• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
^^

no, in fact I'd recon this is a great way to buy. I used to seek out stuff from Skurkin and a number of others, and after Matt's praise I sought out a bunch of stuff from K-L. I enjoyed it enough, but more importantly I've found the stuff he imports really matches with what I look for in great wine (balance, poise, integration, structure as opposed to sheer strengh, fruit, ratings, etc.) and so naturally I seek more of it out.

That Tavel is lovely, btw.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Wow. Want!

me too. I have to return to Philly next Saturday so I'm going to try to pick some more up.

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
^^ no, in fact I'd recon this is a great way to buy. I used to seek out stuff from Skurkin and a number of others, and after Matt's praise I sought out a bunch of stuff from K-L. I enjoyed it enough, but more importantly I've found the stuff he imports really matches with what I look for in great wine (balance, poise, integration, structure as opposed to sheer strengh, fruit, ratings, etc.) and so naturally I seek more of it out. That Tavel is lovely, btw.
skurkin imports some great wine but I've always found it hard to discern a house style in his portfolio. I like Dressner because although I don't love all the wine, I do understand what he's about.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^

no, in fact I'd recon this is a great way to buy. I used to seek out stuff from Skurkin and a number of others, and after Matt's praise I sought out a bunch of stuff from K-L. I enjoyed it enough, but more importantly I've found the stuff he imports really matches with what I look for in great wine (balance, poise, integration, structure as opposed to sheer strengh, fruit, ratings, etc.) and so naturally I seek more of it out.

That Tavel is lovely, btw.

I'm an enthusiastic +1 on this. I'd add that I've seldom gone wrong with the wines K-L imports and that they pair very well with the sort of food we eat.

Just received a case of 2008 Les Pallieres Racines.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a bottle of the 2008 Les Pallieres Terrasse du Diable, but I haven't tried it yet; I thought it'd be best to let it sit a couple of months. Whereas the rose Tavel I was going to have this weekend (90+ degrees!).
Kermit Lynch imports really matches with what I look for in great wine (balance, poise, integration, structure as opposed to sheer strengh, fruit, ratings, etc.) and so naturally I seek more of it out.
That was nicely said.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great time. Lovely area. Much better reds than I thought. The Ravines were superb. Great care went into the making all the varietals. Thanks guys, for the recs. Jean Georges was quite something. Food was excellent, ambiance lovely, and the service the best I've experienced. Two days in Saugerties on the Hudson with the writers was amazing. We drank almost all the Ravines plus Greek wines. My aching liver. Best wine? Phelps Insignia by the glass at The Plaza.
fitch1.jpg
fitch2.jpg
fitch3.jpg
fitch5.jpg
fitch6.jpg
fitch7.jpg
fitch8.jpg
fitch9.jpg
fitch10.jpg
fitch11.jpg
fitch13.jpg
fitch14.jpg
fitch15.jpg
fitch16.jpg
fitch17.jpg
fitch18.jpg
fitch19.jpg
fitch20.jpg
fitch21.jpg
fitch22.jpg
fitch23.jpg
fitch24.jpg
fitch26.jpg
fitch27.jpg
fitch28.jpg
fitch29.jpg
fitchlast.jpg

Last edited:

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was a post worthy of number 3000: looks like a lot of fun, audiophilia.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thx. It certainly was. Have four more bottles of Ravine's to get through.

The wine was so inexpensive. Nothing over $28. Tastings were $3

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
They charge for tastings in Finger Lake? For shame.

Dude, you spent how long on the North Coast? How many places left are there that don't charge for tastings?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Dude, you spent how long on the North Coast? How many places left are there that don't charge for tastings?

Most places in Sonoma offer free tastings. I remember paying for tastings very rarely.
And despite California, the NY wine industry is in a very strange place. They make good wines, they think that they make great wines, and they feel they don't get as much press or exposure as they deserve. To me, it would make sense to give people some incentive to make the trip by offering tastings free of charge.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I think they have a bunch of great wines, though the best can be hard to find even in NYC. Wiemer dry and semi-dry riesling for $17 are delicious (and available by the glass at Ducasse) - their single vineyard rieslings are great. And the important ones, IMO, have been getting plenty of press. The biggest detriment to their growth and national exposure is the fact that the production isn't high enough.

In NY the charge at most places is like $3 or $4, and this is usually refunded should one buy a bottle. Perhaps I'm looking at it wrong, but I doubt this really detracting visitors much.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I don't go to Sonoma as much but every place in Napa charges for tastings and has for at least ten years.

Wiemer is a great wine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads