• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Obscure High-End Japanese Trends You're Not Cool Enough For Megathread

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
While there are plenty of obscure high end Japanese trends most of us aren't cool enough for, this thread is specifically for one that is currently taking over the hearts of a subset of SW&D. I'm talking of course about all these fun crazy-pattern-based designers that would make even the most advanced MC pattern matchers cry uncle. Anything goes here - tribal, tartan, abstract - doesn't matter just post it up if you see something cool. I realize I mention specifically these "pattern-based" designers but there is room for everything here, particularly anything that involves playful or interesting twists on classic menswear/americana/heritage/tech.

Post up collections, inspirations, street style, stuff you see for sale on regular retailers or Rakuten/Y!J, news on US/CA/EU retailers carrying these collections, whatever you think is cool and relevant. I can imagine some mountaineering influenced stuff (think some Nonnative, North Face Purple Label) making it's way in here, as well as some techy stuff (Undercoverisms tech) and AmericanaRedux (think Junya or EG's more out-there offerings). No rules just fun clothes!

Very soon I'll be updating this OP with some good external resources, but right now my favorite by far is Jamesy. He posts a combination of collections and individual pieces for sale typically, but there is plenty out there he is missing and we can find it! I only include this today without having my full list ready because I feel his blog is very in-tune with what I imagine this thread will be, and to get things rolling.

Some designers to keep an eye out for, with SF darlings at the top leading into the more obscure stuff:

Junya Watanabe
White Mountaineering
SasquashFABRIX
Needles (Part of Nepenthes)
Nanamica Manastash (US based although not available domestically)
Phenomenon
Is-Ness
Wacko Maria
Rehacer
Facetasm
Fumito Ganryu (ex pattern designer for Junya)

Last edited:

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Some miscellaneous things that have inspired me lately: Drummer from Can (ca. 1974)
TwAJk.jpg

Miharayasuhiro SS '12

uxoJh.jpg
ZVYXi.jpg

Facetasm FW '11
CCy10.jpg
XRRBg.jpg
RqgRB.jpg

Unknown
SuZOm.jpg

Remi Relief (probably my favorite label that I don't wear, more along the lines of a crunchy Nonnative meets woodstock revival sort of look. Everything soft, vintage looking, etc. Not pattern crazy or technical like some of the other brands, just want to show there is room for everything here)
A1SRG.jpg
nNKjL.jpg
eiGxo.jpg
hhqPq.jpg
lNXTG.jpg
8C7bn.jpg

Last edited:

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Excellent, I hadn't heard of Facetasm before but it looks nice. I'm in the market for a new backpack (mine has developed a few holes after ~5 years of steady use), thinking about getting one of these north face purple labels:
02251807_4d677166e7f15.jpg
02251808_4d67717941ab9.jpg
I would probably remove the north face patch. And some random images that might be relevant to the thread:
2QmJF.jpg
1T0JY.jpg
JQ87u.jpg
SWIXM.jpg

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and I know it isn't as pattern crazy as the other stuff listed in the OP, but I feel like Kolor fits pretty well with this look. It's designed by Junichi Abe, who iirc worked for Junya for a while before starting it. Some f/w 11 looks:
kolor-fall-winter-2011-collection-2.jpg
kolor-fall-winter-2011-collection-3.jpg
kolor-fall-winter-2011-collection-4.jpg

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ Some really nice stuff, that guy with the glasses' undercoverism bag is insane. I had no idea they made one with that pattern. This was always my favorite NFPL backpack, and I found one on Rakuten and linked it
wink.gif
Edit: Yeah I really love Kolor as well, it's always amazing. Too expensive for me to build a wardrobe like that though. Although the other day there was a Nuur blazer in this super lightweight light brown gauzy material on super sale that made me want to go for it... Another great bohemian type label that is sort of in between Kolor and the Remi Relief stuff and even 45RPM is Kapital:
ZKS3r.jpg
SHBaN.jpg
2RdPA.jpg
wbokg.jpg

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
i love patterns but my clothes aren't "high-end"
frown.gif

Post it up anyway! I just wanted to play on the forum description for SW&D since most of what gets thrown around here are in fact, high-end Japanese trends. Just like Missoni could also fit in here even though it's not Japanese, so could some Peruvian socks you got on eBay for $0.99. Ultimately I just wanted a place to post stuff I like without clogging up RFT
laugh.gif
Originally Posted by Ivwri
Very cool idea for a thread. Will be back with some images to contribute in a few. Am I allowed to post some stuff from Nigerian/African designers?
Of course! Straight from the source man, this is what a good discussion forum is all about. edit: Seriously, check out what you can find on eBay for cheap: ALPACAS

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to love this thread. Was just about to post Kolor and Sacai.

Kolor

906940.pimg
img00275997928.jpg

Sacai

ishii.jpg
look04.jpg

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Fellow Linguist
I'm in the market for a new backpack (mine has developed a few holes after ~5 years of steady use), thinking about getting one of these north face purple labels: http://www.nanamica.com/shopping/upl...77166e7f15.jpg http://www.nanamica.com/shopping/upl...7717941ab9.jpg
I am trying and failing to imagine anyone wearing either of those granny-floral-couch-fabric backpacks -- with or without the purple label -- and not looking like some kind of pederast-******. You'd have to be >80 or <16 to walk around with one of those, and female in either case.
Originally Posted by tween_spirit
This was always my favorite NFPL backpack, and I found one on Rakuten and linked it
wink.gif
http://i.imgur.com/92wSN.jpg

Still not my style, but at least this one looks like someone (maybe even someone with a Y chromosome) could use it and not look like a complete joke.
Originally Posted by tween_spirit
Another great bohemian type label that is sort of in between Kolor and the Remi Relief stuff and even 45RPM is Kapital: http://i.imgur.com/2RdPA.jpg
Really neat use of colour.
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
http://i.imgur.com/uxoJh.jpg THIS IS SO GOOD WOW
+1

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe
I am trying and failing to imagine anyone wearing either of those granny-floral-couch-fabric backpacks -- with or without the purple label -- and not looking like some kind of pederast-******. You'd have to be >80 or <16 to walk around with one of those, and female in either case.

Still not my style, but at least this one looks like someone (maybe even someone with a Y chromosome) could use it and not look like a complete joke.

Pedarast-******/complete joke is not a valid aesthetic direction?
frown.gif

Hey Sipang, do you know the season of that fair isle Kolor jacket? My sweater has the same pattern, but I don't know when it's from.

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nigerian (Urhobo tribe) traditional wear -

Oc20i.gif

b6NYL.jpg

Sorry for crappy photos. Very difficult getting anything online of this :/.

Miharayasuhiro -

i4Fgl.jpg

VKwww.jpg

Burberry Prorsum -

UR2cN.jpg

GhAWq.jpg

U.MI-1 (Nigerian designer based in Tokyo)

UGBZ4.png

WdsKA.png

MrC35.png

T11AH.png
[/SPOILER]

And finally, just because - Shine Shine
smile.gif

ud9Ju.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads