• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WSJ: How Can Jeans Cost $300?

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This topic seems to pop up in the media every once in a while ("why do designer things cost so much") and it always seems to boil down to the same answer ("because there are people who will pay that much for designer items"). People act surprised when they see manufacturing costs vs what an item actually sells for, like it's something new.

I want to see a similar comparison done with some SF approved brands, I wonder what that would look like.

Originally Posted by DLester
Most of the commenters on online articles are sour, beaten losers. The Seattle Times had an article about the opening of a new city park, and all the comments were extremely negative. What kind of person hates parks?

I love trolling the hell out of those comments.

Kinda like people who populate online forums? I love tro...oops.

NowhereOutThere

Reaction score
True Religions that actually don't look disgusting? What a surprise. The J Brand jeans I have seen actually don't seem too bad for "premium" denim, but there is better stuff out there for the same price (obviously). On sale, though, their washed pairs don't seem like a bad deal.

iTylerStewart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NowhereOutThere
True Religions that actually don't look disgusting? What a surprise. The J Brand jeans I have seen actually don't seem too bad for "premium" denim, but there is better stuff out there for the same price (obviously). On sale, though, their washed pairs don't seem like a bad deal.

I have some raw J Brand Kanes and they have a nice fit and the denim is well put together.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Why do people care about a WSJ piece written by someone who probably thinks Hugo Boss is the best American designer ever

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mattt
Surely people didn't actually think that the retail price of designer clothes reflects the raw costs of production.. yet the comments seem to prove otherwise.

that's not what I meant. It's just that my perception, after the guy said he could potentially make the jean cheaper by producing in China, changed and made me think "I am paying a ridiculous amount of money for something that could be had at half the price."

Originally Posted by johnH123

I want to see a similar comparison done with some SF approved brands, I wonder what that would look like.

+1 I'd like to see this too actually

Originally Posted by iTylerStewart
I have some raw J Brand Kanes and they have a nice fit and the denim is well put together.

I don't own any Jbrand jeans but that seems to be an accurate description of them. I'm in love with the denim section @ Barneys
inlove.gif

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnH123

Sadly, it wouldn't be very different for some. For others, the margins are definitely more conservative.

Of course, it also depends if the brand is strictly wholesale or if they have their own store/e-shop in which to improve those margins.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr.orange
I'm in love with the denim section @ Barneys
inlove.gif

Is it really that good? It's much better than most retailers, granted, and hits different price ranges but I think
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
is too much emotion for me.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah barneys jean selection is def not that great, but good during sale time

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I think johnH would be in for a shock if he found out his precious jcrew shirts cost $3 to make.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Is it really that good? It's much better than most retailers, granted, and hits different price ranges but I think
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
is too much emotion for me.

It's a solid place to get some denim and even better during sale time.

Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
yeah barneys jean selection is def not that great, but good during sale time

are you kidding? it's got a great selection: APC, RRL, Levi's made & crafted, N&F, Simon Miller, Dior, and those are just a few. anything is great during sale time even banana republic.

Originally Posted by jet
I think johnH would be in for a shock if he found out his precious jcrew shirts cost $3 to make.

it costs $13 to make J.crew chinos

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sorry didnt clarify that i was referring to co-op. BUT most of those jeans i can get elsewhere fairly easily except for diors and rrls

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was just @ Barney's in SF today and wasn't terribly impressed with the sale - granted most of the stuff could have been picked clean by now. Didn't focus much on the denim section as I generally don't think of Barney's as a jeans place but they carry RRL?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads