• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
And?
Pictures shows the lining on an untipped tie cut so as not to show. I had meant this in reply to the post above yours. Making the same point as you.

zeero3

Reaction score
I don't want to derail this thread AT all. On the contrary, I want to buy my first Sam Hober. However, I have no idea what is good/bad about a 3, 6, 7 fold. Why to have a tie tipped/untipped. Why to have it lined/unlined. I've looked and can't find the answer. I'd really like to purchase a tie from Hober, but feel a bit lost amongst the options...

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SaveMeJebus
Anyone have any experience with the Hober "Thai shot silk ties"? The colors look fairly amazing on the pocket squares, but have not seen anything in the tie variety.
I have several pocket squares of shot silk and they are marvelous. Although I don't have any shot silk ties, I wore my Saiphone silk tie on Friday and got multiple compliments: http://www.samhober.com/thai-saiphon...-square-9.html The picture doesn't do it justice, since the silk has a nice sheen and the mix of green and blue changes depending on the viewing angle. Unfortunately, I rarely wear ties and can't justify buying more Hober ties (though I'm very tempted), however I'm seriously considering several grenadine pocket squares. I've fallen in love with textured fabrics. And of course, David's service and product quality are first-rate.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sam Hober
Zeero3,

Your question is a good one.

A quick answer is that typically a classic 3-fold will always work well which is why it is a classic.

For loose weaves like a grenadine a 4-fold is more durable.

6-folds a luxury construction that drapes well and has the fascination of more folds - think gentlemen who love complicated watches.

Unlined 7-folds are similar to 6-folds but wrinkle more and do not drape as well - but have a lighter feeling if you seek that.

We are very much a service as we have no ready made ties and welcome your questions - please email as many questions as you like or post.

I am also very new to the bespoke tie world, so thanks to Zeero3 for the questions, and David for answers.

I am curious about the difference between tipped and untipped....

hatguy

Reaction score
I also hope to order a Hober soon and would appreciate advice on how tie width is chosen--I wasn't able to find any information.

Are there [somewhat objective] guides to best determine tie width?

How do you guys choose your tie width?

Thanks,

Slickman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hatguy
I also hope to order a Hober soon and would appreciate advice on how tie width is chosen--I wasn't able to find any information.

Are there [somewhat objective] guides to best determine tie width?

Thanks,

Wide lapel, wider tie, narrow lapel, narrower tie, it's all about proportion, I would go with 3.5", not too wide, not too narrow, makes a nice knot

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hatguy

I knew I wanted something narrower than my RTW ties so I started at 3.5 inchs. Then went to 3.25. I might try a little narrower at some point, but I am pretty happy with 3.25. What works for you will depend on your taste and your height (and how long you wear your tie -- I wear mine several inches shorter than the prevailing fashion, ending a couple of inches above the waistband).

The guidelines for choosing length on David's website worked pretty well for me; I have not changed the length since my first order.

hatguy

Reaction score
Thanks Slickman and BOV. 3.25-3.5" sounds about right for my frame and suit preference.

LynahFaithful

Reaction score
I'll jump on the bandwagon and say my two new grenadine ties (navy and bitter chocolate) are wonderful (sorry, no pic available). The pattern is beautiful, the colors "pop" and change in subtle ways depending on the lighting, the construction is flawless, and the service outstanding. Thanks David.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Just looking at the burgundy Grenadine ties, but am a little unsure of colour of the sample, as it appears quite dark, almost brown on my monitor. Any chance of any pics of a finished tie?

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
Just looking at the burgundy Grenadine ties, but am a little unsure of colour of the sample, as it appears quite dark, almost brown on my monitor. Any chance of any pics of a finished tie?

Grossa or Fina? What number/code is it? I'm looking at the Burgundy Garza Fina swatch (GFT-3) and that does look a bit brown/purple (like an old Bourgogne). Before checking the site, I thought GFT-2 was burgundy, but it's called dark red (and it does look more like a young and fresh Beaujolais).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads