• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do I wear tassel loafers?

grnfy

Reaction score
This is my first post on these forums, and is one driven by buyer's regret more than anything, so pardon my silliness!

I recently bought these pair of tassel loafers in dark brown calfskin from yoox.com, and spent more than I would be comfortable with on a pair of shoes that I knew was going to get less wear than any of my other shoes:

44297979gp_12_f.jpg

Here's the problem:

I'm only 16, and almost all of my occasions call for casual summer dress (life in a tropical country is not as exotic as it is made out to be), so I have essentially burnt a huge chunk of my money on "old people shoes" that I won't wear..

Are there ways of dressing these down so I don't look pretentious? If not, I will have to sell them for a fraction of what they cost me, as the shipping on returns is even more expensive than the shoe itself
frown.gif

grnfy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
wtf?

I was exaggerating, but the taxes and duties which are not refunded + the cost of shipping comes up to nearly half the price of the shoe.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just wear them as you would boat shoes. Don't dress up or down too hard (slim chino shorts, well-fitting lightweight linen shirt) and they won't look awkward. Tassel loafers are actually pretty casual shoes. Don't worry about looking pretentious-

grnfy

Reaction score
The same pair in suede would be significantly less nerve-wrecking.. The main issue is the fact that I'm still 16 and my friends are all flopping about in havaianas all day everyday (come down to Singapore and you'll understand). Perhaps these would be more appropriate for college functions like concerts and the like, but how do I inject more youth into this?

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
i wear mine with dark denim, chinos, etc....they work with almost anything.

velobran

Reaction score
The loafers go on your feet. The tassels on your nipples. Problem solved.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your friends think its anywhere near appropriate to be wearing flip flops outside of the house and the beach then its time for a little chat. Isn't it a little hard to get service in a restaurant wearing those? Maybe a little, "hey guys I don't think the girls are digging our hairy, disgusting man feet" would make them wear shoes (so you don't stand out in a bad way when you put on those loafers).
teacha.gif

vaalbara

Reaction score
i'm not sure if there's any way that a 16 yo can pull off tassel loafers without looking pretentious

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grnfy
The same pair in suede would be significantly less nerve-wrecking.. The main issue is the fact that I'm still 16 and my friends are all flopping about in havaianas all day everyday (come down to Singapore and you'll understand). Perhaps these would be more appropriate for college functions like concerts and the like, but how do I inject more youth into this?

Fellow singaporean here. I own a lot of "old man shoes" like wingtips, longwings, penny loafers etc. And I'm 23 and still in uni.

Anw those shoes are teh sex. Wear with rolled up until ankle slim or skinny black jeans, a slouchy weather friendly tshirt and have a nice haircut and I guarantee women will eyefuck u b/c u look better than 90% of the guys on orchard road in flip-flops and topman clothes.

I do that often with my penny loafers. For variations of the look, I throw on an Oxford shirt with just the right hint of bagginess for the take ivy look, or change slim jeans to our legacy or engineered garments chinos. The pants fit more loosely tho so I like to wear them with a heavier shoe like Alden.

In fact that how I roll to school everyday. Classic style that looks modern, different from the rest of the local guys and most definitely workable with tassel shoooos.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Word of caution tho. These loafers look better with slim pants that show just a hint of ankle skin. Please don't be one of those lames I see in singapore everyday that wear cuffed skin tight pants with the cuff so high up they look ridiculous.

Cuffed pants look better when the cuffs just end slighty above the ankle and be loose enough that there is some slouch going on. At least that's what I go by and also I see this form of swag on most steezy americana / *** dudes.

lamergod

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grnfy

Hell yeah. Another 16 year old from Singapore. Everytime I head out with my friends, "Why do you keep wearing shoes?" And I'm only wearing my vans suede boat shoes. Gotta say, the shoes look super dope.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Singaporeans have whack sheep mentality in general when it comes to clothes, style etc. Otherwise why do you see a huge bunch of skinny jean, boat shoe wearing, k-pop hair styled clones @ zouk or stripey shirts with spiked hairdos and huge ass panerais and iwcs @ filter??? See below for perfect example of what I was refering to in my earlier posts. You can even wear them with shorts, for that new england waspy summer look. Slim pants (note how it hits right above ankle):
jkissi2.jpg
straight leg pants (looks better with heavier shoes, also they work better than skinny pants for a high cuff, just my 2 cents):
025.jpg
Shorts ( see guy on the right, the 2 others are another good references for straight fit pants):
band-of-outsiders-ss2010-front.jpg
Since tassel loafers are more dressy than havaianas or vans or w/e, and our weather is so got damn humid, wear a simple top like a crisp cotton button shirt or just a tshirt is the way to go.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads