• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Riccardo Bestetti Bespoke projects.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roy
I'll ask Riccardo to make them. The shoes are still in Italy and I live in Amsterdam
smile.gif
The pictures in this topic are pretty much realtime. As soon as he works on the shoes he mails the pictures, then I post them .

What a relationship you have built up with Bestetti Roy. An SF savvy cordwainer.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
thanks.
The pictures will be there tomorrow. But Riccardo asked if you thought he glued the seam? Because that apparantly happens sometimes with stingray. This seam is stitched exactly like in the photo I posted before. Tomorrow he will make the photos.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by meister
What a relationship you have built up with Bestetti Roy. An SF savvy cordwainer.
I am just building on the relation T4Phage has with him.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He was faster than I thought:
3e8c8965-e9dc-de80.jpg
3e8c8965-e9f7-d7b3.jpg

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roy
He was faster than I thought:
3e8c8965-e9dc-de80.jpg
3e8c8965-e9f7-d7b3.jpg

No, I never thought he might be gluing it. I just wanted to see how he handled the stitching and the edge. I have worked with stingray on several occasions and hated the way the stitching looked when I was done. Those beads are like hard ivory and they are random sizes. A needle will not peirce them and more often skitters away so badly that the line of stitching becomes increasingly erratic and uneven. He did a good job there. I can't see much of anything about how the stitching finished. But if that is only a function of the choice of colour for the thread, it is still worthy of praise. And thank you BTW...and please pass my compliments and appreciation to him.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I never thought he might be gluing it. I just wanted to see how he handled the stitching and the edge. I have worked with stingray on several occasions and hated the way the stitching looked when I was done. Those beads are like hard ivory and they are random sizes. A needle will not peirce them and more often skitters away so badly that the line of stitching becomes increasingly erratic and uneven.

He did a good job there. I can't see much of anything about how the stitching finished. But if that is only a function of the choice of colour for the thread, it is still worthy of praise.

And thank you BTW...and please pass my compliments and appreciation to him.

That is wat Riccardo said about stingray as well. He does not like to work with it. He hates the beads. He encountered the same problems like you. I will pass on your compliments, like most artisans he is very proud of his work.

Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
i dont see the stitching on the edges... looks glued to me?
It is very hard to see. But when it comes of the last, he will take photos of the inside. It also reveals some stitching. However, it needs to rest on the last for another 2 weeks or so.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
i dont see the stitching on the edges... looks glued to me?
if you look closely you can see some of the stitches

No, I never thought he might be gluing it. I just wanted to see how he handled the stitching and the edge. I have worked with stingray on several occasions and hated the way the stitching looked when I was done. Those beads are like hard ivory and they are random sizes. A needle will not peirce them and more often skitters away so badly that the line of stitching becomes increasingly erratic and uneven.

He did a good job there. I can't see much of anything about how the stitching finished. But if that is only a function of the choice of colour for the thread, it is still worthy of praise.

And thank you BTW...and please pass my compliments and appreciation to him.

i spoke to riccardo and he appreciates that you like his work.
he also said to tell you that he learned half his craft learning to make boots in the u.s.

as for the stingray, he had the problems you mentioned with the rounded beads
but with the sanded stingray like roy's
his problem was the needle breaking when it hit the flat surface

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T4phage
if you look closely you can see some of the stitches

i spoke to riccardo and he appreciates that you like his work.
he also said to tell you that he learned half his craft learning to make boots in the u.s.

as for the stingray, he had the problems you mentioned with the rounded beads
but with the sanded stingray like roy's
his problem was the needle breaking when it hit the flat surface

figured it'd be easier to use a fine drill to drill the holes rather than use a needle

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shoes need to rest on the last a bit before the final finishing is done and Riccardo makes the final photo's, so here's a little slideshow on a shoe he has made for me before to kill the time:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So... Here are the pieces for the shoe I gave my brother for his birthday:

These are sharkskin and they're going to be a three eyelet derby.

dontaglio.gif

dontaglio1.gif

dontaglio2.gif

dontaglio3.gif

C&A

Reaction score
Since Roy already posted his brother's non-stingrays, I thought he would not mind me hijacking this thread a little to show some pictures of my current commission with Riccardo. A boring brown calf skin u-cap on an almond toe last. I especially enjoyed the pictures of the last making:

fresw035.jpg

fresw036.jpg

fresw037.jpg

fresw038.jpg

fresw042.jpg

lu1s.jpg

lu2u.jpg

lu3w.jpg

lu4s.jpg

luctaglio.gif

luctaglio1.gif

luctaglio2.gif

l001ac.jpg

l002e.jpg

l006w.jpg

sh005.jpg

sh006.jpg

Last edited:

rjsphd

Reaction score
This is a great thread. Please continue to post photos as the shoes progress.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads