• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many times do you read your email before sending?

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've recently taken a lot more responsibilities at work and one of my duties is to email people for paperwork, or documents that we need from them. I'm not very good at emailing so I tend to spend about 5 minutes brainstorming, writing, and editing before I send it off. I probably read it about six or seven times. I don't think I have OCD, it's just that I want my message to be clear and concise.

btw I do the same thing with poasting and text messaging but, because it's totally casual I tend to not be so anal about wording and grammar.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
3 or 4 times, but most of the emails I send at work end with "dictated but not read"

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well im no big shot so I have to read, and reread my work email lol.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr.orange
well im no big shot so I have to read, and reread my work email lol.
Me neither, but I send emails on behalf of big shot who drunkenly talks a bunch of **** into his dictaphone the night before.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not enough.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
A few times, and sometimes if it's a particularly prickly subject I have someone else (whom I trust) read it, too.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
...sometimes if it's a particularly prickly subject I have someone else (whom I trust) read it, too.
+1

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the Google Labs "Undo" option in GMail, it saves me many times. I usually re-read, sometimes forget to, hit undo and re-read and then send.

For the most part its a good thing to re-read 3-4 times. You can never be too careful.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few times, and sometimes if it's a particularly prickly subject I have someone else (whom I trust) read it, too.

If you have to reread it so often you're better off scheduling a meeting.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
0-1

I'm not big on making mistakes. I also follow the rule of "never email while angry."

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Compose in a word proccessing app, it's easier to read and edit, then copy and paste to the email app.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
not to be all big dick - but at this point in my life I re-read my emails about 1/5 as many times as I used to. when I was younger (including the pre-email days) writing a letter for fax could be an affiar of a few hours, and I always re-read everything 3-5 times. now, I pretty much look over it, unless it is a very important email, and then I will spell check it and send it to my assistant to proof just in case for grammer and spelling I might miss. but I can afford to make the occasional mistakes now, I couldn't then. I strongly suggest continuing to re-read until you are very comfortable with your ability to write business material.

if I am sending something to be printed - I'll have two people proof it, though.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
If you have to reread it so often you're better off scheduling a meeting.

Oh, I hate meetings, because we have a habit of distorting everything that's said but not committed to paper. Written word is less subject to interpretation/distortion/mis-remembering. Also, my emails tend to be short and to-the-point, so re-reading it is hardly a chore. Two paragraphs is more or less my upper limit, and if I can make it shorter, I do.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, I hate meetings, because we have a habit of distorting everything that's said but not committed to paper. Written word is less subject to interpretation/distortion/mis-remembering. Also, my emails tend to be short and to-the-point, so re-reading it is hardly a chore. Two paragraphs is more or less my upper limit, and if I can make it shorter, I do.

Secretly record meetings, a-la Nixon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads