• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If I'm buying one pair of swim shorts, which color should I get?

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Merlino
I've never heard of this brand but they look nice. The sidetabs are a very nice touch. Why do they cost so much though, is the brand so famous they can charge that much? They cost even more than Villebrequin.

The nylon used by Vilebrequin feels a little softer but the fit of OB is much better, IMHO.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Merlino
I've never heard of this brand but they look nice. The sidetabs are a very nice touch. Why do they cost so much though, is the brand so famous they can charge that much? They cost even more than Villebrequin.
They're a new brand, relatively speaking, but the products are absolutely incredible. The fit is fantastic, and the side tabs allow you to cinch the waist without the use of elasticized waistbands, which I find to be ugly (they make swim shorts look like boxers, IMO). The Bulldog model comes just to the right length, just a few inches above your knee, and there are darts in the back. In a way, they fit very much like a good pair of custom trousers (in the sense of the side tabs, darts, etc) There are also nice design details like a zippered back pocket and outside locker loop. Fabrics are from France, zips from Italy, everything constructed in the UK and Portugal. I also find them tastefully designed. Most come in nice solid colors, but they also have a nice geometric designs that are much better than the floral designs Villebrequin comes out with. A lot of people balk at the idea of $250 for swimming trunks - and that's a lot to be sure - but many of us are spending $150-200 for ties and $200 - $250 for trousers. Even those who can't afford Drakes and Marinellas at retail are finding ways to get them on eBay or through discount sites. I think Orlebar Browns are worth the $250, personally, but I don't see why people just don't utilize all of their regular bargain hunting tactics to get these for a cheaper price. You can find them occasionally on eBay for $80-$125, and at that price, I think they're leagues better than any other swimming shorts on the market.

Dressed2the9s

Reaction score
I agree! Because I signed up for the Orlebar Brown club, for a 1st time purchase, I got it for a total of $222 (which includes standard shipping).

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i like the greys that nobd showed, great for wearing with a white t in a beach bar as well.
do these fit TTS, anyone know? my waist is 32", i should be good with that right?

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Check the size chart here, it's pretty accurate. If your waist is 32" (at the point where you expect to wear these) I would go with a size 30" (I did).

SnarlPatrick

Reaction score
I really like the color and texture on the Apolis trunks. If it wasn't for the visible branding I'd be all over these in blue. http://store.apolisglobal.com/event/...9-adf365817b3d
chambray-swim-trunk-flat-front2.jpg

bmf895

Reaction score
What color would you guys recommend for pasty white folks?

Dressed2the9s

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SnarlPatrick
I really like the color and texture on the Apolis trunks. If it wasn't for the visible branding I'd be all over these in blue.
http://store.apolisglobal.com/event/...9-adf365817b3d

chambray-swim-trunk-flat-front2.jpg

Those are cool. I'm trying to get away from the string tie ups in the front. Its takes away the clean seamless look to me and is kinda distracting. Granted, I do own American Apperal swim trunks with the strings.

My shorts came in and the box was really nice. The material is very soft and it has all the details it mentioned on the site. They end right where they should above my knee and the fit was perfect. I was afraid I would have to size down but the size was spot on. They don't even feel like swim trunks!

SnarlPatrick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dieworkwear
They're a new brand, relatively speaking, but the products are absolutely incredible. The fit is fantastic, and the side tabs allow you to cinch the waist without the use of elasticized waistbands, which I find to be ugly (they make swim shorts look like boxers, IMO). The Bulldog model comes just to the right length, just a few inches above your knee, and there are darts in the back. In a way, they fit very much like a good pair of custom trousers (in the sense of the side tabs, darts, etc)

There are also nice design details like a zippered back pocket and outside locker loop. Fabrics are from France, zips from Italy, everything constructed in the UK and Portugal. I also find them tastefully designed. Most come in nice solid colors, but they also have a nice geometric designs that are much better than the floral designs Villebrequin comes out with.

A lot of people balk at the idea of $250 for swimming trunks - and that's a lot to be sure - but many of us are spending $150-200 for ties and $200 - $250 for trousers. Even those who can't afford Drakes and Marinellas at retail are finding ways to get them on eBay or through discount sites. I think Orlebar Browns are worth the $250, personally, but I don't see why people just don't utilize all of their regular bargain hunting tactics to get these for a cheaper price. You can find them occasionally on eBay for $80-$125, and at that price, I think they're leagues better than any other swimming shorts on the market.

Darn. This thread is making me want a pair of Orlebar's. I've had the same pair of crappy swim trunks for the last 8 years. I got them for barter in exchange for an hour's graphic design work.

The orlebar's look really sharp but I'm concerned about the big metal buckles on the waist? Is it uncomfortable at all placed like that? Makes me think I might like the models with the string instead.

Also, what is the interior mesh like? Are they small, "brief" shaped that cling close to your body, or does it just line the inside of the shorts and stay loose?

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Brief" shaped. I haven't noticed the buckles when wearing, but like I said before, I've only worn them a few times.

Merlino

Reaction score
Thanks for the write-up dieworkwear!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads