• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smudge
I've got a pair of Loake suede chukkas, I was tossing up between the Kempton (26 Last) and Pimlico (Capital Last) which, lasts aside, seem to be very similar: both are from 1880 range and have dainite soles. The Kemptons are GBP20 cheaper. I love mine and would say, go for it!
I have both, the kempton in suede and the pimlico in calf. The pimlico last is a bit sleeker in the toe box. I'll put some compare pics up tonight if you like.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smudge
I've got a pair of Loake suede chukkas, I was tossing up between the Kempton (26 Last) and Pimlico (Capital Last) which, lasts aside, seem to be very similar: both are from 1880 range and have dainite soles. The Kemptons are GBP20 cheaper. I love mine and would say, go for it!

Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
I have both, the kempton in suede and the pimlico in calf. The pimlico last is a bit sleeker in the toe box. I'll put some compare pics up tonight if you like.

I've got Loake Pimlico in burgundy calf on capital last. Had them about 2 years - no complaints except I reckon its a bit slim and long for my liking. Only in looks - it fits well. Still others might like that sleeker* look.

Mine are in 9 F and I suspect I would feel better in a 8.5G with that shape.

I'm looking at the suede Kemptons instead of desert boots right now.

* I just had a quick squiz online - I must say the suede looks a lot less long and pointy than mine in the pics. I suspect the suede actually looks a bit less sleek because of texture as opposed to shiny calf.

edit: If you are in Melbourne that Beggar Man shop in Clarendon - Sth Melb has half a shop full of suede DBs, chukkas, Loakes etc.

edit2: I've got two pair of Herring Stratford boots and I'm pretty sure they are made by Loake on the 026 last. They are my favourites for looks and to wear for fit and comfort.

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/_shop/...867-1522-3.jpg

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nathan Clark, great-grandson of the founder of Clarks, who created the bestselling desert boot in 1947, has died at age 95.

A low boot laced at the ankle has been rustic wear for many centuries in Europe. Under the name "startup" it was such standard commoners' gear that it served as a model for the earliest industrially produced work boots. But the truest descendants of the startup, in shape and use, and the most familiar, are desert boots, which first bestrode the world in 1947, and were the work of Nathan Clark, who has died aged 94.

He was the great-grandson of James Clark, who with his brother Cyrus founded the Clarks family firm in Street, Somerset, in the 1820s, manufacturing slippers from the skins of local sheep. Nathan was a lifelong enthusiast for shoemaking, technically curious and inventive, with an eye for simplicity, so hard to achieve around the aesthetic-practical compromise that is the human foot.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardia...ry?INTCMP=SRCH

jhof5421

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere

Cheers, a couple of comparison photos would be great.

I wear a UK11 so trying to aim for a bit of a sleeker look so they don't end up looking like a pair of Blundstone's.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else doing Dry July? Why did I agree to this?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dry? In July? No way. September maybe.

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaypee
Anyone else doing Dry July? Why did I agree to this?

I did a month of no alcohol in May. The lack of a sore head and regaining weekend mornings was actually pretty fun.

Friday afternoon, right about now actually, was easily the worst time. What is there to keep you motivated for the last hour or 2 of the day if you don't get to have a beer when you finish!?

jessis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jimbosaurus
I did a month of no alcohol in May. The lack of a sore head and regaining weekend mornings was actually pretty fun.

Friday afternoon, right about now actually, was easily the worst time. What is there to keep you motivated for the last hour or 2 of the day if you don't get to have a beer when you finish!?

Not being able to have a couple of beers on Friday after work would be the biggest challenge by far. Waking up full of beans of Sunday would be a nice bonus though!

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know why i agreed to this.
Plus no fast food for a year (6 months in)
Its even harder than the 1 month coffee free I did last year

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What constitutes fast food? There are healthier burger options and there are greasy sit down meals.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The deal was - Maccas, KFC, Red Rooster, Hungry jacks, Pizza Hut, Dominos, Ogalos, Oportos

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaypee
The deal was - Maccas, KFC, Red Rooster, Hungry jacks, Pizza Hut, Dominos, Ogalos, Oportos

Does it count if you get so drunk that you can't remember ordering the food and just wake up to empty wrappers in your lounge room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads