• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conservative Business Dress

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I don't take sartorial advice from decadent, childless Europeans who take eighteen weeks of vacation every month. Get your birthrates up, your economic output above Zimbabwe's, grow a sack, then we'll talk.
bounce2.gif

Oh yeah.. this from a guy who's stockmarket is looking rather listless lately.. That 'pseudo' conservative suit better be warm cause your housing market is melting down!

I said, clear as day, if the tie clip was too much for you scared little kittens, ditch it and go the ultraconservative route.
Reading problems Mike? Remember... you were the one who wore that rather, ehem, flashy accessory in your first outfit.. claiming it 'conservative'.... maybe in an art gallery owner sort of way..

Once again, a reading comprehension failure. Pay attention, Little Dutch Boy:
Again, I think you need to sit down with our dear Dr. Bresch... You are telling us how to dress conservatively, and you came from CAL? Who was your mentor? The 'naked' guy? Ahhh, that explains your tie choice!

ABALO

Reaction score
This thread is really great... and so funny. That makes me want a piece of advice from Manton on a daily basis
crackup[1].gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does this qulaify as conservative?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rick Ocasek and Pee Wee Herman had a love child? Which one was the girl?

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is what European reallyreallyreally conservative business attire looks like. Good for torching villages and riding roughshod. Pity all the peasants emigrated to the US. Oh well.
Rustningth.jpg

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Too many pleats.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too much waist suppression.

According to some clothing book I read, so much waist suppression is not appropriate in a business setting. If the author posted here, he might be able to confirm.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with his choice not to wear a pocket square. Pocket squares have no place in conservative business environments or environments where pillaging, plundering or riding roughshod may be necessary.

summej2

Reaction score
But he has forgotten the most important rule: a jacket should cover one's rear. His is far too short and effeminate.

Con Biz Dresser

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me or my less advanced sense of humor but it seems like the only purpose of this thread is to ridicule a certain style of dress even if Manton's original post was done in a serious manner as I assume he owns that suit. While I actually like the ensemble on the whole I cannot help but to comment that the jacket might be more presentable if it were stored stuffed with paper as I have previously discussed and have been doing so since, as this jacket's shoulders look a bit rumpled to my eye which sort of defeats the purpose of dressing conservatively in a professional business environment.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Anyone who comes near my closet with even one shred of newsprint is going to get his @$$ kicked.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Con Biz Dresser
...as this jacket’s shoulders look a bit rumpled to my eye which sort of defeats the purpose of dressing conservatively in a professional business environment.

I think you're wrong here bub. See, in a conservative business environment you're supposed to look like you're so busy that you don't give a **** what you're wearing and the rumpled shoulders help advance that look. If your suit is not rumpled anywhere it makes you look like some dandy pantywaste who spends more time crumpling newspaper and putting it in his jacket sleeves than he does wheeling and dealing. Got it?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
I think you're wrong here bub. See, in a conservative business environment you're supposed to look like you're so busy that you don't give a **** what you're wearing and the rumpled shoulders help advance that look.

If you're the bootlicking junior associate, sure. You probably drive yourself to work, too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads