. $250K may be a lot to regular people...it ain't to the wealthy..

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Besides the fact that this kid would have a huge tax liability, he did the right thing.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
dude....stop saying that the market is down.....this not a "MARKET" type item. there are VERY wealthy season ticket holders at yankee stadium and collectors worldwide that would step up. $250K may be a lot to regular people...it ain't to the wealthy..

That's it I quit. You're just trolling at this point. You offer nothing to back up anything you say.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
That's it I quit. You're just trolling at this point. You offer nothing to back up anything you say.

No I am not trolling. $250K is not a lot of money to a collector/wealthy Yankee fan.....

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
It would be really funny if Derek Jeter sold the ball.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shoreman
I can't say I agree with you. If ever there were two guys worthy of emulation by the young fans of the game, it's Jeter and Ripkin. If I had to go back in time and not be utterly infatuated with the play of Ken Griffey Jr., knowing what I do now about how important character is in an athlete, I'd likely have become a shortstop.

This has nothing to do with being pampered and overpaid. Their salaries combined with the treatment they get make them pampered. ****, the meal money these guy get on a daily allowance is more than most Americans make in a year.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
What an embarrassment this thread is.
Originally Posted by Rambo
You people should be shot.
See, you agree with me more often than you realize.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
****, the meal money these guy get on a daily allowance is more than most Americans make in a year.

OK. This is low-hanging fruit but I couldn't resist.

According to this, the average disposable income in Amerikkka in 2005 was $31,410.

Now, if we were to think NYR is correct (and there is no reason to do so) that means MLB players are getting $32k meal allowances. His poor word choice makes it unclear if he means that is what they receive daily or annually. I hope he means the former but I'm sure the latter.

So somehow these players will find a way to spend that much money on food for 162 days a year, forgetting that the clubhouse has food for them wherever they go and teams are spending $1.3 million on player food. Alone.

Really NYR, you are an all star poster.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
OK. This is low-hanging fruit but I couldn't resist.

According to this, the average disposable income in Amerikkka in 2005 was $31,410.

Now, if we were to think NYR is correct (and there is no reason to do so) that means MLB players are getting $32k meal allowances. His poor word choice makes it unclear if he means that is what they receive daily or annually. I hope he means the former but I'm sure the latter.

So somehow these players will find a way to spend that much money on food for 162 days a year, forgetting that the clubhouse has food for them wherever they go and teams are spending $1.3 million on player food. Alone.

Really NYR, you are an all star poster.

Your sarcasm detector may need an oil change...
eh.gif

B Hamilton

Reaction score
I hate this "right thing" statement. He made a personal choice. I do think if this guy played it right, he could make that $ and gain goodwill at the same time. I just hope he came to terms with the fact that everyone will mark his every professional move by how much he left on the table.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
http://mlb.mlb.com/players/jeter_derek/turn2/turn2us.jsp

Since its launch in 1996, the Turn 2 Foundation has awarded more than $12 million in grants to create and support programs and activities that motivate young people to turn away from drugs and alcohol, and "Turn 2" healthy lifestyles. Derek chose to concentrate his efforts in West Michigan where he grew up, New York City, where he works, and Hillsborough County, Fla., where he lives. Derek's goal is to guide kids in the right direction and help them become the leaders of tomorrow. Through the Turn 2 Foundation, he can take his passion for youth and his desire to give back to the community and mobilize it into a very positive force. The Foundation uses this force to support programs that promote healthy lifestyles, academic achievement and leadership development among youth.

Derek is honored and privileged to have both of his parents and his sister, sit on the Board of Directors for the Foundation. Charles Jeter serves as vice chairman, Dorothy Jeter as treasurer, and Sharlee Jeter as president. The Jeter family is proud of what has been accomplished through Turn 2. The positive impact on the youth it serves is evident in the many letters received. It is the family's belief to always be grateful and give back. They are genuinely concerned about young people because when they fail, so much potential is destroyed. By working together, they know they can help some very special kids fulfill their dreams and achieve everything they desire.

In addition to contributing his own funds, Derek hosts his annual Derek Jeter Celebrity Golf Classic in Tampa, Fla., and the Turn 2 Foundation Dinner in New York City to raise capital needed to successfully continue his many signature programs including Jeter's Leaders, Turn 2 Us Healthy Lifestyles, Turn 2 After School, Turn 2 Baseball Clinics, Proud To Be Me, Turn 2 Smart Moves, Holiday Express and the Turn 2 Endowed Scholarships. Recently, the Turn 2 Foundation donated $500,000 to launch the Derek Jeter Academy at Phoenix House in Tampa, an outpatient counseling center for troubled teens combining individual and family substance abuse treatment.

Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Summer school in NYC blows. The $$ is good though, ~$48 an hour, but I work afterschool during the year so I don't have to deal with summers. Afterschool sessions are voluntary and are enrichment-based rather than mandated. Dealing with kids who want to be there during the year is much better than dealing with kids who have to be there in July and August. What sucks is that I wind up blowing my afterschool checks during the year at Franks...
smile.gif

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone even know how the guy "gave the ball back"?

Did Yankee security home in on him and politely offered a trade? Or did he actually voluntarily do it?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
See, you agree with me more often than you realize.
You are an all-star in my book. Maybe like Atlee Hammaker in the all star game, but an all-star nonetheless.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads