• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Food Questions Thread

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, I am cooking tripe tonight for the first time for some of my more adventurous friends. Is there anything I should know about cooking it? I was going to boil it until tender, slice it, sautÃ
00a9.png
with onions and garlic, then simmer in tomato sauce.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mgm9128
I wish to procure a pigs' bladder and roast a chicken inside; those are harder to find. I will try out the kidney and report back.
First of all, you don't roast on in a bladder, you poach it in there. Second, I believe the process is verboten in the US, and you don't just need a bladder, but a specially prepared one, so you are SOL. You can use a boiling bag or a vacuum sealed bag if you like. That is what restaurants use now in France, then they transfer it to a bladder and simmer a minute in there just to puff it. It's generally OK, but not my favorite preparation.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
First of all, you don't roast on in a bladder, you poach it in there. Second, I believe the process is verboten in the US, and you don't just need a bladder, but a specially prepared one, so you are SOL. You can use a boiling bag or a vacuum sealed bag if you like. That is what restaurants use now in France, then they transfer it to a bladder and simmer a minute in there just to puff it. It's generally OK, but not my favorite preparation.

Ah, that's right.

What do you mean by specially prepared? My butcher is going to try to get me one.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ah, that's right.

What do you mean by specially prepared? My butcher is going to try to get me one.

I mean that a vessie, a bigs bladder for cooking, is a specialized item. It needs to be treated so as to remove all of the flavor from the bladder, and also need to have no holes in it. I wouldn't even begin to try to use one in the US.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Also, I am cooking tripe tonight for the first time for some of my more adventurous friends. Is there anything I should know about cooking it? I was going to boil it until tender, slice it, sautÃ
00a9.png
with onions and garlic, then simmer in tomato sauce.

Are you getting it pre-cleaned?
Cleaning it, then trimming it, then cooking it is a days-long process.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean that a vessie, a bigs bladder for cooking, is a specialized item. It needs to be treated so as to remove all of the flavor from the bladder, and also need to have no holes in it. I wouldn't even begin to try to use one in the US.
Yeah. He get's whole pigs, but they never come with the bladder, for whatever reason. Why wouldn't you dare use an American vessie? What makes French ones superior? These are Berkshire hogs he uses.
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Are you getting it pre-cleaned? Cleaning it, then trimming it, then cooking it is a days-long process.
It's been cleaned. I am going to boil it for a few hours, until tender. How long would that generally take for two pounds worth?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah. He get's whole pigs, but they never come with the bladder, for whatever reason. Why wouldn't you dare use an American vessie? What makes French ones superior? These are Berkshire hogs he uses. It's been cleaned. I am going to boil it for a few hours, until tender. How long would that generally take for two pounds worth?
JFC, dude. I just told you. I would want one prepared for cooking by somebody who knows what he is doing. I don't care if it was Oliver Cromwell's personal ******* pig.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4Z9MSl.jpg
It has a very distinct odor. Almost like vinegar. Is that what they use to clean it?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
4Z9MSl.jpg
It has a very distinct odor. Almost like vinegar. Is that what they use to clean it?

No, that is the smell of piss, probably.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JFC, dude. I just told you. I would want one prepared for cooking by somebody who knows what he is doing. I don't care if it was Oliver Cromwell's personal ******* pig.
Sheez...okay. Who pissed on your poussin?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

Well, we'd have to be talkin' about one one charming muthafuckin pig, I mean he'd have to be ten times more charming than that Arnold on Green Acres.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
and hopfully not fed a diet that included asparagus. Or coffee.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
and hopfully not fed a diet that included asparagus. Or coffee.

what do they feed bellota ham, nothing but walnuts?

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, that is the smell of piss, probably.
Well, is it not supposed to have that smell? I'm boiling it with white vinegar, 1 tsp. vanilla extract, and water.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads