• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first attempt on some kind of Ballotine. Deboning went okay, just needed a little bit longer than Pepin... Also seemed to be a bit harder with a guine fowl, which I used, than a normal hen. I filled it with mushrooms/onions/parsley. I first seared it on all sides for approx 3 minutes on med-high. Then it went into the oven at 375°F for about 30-35 minutes (until the core temperature reached 165°F). Didn't make no sauce, just gave some of the dripping on it. Neither good plating nor good pics, I know..
wink.gif
Anyway, it tasted superbly! Very tender. The filling was great, too. Will definitely do it again.
IMG_0728.jpg
IMG_0735.jpg

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
matt or some other pro here. In general, is it okay to sear a ballotine or put it in the oven? I've read many times that you can only poach it, maybe sear after - like a gallantine. I tried it that way because Pepin said it is okay, it tasted great so no reason to change it.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by b1os
matt or some other pro here. In general, is it okay to sear a ballotine or put it in the oven? I've read many times that you can only poach it, maybe sear after - like a gallantine. I tried it that way because Pepin said it is okay, it tasted great so no reason to change it. Just for the record, it looks like the slices are broken on the bottem left. This just seemed to happen in the central slices of the hen, the outer ones didn't break. Maybe too much filling? Or did I do something wrong while deboning leaving not enough meat?
You just have to be careful when you are cooking it. Like I said, I don't split the skin in the back because it helps keep it in nice shape, but if you are careful, you'll be fine. I'd probably roast it rather than brown it in a pan, though The one I posted I cooked only in a pan because I had forgotten to heat the oven and I was hungry.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For dessert some Tiramisù. This was one of the, if not the, best Tiramisùs I have eaten so far. Not sure why it seems so good as I do pretty much the same recipe every time - and I have done about a dozen -, maybe the different coffee is better or so.

IMG_0737.jpg

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_0735.jpg

that's a great first try. i might try beating an egg into the farce to bind it just a little.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my attempt. Cornish game hen stuffed with shitake mushroom and onion, pan seared, then roasted, with a round zucchini hollowed and filled with herbed (basil and thyme) zucchini puree and topped with aged cheddar.

Wing "Lollypops":
jdJ9NK.JPG

Finished birds:
jdJmwu.JPG

Composed plate, with pan sauce:
jdJo42.JPG

Plating is hard... Also, I need to practice making sauces. It's something I get at restaurants that I can't replicate and it elevates dishes to another level. Mine never do the dish justice.

Oh well, it still tasted very good. I look forward to trying this preparation on a larger bird, as I believe it will allow me more options with stuffing it. I didn't think there was enough filling.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mgm9128
Ca7FXl.jpg

Looks amazing. What is the sauce and what is behind the scallops?

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess it's (half) a king oyster mushroom or however you call it. Looks good KJT. Didn't want to deep-fry my lollipops as I only had two. I just seared them.
wink.gif
How did they taste? Bigger hens definitely are an advantage. My one wasn't that giant, "just" about 2.3lb - but enough stuffing went inside (approx 2 normal sized onions, 4.5 oz mushrooms, lots of parsley). There were some black feathered chicken or maize-fed chicken that nearly weighed 4lb - too big for me but might be better next time regarding the time exposure (as an amateur in deboning whole chicken). How did your stuffing taste? I can recommend mine, mushrooms, onions and parsley. Really good. Definitely one of my favourite dishes so far. @foodguy Thanks! Will try it out with an egg next time.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't deep fry them, just a little hot oil in a skillet. They were delicious. Next time we have people over, I will buy some wings and prepare them like that as an hors d'oeuvre.

It looked like you had a better ratio of stuffing to meat than I did. My stuffing tasted fine, it was just onions and mushrooms. The meal itself would be better suited for a fall dinner - it was a bit heavy for us.

I will try adding an egg the next time as well to help hold things together.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For dessert some Tiramisù. This was one of the, if not the, best Tiramisùs I have eaten so far. Not sure why it seems so good as I do pretty much the same recipe every time - and I have done about a dozen -, maybe the different coffee is better or so.

IMG_0737.jpg

Did you make this? Care to share the recipe?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
MM - It might not be as pretty, but if you score the skin it will keep the fish from buckling up like that.

Dude, that is about as close to flat as you can get a piece of skin-on fish like that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads