• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grizzly/Polar Bear vs Tiger?

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe this belongs in dumb thread, but I was reading Worlds Toughest Animals, and they ranked the Tiger over both the Grizzly and Polar Bears. Tigers are my favorite animals but bears just seem to large for a tiger to defeat.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
uhoh.gif

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The linked list seems pretty dumb. If the Inland Taipan (aka "Fierce Snake") is ranked fourth, a lot of the other hellers among venomous snakes--Black Mamba, King Cobra, Tiger Snake, etc.,--ought to be right up
there as well. A wolverine may well be pound for pound "tougher" than most other animals on that list, but it is certainly no match for a grizzly.

As to tigers killing grizzlies, in fact they do. In the Russian Far East, the Amur (aka "Siberian") tigers are known to prey on the Ussuri brown bears, sometimes called the "Black Grizzly." Males of this subspecies can reach 1,000 pounds. Whether the tigers ever seek out and kill the big males as prey or limit themselves to females and juveniles seems unclear.

I might add that that listing the polar bear as "tougher" than the grizzly is flat-out wrong. At the moment, grizzlies are encroaching more and more into polar bear habitat and sometimes hybridizing with the polar bears. Even though the polar bears are larger, they are gentler and less aggressive than the fierce grizzlies. I just read an article that says that the "mitochondrial Eve" of all polar bears was an Irish brown bear! Apparently this cycle of encroachment and hybridization have been going on for a long time. Polar bears, although very different in appearance, are descended from seagoing grizzlies and the two species are quite closely related.

We had a long thread awhile back about animals fighting, I remember. It was probably my all-time favorite thread in this forum.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
At the moment, grizzlies are encroaching more and more into polar bear habitat and sometimes hybridizing with the polar bears.

First well-documented, modern case was in 2006 (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...id-photo.html). White fur, brown patches killed and verification of hybridization came after extensive study. Was apparently unexpected that it happened in the wild even though it has been documented in captivity. I don't see any mention of the bears size, I am almost certain that Polar Bears are significantly larger than all others. We should have seen this coming as we are melting their habitat.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^What about a Liger?

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Romans tried out most possible large mammals fights in the arena with real animals, including those bought in from beyond the boundaries of their empire. One of the roman writers recorded details of some of them, I forget the guys name but it shouldn't be to hard to find out with a bit of googling.
From what I recall reading large brown bears beat pretty much every other mammal they could find to throw at them in the arena.

Last edited:

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Romans tried out most possible large mammals fights in the arena with real animals, including those bought in from beyond the boundaries of their empire. One of the roman writers recorded details of some of them, I forget the guys name but it shouldn't be to hard to find out with a bit of googling.
From what I recall reading large brown bears beat pretty much every other mammal they could find to throw at them in the arena.

In one fairly well researched secondary source about the Roman games, the author said the black rhinoceros was the most formidable combatant, which seems unsurprising. It easily disposed of such animals as the formidable aurochs and the brown bear.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
All this irrelevant. Man with M-2 win.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^A "Ma Deuce" with tripod weighs almost 128 pounds. It might be just a tad unwieldy to deploy against, say, a charging tiger unless you were already set up for this scenario. Wouldn't a good dangerous game rifle be a bit more practical?

Lighthouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grizzly or polar bear win. Just too big.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads