• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cravate Noire; Don't 2nd guess yourself. This is one of the costs of a special commission...the wait, which results in wanting to tweak the design, color, or details. I'm sure you really thought out your order and you should stick with it.

You can always order another shoe with your newer thoughts in mind. You need to have a few extra shoes for you to know what you like and don't like it. It does become costly and a shame when some of my previous commissions are no longer worn due to aesthetics or fit issues...but this is the cost of building an elegant shoe wardrobe. It takes time to know what you really like

The pictures you posted are gorgeous...and the burgundy color is elegant.
The last shape as pictured is awesome, I would not suggest changing it

Stay the course...you can never have enough shoes....but 2nd guessing yourself will drive you nuts...and may make the artisan shoe maker not want to work with you in the future

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Question for bespoke shoe owners: what happens if a new bespoke shoe is uncomfortable? Does this happen? Like, if for whatever reason your little toe rubs in a similar manner to RTW shoes?

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Question for bespoke shoe owners: what happens if a new bespoke shoe is uncomfortable? Does this happen? Like, if for whatever reason your little toe rubs in a similar manner to RTW shoes?
Clifford Roberts made me a sample shoe for 30 pounds plus shipping. I had no issues as to fit...but I preferred the shoe to encompass more of my upper foot, just below the ankle. This 30 pound investment was great as he then proceeding to make me another shoe (which was the agreed upon commission) and it fits better than anything I have ever owned. Sometimes the fit issue deals with the last...and adjustments must be made there first Hopefully your proposed shoe maker makes a trial shoe or provides a fitting before delivery

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
Cravate Noire; Don't 2nd guess yourself. This is one of the costs of a special commission...the wait, which results in wanting to tweak the design, color, or details. I'm sure you really thought out your order and you should stick with it. You can always order another shoe with your newer thoughts in mind. You need to have a few extra shoes for you to know what you like and don't like it. It does become costly and a shame when some of my previous commissions are no longer worn due to aesthetics or fit issues...but this is the cost of building an elegant shoe wardrobe. It takes time to know what you really like The pictures you posted are gorgeous...and the burgundy color is elegant. The last shape as pictured is awesome, I would not suggest changing it Stay the course...you can never have enough shoes....but 2nd guessing yourself will drive you nuts...and may make the artisan shoe maker not want to work with you in the future
Oh well, the problem is rather that I actually would like the exact same item (everything, not only shoes...) in every possible, slight variation... I do not want to change the last per se, I thought of variations in the toe box for a chiseled shape for certain models I have in mind. I think I am not hated by most artisans that make things for me, I am extremely patiend (even if my posts do not suggest different) and appreciative and always bring interested friends if I am thrilled myself. I think some have gained real good clients upon my recommendation...and of course my honmest interest in their work and craft is very obvious to most.
\tQuestion for bespoke shoe owners: what happens if a new bespoke shoe is uncomfortable? Does this happen? Like, if for whatever reason your little toe rubs in a similar manner to RTW shoes?
Well, then they would have to make a new one or if the can't, well then it's game over. A friend (who was recommended to Ugolini by me, Roberto kept the store longer open for us althgough he, really great man!) tried Lobb Paris (among many other SF-drool-inducing bespoke makers), but they failed at making him a fitting pair...orders canceled, deposit refunded. As most shoe makers make trial shoes they try to ship around these problems (for example my trial shoes were almost spot on with Ugolini but I still had a final fitting to be sure), but there is always the possibility that something goes wrong (the leather used for the actual shoe is normally of very different quality than that of the trial shoe...that is also the reason why some shoe makers do not believe in trial shoes).

Torsion

Reaction score
I'm new to posting on this forum but have been reading it for the past 1-2 years after developing more of an interest on tailored/bespoke/higher quality mens wear.
biggrin.gif

I have not looked back since and have found this forum very informative and has helped immensely with my understanding of brands/quality/product/styling, so thanks to all on here. I really love these shoe Appreciation threads and wanted to share my collection all bought within the past year or so and currently on rotation. Been meaning to post these for quite a while. The newest addition is the black Cheaney loafers bought about 3 weeks ago.
I apologise for the low quality photos as these are taken on my phone...

NiFTY

Reaction score
props on actually wearing those. i have never seen a post-wear picture of a fiddleback waist. shoes need to be worn!

Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
I never saw a Vass in real life I think, but what I asked for could be my very personal U last (pun intended), yeah
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I am thinking of a flatter toe box version of that shape as well as a version with wider and flatter toe box, but I am contemplating too much...a pair I already paid is on halt as I have changed so much that I am not sure if I should not order something completely different.

Some more pics after some wear, including 14h inauguration usage right after I collected them:
008.JPG

054.JPG

073.JPG

030.JPG

078.JPG

100.JPG

146.JPG

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WEll Luk Cha has posted many pics of his worn bespoke g&Gs, some of them clearly worn more than once
smile.gif

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NiFTY
i have never seen a post-wear picture of a fiddleback waist. shoes need to be worn!

Ecco!

sole002.jpg

(Two for the price of one!)

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never saw a Vass in real life I think, but what I asked for could be my very personal U last (pun intended), yeah
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I am thinking of a flatter toe box version of that shape as well as a version with wider and flatter toe box, but I am contemplating too much...a pair I already paid is on halt as I have changed so much that I am not sure if I should not order something completely different.

Some more pics after some wear, including 14h inauguration usage right after I collected them:
008.JPG

these rock like crazy Cravate, they look perfect. Ugolini designed the U last - you know rite?
the sole on yours is incredible.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pliny
these rock like crazy Cravate, they look perfect. Ugolini designed the U last - you know rite?

Thanks.
Yes, I know
smile.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

heaven forbid no.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That 's why you have fittings
smile.gif
But I know in the case of Bestetti he will remake the shoes.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
WEll Luk Cha has posted many pics of his worn bespoke g&Gs, some of them clearly worn more than once
smile.gif

GGBSFBB34-1.jpg

GGBSNorwegian22.jpg

gggrant3.jpg

gggrant4.jpg

ggmitchel2.jpg

GGBSDietas17.jpg

GGBSAdelaide26.jpg

just as a reminder!

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait...is that Vass with a fiddle?

lurker[1].gif

Originally Posted by Pliny

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads