• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

Duff_Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sir Humphrey Appleby
Why do you need a silencer on a gun?

Sometimes quiet pest control. Suppressors can also be useful in a car gun if you don't want to blow your ear drums out.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OldSnake308
Anyone from Calguns.net on here?

My current collection
- DDM4 w/ ACOG + Surefire + Magpul goodies
- 870 w/ Surefire foreend + Knoxx Spec Ops Stock
- Savage .223 bolt gun
- Savage .308 bolt gun w/ McMillan stock
- Ruger 10/22
- Kimber 1911
- Springfield XD45

I'm on Calguns. It's a great site.

Originally Posted by Duff_Man
Sometimes quiet pest control. Suppressors can also be useful in a car gun if you don't want to blow your ear drums out.

I've also read that silencers can increase accuracy somewhat, and reduce recoil. Interestingly, they appear to be much more popular in many European countries than in the US, with some Scandanavian countries leaving them totally unregulated.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do you need a silencer on a gun? Presumably its just for home protection?

BTW this is such an American thread
laugh.gif

I don't NEED it. But the silencer makes the gun easier and more fun to shoot, and I don't need ear protection when using the silencer.

This gun is not primarily for home protection. I have other weapons better suited for home protection than this pistol. It's really not for protection outside my home either, as it's too big for regular concealed carry in most situations (and I have other weapons much better suited for concealed carry.)

Shooting is a hobby. This weapon (and the silencer) are really just toys that are part of that hobby. It's fun to shoot, that's all.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kai
I don't NEED it. But the silencer makes the gun easier and more fun to shoot, and I don't need ear protection when using the silencer.

This gun is not primarily for home protection. I have other weapons better suited for home protection than this pistol. It's really not for protection outside my home either, as it's too big for regular concealed carry in most situations (and I have other weapons much better suited for concealed carry.)

Shooting is a hobby. This weapon (and the silencer) are really just toys that are part of that hobby. It's fun to shoot, that's all.

out of curiosity, how stable is it? I mean should it last for a certain number of rounds, or is it supposed to last indefinatly?

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't a shotgun be better for that?

Originally Posted by Kai

I get that, I was going to go down to my local club but just to try it out would cost me about £300 with membership of the club, the NRA, insurance, gun rental and tuition.

We're not allowed handguns in the UK (even the Olympic team have to train abroad and they had to change the legislation for the handgun Olympic competition to take place next year), so going with a silencer on top of that seems a bit assassin-like
laugh.gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kai
The can is an AAC Tirant. It's titanium, so it doesn't weigh much. Really reduces noise, muzzle blast, and recoil. Makes the 45 very easy to shoot. I do like the HK USP. Nicest .45 I've used (compared with HK Mark 23, Glock or 1911) Fits my hands perfectly, and seems to aim itself. I'm lucky enough to have a firing range right across the street from where I work 2 days a week, so I'm able to get out and shoot at least once a week (twice if I'm lucky.) However, lately I've been spending most of my time fine tuning ammunition for my .308 (will post pics once I get them)
That's sweet that you have such easy range access. The Mark 23 is just enormous; the Tactical is a much better size for a large frame .45. Surprised I didn't recognize it as an AAC; well, I usually don't look into cans unless a purchase is in the offing. My CCF has an aluminum outer barrel so it isn't all that heavy, either, which is a plus. The newer Ti ones are much nicer, though. Is it a wet/dry can?
Why do you need a silencer on a gun? Presumably its just for home protection? BTW this is such an American thread
laugh.gif

I have a lot of ear trouble, and while I most often shoot with both ear plugs and ear muffs to limit the pain, shooting with a suppressor is so much nicer. As Kai alluded, it cuts down on recoil (the mass of the suppressor itself takes it up), virtually eliminates felt muzzle blast (by-product of suppression), and knocks the noise down tremendously. Overall, it takes that sharpness, that violence, out of firing the pistol.
Well, pest control with a .45 pistol wouldn't be a good choice! And "car guns" don't sound like a good, or very legal sort of an idea.
Originally Posted by globetrotter
out of curiosity, how stable is it? I mean should it last for a certain number of rounds, or is it supposed to last indefinatly?
Cans used to have 'wipes' -- baffles with holes that were a very close tolerance to the bullet diameter, and though they give the greatest suppression, they wear out very, very quickly. Significant performance falloff would occur within a box of ammo. Though the wipes could be replaced, you generally have to send it back to the manufacturer (and I, for one, would not want to have spare wipes lying around that could be cited as evidence of illegally manufacturing a suppressor). These days they have more sophisticated baffles that capture and channel the combustion gasses without requiring such close tolerances. Provided you don't get them too hot and use the right can for the right application, several thousand rounds is expected for the standard steel/aluminum cans that are well-designed. Cheaper cans will be less; Kai can speak to the better Ti cans, I don't know. Of course, you just send them back to the manufacturer who can remove the endcap and replace the baffle stack to put you back in business. ~ H

Duff_Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Well, pest control with a .45 pistol wouldn't be a good choice! And "car guns" don't sound like a good, or very legal sort of an idea.
Enhhh, not that I ever get into such hijinks, but I imagine a .22 may be a bit insufficient for some pests like raccoons. Yeah, I kinda blended domestic and LEO/mil/PSD uses for cans on the car gun explanation. I'm just used to explaining to college kids why LEOs or companies like Blackwater may use suppressors for force protection and CP rather than the nefarious assassination theories they tend to gravitate to.
Originally Posted by globetrotter
Glock makes a disposable polycarb can, but it's more of a curiosity than industry standard. Good for a mag dump or two, something like 30 rounds.

ProperHill

Reaction score
Originally Posted by OldSnake308
Anyone from Calguns.net on here?

My current collection
- DDM4 w/ ACOG + Surefire + Magpul goodies
- 870 w/ Surefire foreend + Knoxx Spec Ops Stock
- Savage .223 bolt gun
- Savage .308 bolt gun w/ McMillan stock
- Ruger 10/22
- Kimber 1911
- Springfield XD45

I'm from Calguns and when I'm not hunting for jawns I buy firearms.

I have a small collection though.

BCM 16" midlength/BCM Gunfighter CH+BCG/Mega forged lower w.Doublestar LPK/DD Omega 9.0/Vortex strikefire/TROY BUIS/Magpul Moe stock and Magpul BAD lever.

DSA Nitrided 16" Carbine/Thunderbolt BCG+BCM Gunfighter CH/DSA Lower w. Doublestar LPK/Troy BattleRail/Troy VFG/Matech Buis/Magpul Moe stock.

Ruger SR9C.

Rock Island Armory Nickel plated 1911 Tac.

Cz75B.

Colt New Frontier Single Action .22lr.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Recent purchases:

- Bulgarian SLR105 folder - AKS74 clone
- S&W 6906 stainless 9mm for my new daily carry handgun (still waiting on the Cross Breed Super-Tuck holster though).

I'd post pics if Imageshack worked here!
ffffuuuu.gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Justin, j's partners in the new SF-to-be leaned on Imageshack a bit and it works again! IIRC, the filters hit the various pron threads and it messed us up. I do like several of the Smith autoloaders, but usually odd ones. Someday I'll pick up this puppy: http://www.ozarkguns.com/pistols/Smi...0274_large.jpg

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cool!

Afghan War-era AKS74 clone (using a genuine Bulgy SLR105)

imgp5518.jpg

imgp5521l.jpg

California Dept. of Corrections trade-in S&W 6906:

imgp4980.jpg

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
For you AR owners, Widener's has IMI M193 ammunition on sale. They're asking $318/1,200rds, which comes out to around $265 per thousand (prior to shipping). I haven't seen IMI M193 this low in quite a while.

Edit: I don't know why the new editor is not letting me post the URL using the link function -- what gives?

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=9017&dir=18|830|845

Just the other day I found a stash of IMI M193 that I bought in 1999 or so ... the price was $189/1,000. Those prices, like $0.70/gallon gas, are long gone. :(

Last edited:

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the Kel-Tec PMR-30? I'm finding it very appealing for my first handgun, but it's impossible to find in stock anywhere online.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads