• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watches are back, baby!

chomeo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spencer
photo.jpg

worship.gif
now that's a watch!

Achillus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watches where never gone, atleast not for me. This is mine Rolex Submariner
smile.gif
WD4af.png

Shalebot

Reaction score
I think the article is perhaps narrow, but not inaccurate. Watches are definitely making a comeback with some in the younger crowd (though I'll never be troubled to put one on).

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I consider myself one of the first of this so called 'internet' era. No recollection of any DOS crap but I remember a lot of long days trying to connect to the internet and the whole 56k internet.

I always wore watches growing up (mainly G Shocks and some sporty adidas watches), and a lot of my friends... girls and guys also wore them. Watches started disappearing as soon as cell phones became mainstream. I stopped wearing watches for about two years until I got a Seiko SKX007. I still use my phone to check the time... I know a few friends whose car clocks are as much as 20 minutes late/early. I know mine is 10 minutes off. I remember the days when people would ask what time it was and 5 people would come up with 5 different times all about a minute or two off. Now everyone has the same time on their phones.

I see a lot of men in their mid to late 20s and 30s wearing watches though. Nothing spectacular. See a lot of Nixons and other mall-brand type watches on steel bracelets.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Spence thought you had a roo? I like ap but would never buy one due to their panerai like popularity these days.

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never got the whole "my cellphone has the time on it, so I don't need a watch" dudes.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
I consider myself one of the first of this so called 'internet' era. No recollection of any DOS crap but I remember a lot of long days trying to connect to the internet and the whole 56k internet.
You just outed yourself. 2400 kbps to start just to "read" a news article on AOL in full 16-bit color. (waits for fist bump with jet) Not to dogpile on my generation but ffs. They need to stop pretending like they give a **** about anything "old." Go back to wearing ironic t-shirts and "funky" vintage clothes while being ignorant. You all did this, etc. Hey Uncontrol, I started wearing rings. How long till I start watching "Glee?"

Earnest Hemingway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Hey Uncontrol, I started wearing rings. How long till I start watching "Glee?"

This perfectly encapsulates my response to the referenced post.

Master Milano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've tried using one, but i only like leather straps and i hate taking it on and off...

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
You just outed yourself. 2400 kbps to start just to "read" a news article on AOL in full 16-bit color. (waits for fist bump with jet)

Not to dogpile on my generation but ffs. They need to stop pretending like they give a **** about anything "old." Go back to wearing ironic t-shirts and "funky" vintage clothes while being ignorant.

You all did this, etc.

Hey Uncontrol, I started wearing rings. How long till I start watching "Glee?"

I put internet in apostrophes because I know the internet was there before but I was referring more to the era of mainstream internet.

asr10 user

Reaction score
I am 27 soon to be 28 and this article pretty much describes me. I grew up with electronics and love gadgets and the way things work. I clearly remember DOS, Apple IIc's, and 14.4k modems. About two years ago I looked into getting a watch for school and the gym for a stop watch, and have been hooked on watches ever since.

I love looking at my different automatic movements and wondering how they were made. I also get many compliments for having a watch that matches my clothes. And after such a short time, I really feel naked without a watch now.

shady_2001

Reaction score
Originally Posted by willy cheesesteak
Never got the whole "my cellphone has the time on it, so I don't need a watch" dudes.

well it's part of being a little minimalistic

i was crazy about g-shocks when i was 10 to 15, because they really did everything and didn't cost an arm and a leg. to this day i like g shocks but it doesn't really fit my gothninja or minimalist style (generally i switch between the two depending on the season)

today i check my iphone for the time. it's like second nature. i would also rather not be part of the herd now getting into red wings and the lot. it's just strange.

Regal

Reaction score
A lot of people seem to overreact when things like this get printed. The article is pretty much spot-on; it just happens to be written in a way that sounds silly.

It is common for people to rely on their phone for the time. The majority of younger people who wear watches do so because they like the look. The ones who wear mechanical ones do so because they've gone beyond the look and convenience incentives of watch wearing.

As someone posted earlier in this thread, it's not surprising: the re-appropriation of all things classic is obviously important to the style-conscious among the younger crowd. And it makes sense.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads