• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what makes Seven for all mankind and Hudson jeans so expensive?

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I had to close with this. I'm going to venture a guess that you joke that I'm a closet iGent because I referred to you as "sir" and perhaps because of my sentence structure. The former implies a note of shared respect while the latter implies a note of education. This thread has unfortunately exposed that while your brethren may openly participate in one, there still might be quite a few who wish to ignore the other. I think I'd prefer to decline my invitation to iGentism at this time. Good Day to you!
FTFY Well, you are still the MC Official Jeaneologist so don't think you can shirk your new duties.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
These are jeans, not welding googles or climbing ropes.
I wouldn't want to be 150 miles out in the middle of God's country and have any of those items fail on me.
Fine. My impression is wrong. That's why I asked. So please describe the aesthetic. What are you -- and I don't necessarily mean you personally, though I am curious about that, too -- going for? How do you critique a look and decide what is "good" and what is "bad?"
I think that's why some MCers have such a hard time with those punk kids in SW&D and their clothes: there's no guide book or formal education behind a look. We can't go to a tailor, drop off our clothes, and tell him to fix what's wrong. No, we deal in something far more difficult to explain: geared open-mindedness.

We use a multitude of criteria that at the core sounds a lot like MC: fit, fabric, construction, color, and typically a preference for niche over mass-market goods. The difference is that MC judges in centimeters and SW&D in four-scoop banana splits. It's not much of an exaggeration because the concept is that while one SW&D outfit may appear loose and baggy and another bespoke, they can technically both work and fit. To use one of Fok's analogies, there's a bigger sandbox in which to play and to make friends. What can make an outfit good or bad sometimes has more to do with cohesion or lack thereof with regards to the aforementioned criteria than just "fit."

Personally, I go for a conservative take of border straddling. I wear workwear brands like Lee and RRL but they share closet space with less-traditional brands like Surface 2 Air and Nice Collective.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
FTFY Well, you are still the MC Official Jeaneologist so don't think you can shirk your new duties.
I personally was going to conclude with "**** all y'all. Signed, SW&D," but decided to sign off with more tact. I'd invite you and the rest of MC to pop on over to our side of the meadow and visit our various denim threads including the stickied "I have a jean" beginner thread to answer any other questions you may have. You might also want to review the "Post pics of your denim" thread that might add insight as to why some people treat their jeans as an investment into a continuous project instead of just an ordinary pair of pants. Jeans, like good shoes, can add an interesting patina. We'll be waiting and welcoming.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Good stuff, don't go away just yet. I was becoming severely entertained as there are not many good debates around here--just a bunch of grown men sniffing each other's pocket squares.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
^ Good stuff, don't go away just yet. I was becoming severely entertained as there are not many good debates around here--just a bunch of grown men sniffing each other's pocket squares.
How about some food for thought: If I'm looking to buy a formal suit, as a SW&Der would I walk into a Levi's store? The answer is no because as an SW&Der it makes as much sense as going to Zegna, Corneliani, Brioni, etc. for my denim needs.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
7 for all mankind are low brow. I only wear 8 for all mankind.

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
If you like the quality of 7's, you just as well save a lot of money and buy some jeans from the Gap.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are the MC's so resistant to visiting SW&D?

Those that do say they are well received: PG, NOBD, Doc, Man of Kent are the ones that leap to mind
as having posted in the WAYRN thread there. And there is great stuff on jeans over there, amongst a lot of other good stuff.

One secret is Nigel Cabourn. A brand; sort of technical british heritage; a good place to start building a casual identity (if money is no object). It would never appear over here, but many people here would love it if they just were exposed to it. SW&D is worth the visit.

wannabe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
7 for all mankind are low brow. I only wear 8 for all mankind.

laugh.gif

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy
I'm just part of the peanut gallery, but I've tried to get into the SW&D subforum from time to time and I just can't get over all the mega-threads. If you get lucky enough with searching to find the right thread, you still have to wade through thousands of posts to find whatever you were looking for. I suppose there's some reason SW&D evolved into this structure, but it's just brutal for an outsider to try and process. I doubt I'd have signed up for SF at all if MC was structured that way.

laphroaig

Reaction score
Because the rise is unacceptably low, and there is too much black.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
How about some food for thought: If I'm looking to buy a formal suit, as a SW&Der would I walk into a Levi's store? The answer is no because as an SW&Der it makes as much sense as going to Zegna, Corneliani, Brioni, etc. for my denim needs.
Maybe I sounded sarcastic, but I meant that with sincerity. Many people have their particular fetishes. Mine are clothes, watches, and cars. It bugs the crap out of me that people buy a $5k suit and then throw on a damn Rolex diving watch. I know I don't have the best denim on earth, but I like learning about it.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Inherent and strong dislike of anything outside of their aesthetic? Remember when SoCal used to post in MC WAYWRN? Hordes of people hated on it constantly and while I'm not saying most of his fits worked, they did a nice job of adding diversity even to the SW&D WAYWT where every other picture is the same button down, raw denim, casual boots look. Diversity of styles is very accepted on SW&D yet seemingly shunned on MC. EDIT: To clarify the last statement, a lot of SW&D members especially appreciate when members can pull of looks they can't yet MC members blast such outfits based on MC-criteria (user Snake, for example). Also furthermore it seems like MCers love to make over generalizations about SW&D. According to douches like lutfvier we all shop at Urban Outfitters and wear keffiyehs, and even in this thread apparently we love "diaper styled denim from D&G", you know completely ignoring the fact that D&G doesn't make that aesthetic nor does SW&D even like D&G.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by plei89
This makes no damn sense. Selvedge does not necessarily equate to quality.

I have two or three pairs of 7FAM because they're the most comfortable jeans I own to this date. And I own about 50 pairs of jeans ranging from $100-$1,200. They are usually my go to jeans when I want a comfortable day out.

$1,200 for ONE pair of jeans? Are you insane?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads