• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WSJ: How Can Jeans Cost $300?

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
obvious douchemoron is obvious

mickey711

Reaction score
I'm glad I decided to check this thread
lol8[1].gif

BB1 nails it again and jet delivers the lolz

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by index1489
How would you know, you never even met me or seen what I look like? I find it funny you make fun of my car because I spent too much, but my clothes because I didn't.... I guess I could make fun of you for spending to much on clothes and driving a crappy car? Who is the douche? Its a 330i, get your facts straight before you try and say something smart. Yea your right the point is don't insult someone you don't know next time? What i was trying to say with the car is I know the value of spending a lot of money on something and keeping it for a really long time, as in with the car. Thats quality. Any more jealous haters? Doesn't matter because Im done arguing with idiots on the internet, and won't be visiting this thread again, you have a problem with me and live in Socal? PM ME i will be happy to meet up and discuss futher in person.
Originally Posted by jet
lol @ vorsteiner wheels
No reason to get the larger engine 3, not worth the price, and both cars look the exact same. The fact that you need to mention you spent more money on little improvement shows your need for both attention and "wealth" And its pretty cheap to lease both a 3 and e class and you could be pretty poor and still get one. And getting new rims are pretty pointless. And what's a long time? You know you are supposed to sell a bimmer once it hits a certain age/mileage right? If you want to talk quality a Lexus/Acura still last way longer with far fewer problems. There are also no real Levis until you get to the $120 range at least

jimmyfingers

Reaction score
Does anyone know how accurate the 30 dollar selvedge fabric cost from Cone is?

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw this jem, just as I was editing my post, I happen to be friends with the people from Vorsteiner, they only make forged wheels in the $3-4k plus range now, http://www.vorsteiner.com/

If you have a problem with them I would actually be really interested in hearing about it sincerely.

PM ME some pics of your ride?

Shut the **** up about your car. Is that your dad in the pic or is that you?

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unlike the price of a car, once the price of clothing gets to a certain point, your paying for nothing but a name.

I tend to find levis 511 jeans in the 40-80 dollar price range to be the sweet spot, and own about 12 pairs.

Theres a big difference between a 50k car and 25k one.

Originally Posted by stevent
I don't agree with your Levis point but for cars it is spot on. For example, while a Honda Accord is very reliable, gets great gas mileage, has leather and lots of features really can't compare to a BMW 5 with all the features above (maybe lower mileage and worse reliability, but not significantly) but also offers features such as xenon adaptive headlights (once you drive with these you can't every really go back), much better handling/speed and an amazing ride.

The sad part here is that after a few years, the value of the BMW will be around 15k while the Honda is probably around 9k or so.

The BMW may not be a better buy, but it is well worth the money. And if you don't want to pay 50k to start, get a used one for the same price as a new Honda.

You guy are kidding right? The cost difference between nice jeans and Levis is ~200-300, pricey but affordable. But 25K to upgrade a car? That's a much larger amount of money, and one that can't be so easily spent (unless you're ballin').

This car analysis is pretty bull. Some people might think 300$ for jeans is crazy but at least I'm capable of actually purchasing them without taking a large financial strain, even if it's just because "I like the way they fit better." But spending 25,000 more on a car that still gets me from point A to point B but just with "better handling/speed and an amazing right" seems more crazy to me, yet is perfectly acceptable to most people.

facepalm.gif

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyfingers
Does anyone know how accurate the 30 dollar selvedge fabric cost from Cone is?
The short answer: Yes. The longer answer: Yes, but you have to understand that Cone doesn't make just one roll of denim so that price may be low or high depending on which specific roll they purchased. The price could also be lower or higher depending on the amount ordered.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unlike the price of a car, once the price of clothing gets to a certain point, your paying for nothing but a name.

I tend to find levis 511 jeans in the 40-80 dollar price range to be the sweet spot, and own about 12 pairs.

Theres a big difference between a 50k car and 25k one.

No, you're wrong, at least about clothes. Just because you can't tell the difference, doesn't mean that differences are not there. Something as simple as increasing the number of stitches per inch makes a difference in the cost of manufacture.

I happen to like clothes. I don't give a **** about cars. If the ******* thing gets me from point A to point B without exploding, I'm pretty happy. My wife is out looking at Expeditions and Suburbans because I'm about to have my 4th kid, and our little Rav4 won't hold everyone. So, my criteria for a good car is:
1) Holds 6 people comfortably
2) Gets from point A to point B
But just because I don't care about cars, nor would I be able to tell the difference between a $30K car and a $100K car (well, not completely true, I would know something about the quality of the leather used in the interiors, etc...) doesn't invalidate that there might very well be significant differences between the cars.

My point is, you're an ignorant and close-minded philistine.

SmallFishWang

Reaction score
Lolz at ppl who think driving a 3 series BMW is balling. There are ppl who drives a Prius who's wrist watch cost more than your car. Think your $4000 rim is balling? Ppl spend more than that for a bag that they probably use for few times. Go spend some time with the wealthy people and you will know how silly you look.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
You guy are kidding right? The cost difference between nice jeans and Levis is ~200-300, pricey but affordable. But 25K to upgrade a car? That's a much larger amount of money, and one that can't be so easily spent (unless you're ballin'). This car analysis is pretty bull. Some people might think 300$ for jeans is crazy but at least I'm capable of actually purchasing them without taking a large financial strain, even if it's just because "I like the way they fit better." But spending 25,000 more on a car that still gets me from point A to point B but just with "better handling/speed and an amazing right" seems more crazy to me, yet is perfectly acceptable to most people.
facepalm.gif

Originally Posted by LA Guy
No, you're wrong, at least about clothes. Just because you can't tell the difference, doesn't mean that differences are not there. Something as simple as increasing the number of stitches per inch makes a difference in the cost of manufacture. I happen to like clothes. I don't give a **** about cars. If the ******* thing gets me from point A to point B without exploding, I'm pretty happy. My wife is out looking at Expeditions and Suburbans because I'm about to have my 4th kid, and our little Rav4 won't hold everyone. So, my criteria for a good car is: 1) Holds 6 people comfortably 2) Gets from point A to point B But just because I don't care about cars, nor would I be able to tell the difference between a $30K car and a $100K car (well, not completely true, I would know something about the quality of the leather used in the interiors, etc...) doesn't invalidate that there might very well be significant differences between the cars. My point is, you're an ignorant and close-minded philistine.
Although I don't agree with the clothes point, I think both of you guys are being a little narrow minded. This forum is called styleforum and the focus of this forum is clothes. This forum is probably not for Index but there are plenty of people who do not think buying expensive clothes is worth it regardless of the quality. Yes you like clothes and you don't like cars. That's also being close-minded. As for financial strain, it depends on both your finances and budgeting. The majority wouldn't spend that much on cars, but the majority of people don't spend anywhere close to $300 on jeans neither. The majority of people on this forum may think the jeans are worth it, but in the real world is still only a small percentage. Yes Index is pissing you off but both of your replies are not necessarily warranted. Someone might say a pair of jeans is a pair of jeans that I'm wearing, just like you guys are saying a car is a car to get me from point A to B. Doesn't matter how nice it is. Both items just serve a basic need (to be clothed / transportation) And plenty of people always over extend themselves. That's one of the reasons we are in the financial world we are in right now. But let's say a freshman in college gets on this forum, and immediately ditches his levis for a few pairs of APCs and a pair of AEs on new credit card and screws himself over. Then that's a lot of financial strain for this student who before was perfectly happy with his Levis. For you the upgrade is "affordable," for 40 million plus Americans, it is not. The same can be said for paying an extra 25k for a car, but it's a lot harder to get a car financed than it is to get a credit card with a $800 limit. And you aren't buying just one pair of jeans are you? Let's say you upgrade 3 pairs of jeans ($600), 2 pairs of chinos (jcrew sale to BoO $300), three pairs of shoes (macys standards to lobbs $1500), your rotation of dress shirts (blue label polo to purple label $1000). That's already more than $3k. It's affordable when you talk about one pair. When you put it in context it not as much (again depending on your budget). You are most likely buying just one car for a few years. (sure there is insurance and everything but still not picking up a collection of cars)

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnH123
Post your ride dawg.
We've been down this road before This is a fashion forum....NO CARS!!
lol8[1].gif

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stevent
Although I don't agree with the clothes point, I think both of you guys are being a little narrow minded. This forum is called styleforum and the focus of this forum is clothes. This forum is probably not for Index but there are plenty of people who do not think buying expensive clothes is worth it regardless of the quality. Yes you like clothes and you don't like cars. That's also being close-minded. As for financial strain, it depends on both your finances and budgeting. The majority wouldn't spend that much on cars, but the majority of people don't spend anywhere close to $300 on jeans neither. The majority of people on this forum may think the jeans are worth it, but in the real world is still only a small percentage. Yes Index is pissing you off but both of your replies are not necessarily warranted. Someone might say a pair of jeans is a pair of jeans that I'm wearing, just like you guys are saying a car is a car to get me from point A to B. Doesn't matter how nice it is. Both items just serve a basic need (to be clothed / transportation) And plenty of people always over extend themselves. That's one of the reasons we are in the financial world we are in right now. But let's say a freshman in college gets on this forum, and immediately ditches his levis for a few pairs of APCs and a pair of AEs on new credit card and screws himself over. Then that's a lot of financial strain for this student who before was perfectly happy with his Levis. For you the upgrade is "affordable," for 40 million plus Americans, it is not. The same can be said for paying an extra 25k for a car, but it's a lot harder to get a car financed than it is to get a credit card with a $800 limit. And you aren't buying just one pair of jeans are you? Let's say you upgrade 3 pairs of jeans ($600), 2 pairs of chinos (jcrew sale to BoO $300), three pairs of shoes (macys standards to lobbs $1500), your rotation of dress shirts (blue label polo to purple label $1000). That's already more than $3k. It's affordable when you talk about one pair. When you put it in context it not as much (again depending on your budget). You are most likely buying just one car for a few years. (sure there is insurance and everything but still not picking up a collection of cars)
So are you blaming SF for your hardships?

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by entrero
[/SPOILER]

So are you blaming SF for your hardships?

No, although I probably wouldn't have gotten my Filson duffle without SF. SF has actually saved me money a bunch of times in regards to codes and people posting sale info. I also avoided buying things that would not have been worth it. I'm not in any sort of financial hardship.

They were just saying people are narrowminded for thinking jeans are not worth $300, but yet they can't see how a car could be worth $50k.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads