• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

DaCoach

Reaction score
With the flood of foreign imitations of quality merchandise, is there any guidance for purchases on sites such as ebay? How does one assure himself that the Belvest or Zegna is real or fake? Obviously one checks feedback, but are there better ways to make sure the goods are authentic?

Muniesa

Reaction score
Hey everyone.
Recently bought a black linen blazer and was wondering if you have any suggestions regarding what to wear with it. I'm thinkink black mocasin + jeans and was wondering what kind of shirt would look best.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trial0r
I have 3 made-to-measure suits that I'm fairly unhappy with. Among my concerns are:

1) Low arm-openings (as opposed to high and trim arm openings)
2) Shoulder padding (when I specifically requested none)

My quick-questions are:

Are these correctable errors at a local tailor? I'm almost certain that the shoulder padding issue is correctable but not so sure about the arm openings.

LA recommendations to have this fixed? West-side preferred.

Thanks.

The armholes will be almost impossible to alter effectively (to my knowledge). If they were made to measure and not made to your specifications then send them back.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PTWilliams
I am developing a fondness for not ironing my linen shirts and their crepe appearance. [...]

FeedbacK?

I like to iron my linen shirts. I like creases, but not washing machine creases. Does that make sense?

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright. So I've got the C&J Edgware in UK 10.5. Now I want to get some shoe trees, Woodlore's ultra ones. 10.5 UK equals 45-46 which I ordered. This is X-Large. The charts on the packaging though say UK 10.5 with Last E equals L, not XL. Anyone got C&J Edgwares and Woodlore shoetrees and might help me out here? Shall I exchange them? I'm not sure whether they fit perfectly because I don't have that much experience with shoe trees.

VitaTimH

Reaction score
Light, summery, unstructured gray cotton sportscoat. Ideas for shirt / trousers? Thanks!

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Light blue shirt (or navy, if you dare), off-white trousers.

rc-grad

Reaction score
For a winter beanie hat/watch cap, which is better? Merino wool or alpaca? I live near Dallas and it can go below freezing for a few weeks every year. I'd like something to keep especially my ears warm. Thanks!

Yawshi

Reaction score
Soo I'm new here :]

I have two quick questions, I'm a kinda big man, pretty big legs and a waste size 38-40 (hoping to shave a lot off that!), and today I went and tried on a pair of chinos, dark navy, I don't like mustard/beige, overworn and bleeeeeh! but I haven't bought a pair yet, the ones I tried on were toot tight on the legs. So I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can get a nice dark pair for around £20-£30 and rather loose, a shop name'll do :] Lastly, I just bought some dark navy kswiss high tops, could I wear these with my chinos? I'm not a jesus shoes or boat shoes man :/

Thanks everyone!! :]:]

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unrefinery
What's not to like? Classic, versatile, affordable.

Check out the chukkas on sale at Brooks Brothers. Much better quality for a little more.

AlexInExile

Reaction score
How much would a leather Scabal attachÃ
00a9.png
be worth?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trial0r
I have 3 made-to-measure suits that I'm fairly unhappy with. Among my concerns are:

1) Low arm-openings (as opposed to high and trim arm openings)
2) Shoulder padding (when I specifically requested none)

My quick-questions are:

Are these correctable errors at a local tailor? I'm almost certain that the shoulder padding issue is correctable but not so sure about the arm openings.

LA recommendations to have this fixed? West-side preferred.

Thanks.

this needs a very good tailor. the sleeves and collar must be removed. the padding removed and the shoulders recut to a slope. the sleeve heads cut down. if it all goes well, the armhole will come up a little but not as much as you may wish. cost$$$$$$$$
the finished results may not be to your liking, its an iffy thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads