• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HorseHide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coffeequeen
newbie-type question: does Alden ever offer the #8 cordovan shell plain-toe monkstrap in a last other than the Aberdeen? I know the monk has been offered with the Plaza last in calfskin, but have they ever done something in #8 shell with the modified or trubalance lasts, or similar? thanks.

"Alden" doesn't really vary from its standard line-up of shoes. "X" model is offered in some calf and black/color 8 shell on the "Y" last. Certain retailers will order runs of special make-ups; some are one-offs and some are signature-type make-ups where the retailer will have it in inventory as their special make-up.

The monk strap isn't the most popular shoe - there is less buzz associated with it. IMO a retailer isn't going to tie up the cash for a model that won't sell out quickly. Tom at Leather Soul did a NST monk strap last year in Ravello which is my favorite pair of shoes but aside from that I have not seen another special make-up monk and wouldn't expect to see many in the future.

mr chorizo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhcam8
Why couldn't you wear these w/denim?

I def can wear it with denim, but I'm an apc petit standard guy vs a Levis 501 guy. I guess it's about being overly preppy haha...

Originally Posted by HorseHide
+1 But...understand how the Van last fits (for me it isn't as simple as just sizing down a half size like with the Barrie)

Totally agree on van last being tricky to fit (slip ons in general are). I do have experience though in this case

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they should take the standard #8 monk and slap a medallion on it. instant 2x sales

CTYGGG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coffeequeen
newbie-type question: does Alden ever offer the #8 cordovan shell plain-toe monkstrap in a last other than the Aberdeen? I know the monk has been offered with the Plaza last in calfskin, but have they ever done something in #8 shell with the modified or trubalance lasts, or similar? thanks.
The monkstrap is also produced on the Leydon last.

HorseHide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr chorizo
Totally agree on van last being tricky to fit (slip ons in general are). I do have experience though in this case

Last bit of advice - Citishoes in NY has done a whisky LHS for a number of years, most often with dark edge trim (unlike Mac's which are the natural or antique edge trim). IMO the Citishoes version isn't as atrractive.

Other than that - go for it.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
they should take the standard #8 monk and slap a medallion on it. instant 2x sales

Shoe Mart has a medallion monk makeup although it also has a captoe.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhcam8
nice legs

prosthesis hips and knees does work wonders. only recommended if you need it

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr chorizo
Saw a pair of these for sale used, worthwhile purchase for a guy who wears denim 6 days a week?

i wear whiskey lhs with everything except a suit

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2v11120.jpg

color 8 lhs
argyles otc

number9dream

Reaction score
Do the LHS's have decent arch support? Most loafers do not (and make my feet hurt as a result).

mr chorizo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by number9dream
Do the LHS's have decent arch support? Most loafers do not (and make my feet hurt as a result).

i believe there is a steel shank in the LHS for some support. But they also have a low instep and for some that can be an issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads