• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many..

ezlau

Reaction score
Standard push-ups can you do in 1 minute? Go get a stopwatch and do it. I'm interested to see how many you guys can do. I started off with 45 pushups in a minute last week, now I'm at 57.

ezlau

Reaction score
It's pretty addictive to do, and I do it everyday as a quick warm up. It's nice to see your numbers improve as you do it though, sort of like a personal challenge thing.
laugh.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read this last night, and tried, just now (right after lunch - smart, I know). 65, with a split second rest at 40 and 55. I actually quit after 55 seconds, so I think that I could have gotten up to 70. I sort of blew my wad at the very beginning, and got significantly slower for the last 20 or so. I'll try again tomorrow. Pretty confident I can beat 70. Sundays are rest days, so my body is used to just chilling out. Tomorrow, I'll be warmed up when I'm doing them. Edit - don't even want to talk about my bf%. Definitely... too high. 5 years ago, I was literally 25 lbs lighter and was at 7%. Right now... well, I am a bit stronger and more powerful, but it's definitely not been 25 extra pounds of sheer muscle. My problem is that while I do some pretty strenuous workouts, I love foods, and carbs in particular. And I used to just burn it off. At 36, my body is just not the same as it used to be. My last physical, I was told that my cholesterol was too high, and that I needed to decrease my glycemic index. My good cholesterol is really good, and my resting heart rate was 52 secs/minute, so it's not about athletic performance, but really about... diet
frown.gif

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A real push-up, as in all the way down and locking out at the top of each rep? I've never tried. I do push-ups till failure, but I don't measure the length of each set. I believe I can do around 50 (my log is at the gym) before failing.

When I see most people doing push-ups, they're completing about 50% of what a real rep is supposed to look like. Going by what passes for a push-up, it's pretty useless to compare numbers unless you're doing it in person.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
A real push-up, as in all the way down and locking out at the top of each rep? I've never tried. I do push-ups till failure, but I don't measure the length of each set. I believe I can do around 50 (my log is at the gym) before failing.

When I see most people doing push-ups, they're completing about 50% of what a real rep is supposed to look like. Going by what passes for a push-up, it's pretty useless to compare numbers unless you're doing it in person.

Yes, all the way down, and just barely before locking at the top (otherwise, I think that I'd bust my elbows.) Back straight, neck aligned with the ground or with chin out, eyes facing forward. Like many coaches has said, nose must be touching the ground at botton - and I'm Asian, so, very low. My failure is above 100. It seems to be one of those exercises that you can do tons of reps if have a predisposition to being able to do those exercises, rather than because you are particular strong or fit.

ezlau

Reaction score
Wow. Seems like you're pretty fit LA guy. I did 60 today in a minute. I don't really go that low till my nose touch the ground though, like you said, I usually just push till barely locking at the top. Was your 65 pushups with nose touching the ground? If so that's crazy dude.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ezlau
Wow. Seems like you're pretty fit LA guy. I did 60 today in a minute. I don't really go that low till my nose touch the ground though, like you said, I usually just push till barely locking at the top. Was your 65 pushups with nose touching the ground? If so that's crazy dude.

I'm pretty out of shape, but pretty fit, if that makes any sense. I had a physical a few weeks ago, and my resting heart rate was 52 beats/minute. However, my cholesterol level was too high, as was my glycemic index. I work out a lot, but at 36, my love of cake and pasta is beating out my naturally high metabolism and hard workouts (not to mention that 90 minute workouts + a fighting workout in the evening are impossible with 3 kids and another on the way.)

So, yeah, I can do lots of pushups, dips (last week, I was doing 3x20 with 35 lbs strapped), pullups, etc... and I have a few marathons under my belt. And I can workout hard for a long time. But at the same time, I could really stand to lose about 15 lbs.

Like I said, I blew my wad for the first 40, and the remaining 25 were much slower. Next time, I'm going to try this warmed up (but not tired out) and try to pace a little better. But yes, I made sure to touch my nose (or very close to, in any case) for all of them. There'd really be no sense cheating when you are essentially testing yourself.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Yes, all the way down, and just barely before locking at the top (otherwise, I think that I'd bust my elbows.) Back straight, neck aligned with the ground or with chin out, eyes facing forward. Like many coaches has said, nose must be touching the ground at botton - and I'm Asian, so, very low. My failure is above 100. It seems to be one of those exercises that you can do tons of reps if have a predisposition to being able to do those exercises, rather than because you are particular strong or fit.

That's definitely a solid number worthy of bragging rights. BW exercises are a funny thing. I think I could do more pull-ups/chin-ups before I ever got serious about lifting.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its one of those excersizes like LAguy said that has a lot to do with body type etc and being used to that type of excersize. similiar to chin ups etc. taller heavier people with longer hands have a harder time etc.

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LA Guy--which marathons and what were your finish times, if you don't mind? You sound really fit, in a sense. I would really like to expand into some more exercise disciplines, as it sounds like you have.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads