• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hatch&Whisk
my apcs are going on a year and starting to wear at the seat.though with RRLs you dont size down to account for stretch, do you? just to beat the vanity fit

Originally Posted by kmdsimpson
I think some do size down on RRLs to account for stretch, although I think it's a matter of personal preference. Certainly not as much stretch as APCs are known for.

What you say makes sense. I just have a hard enough time getting my jeans to fade, let alone worrying about blowouts. As whodini says, maybe I need to bike and play football in them to get the real fade lines.

People size down in APC because they're both bigger than tagged and because they stretch. The MIJ RRL years ago had the same problem (see my size 28 that measured 32"), and my current pair of RRL Low Straights tagged 30 measured out to 32" when I originally got them while they're closer to 34" now.

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a dream about oxblood selvedge last night, where can I find some RRL oxbloods in real life? Also, if I wear a 30 in APC PS and am a true 32" waist, am I looking at a 28 in the slim fits?

X_X

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Day Man
You guys really find RRL stuff at the outlets? It seems that my local outlet (Jackson, NJ) has had the exact same items for years now. I don't even bother going in there much anymore because I pretty much know exactly what I will find.

The internet makes rare finds seem common. Most people probably don't find **** either.

jimmyfingers

Reaction score
You guys really find RRL stuff at the outlets? It seems that my local outlet (Jackson, NJ) has had the exact same items for years now. I don't even bother going in there much anymore because I pretty much know exactly what I will find.

Every RL outlet has the possibility of getting some RRL items simply through returns. Any item purchased at an outlet can be returned at any outlet is the US. However, the employees usually snatch these up fast.

Some outlets do not get any RRL in their shipment. My local outlet has 0 past season retail. I went to another outlet in GA last week, and they had about 100 jeans that were RRL. Too bad they were all size 28 or other smaller sizes.

On another note, I was talking with a SA from the Malibu RRL store the other day. He claimed that selvedge was much cheaper to produce. We were talking about the limited officer chinos for 220. He said he had a pair of non selvedge ones that were around the 500 mark.

I do not know enough about fabric costs and maybe their was some miscommunication of the 500 dollar chinos were severely distressed.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyfingers
Every RL outlet has the possibility of getting some RRL items simply through returns. Any item purchased at an outlet can be returned at any outlet is the US. However, the employees usually snatch these up fast.

Some outlets do not get any RRL in their shipment. My local outlet has 0 past season retail. I went to another outlet in GA last week, and they had about 100 jeans that were RRL. Too bad they were all size 28 or other smaller sizes.

On another note, I was talking with a SA from the Malibu RRL store the other day. He claimed that selvedge was much cheaper to produce. We were talking about the limited officer chinos for 220. He said he had a pair of non selvedge ones that were around the 500 mark.

I do not know enough about fabric costs and maybe their was some miscommunication of the 500 dollar chinos were severely distressed.

He must be mixing up the fabric being selvedge and the distressing. I think selvedge fabric is more expensive than non-selvedge simply because the looms produce less fabric per hour (being narrower than modern looms), and also because there is probably more waste in cutting and sewing.

The $500 officer chinos are probably that much because of the labor involved in doing the distressing. The same reason RRL's distressed denim costs more than its one rinse denim.

jimmyfingers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson
He must be mixing up the fabric being selvedge and the distressing. I think selvedge fabric is more expensive than non-selvedge simply because the looms produce less fabric per hour (being narrower than modern looms), and also because there is probably more waste in cutting and sewing.

The $500 officer chinos are probably that much because of the labor involved in doing the distressing. The same reason RRL's distressed denim costs more than its one rinse denim.

I was always under the impression that selvedge fabric cost more as well for the reasons stated above. I am not sure what 500 dollar chinos he was referring to as well

I know all the crazy distressing they do costs money since most of it is done by hand.

He was also trying to sale me the 500 dollar chinos since they were all out of selvedge ones.

The Day Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyfingers

My local outlet is pretty ****** compared to some others I have been to. I will have to remember to stop in any others that I pass by.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RRL or no RRL, I always love going to the polo outlet. I'd prefer a store, but nothing in upstate New York. I'll go to Fashion outlets of Niagara just for the Polo outlet (and usually buy nothing), but it's always happy days when I walk through the doors.

rick

Reaction score
My local outlet is pretty ****** compared to some others I have been to. I will have to remember to stop in any others that I pass by.

jackson nj outlet does not except any returns from rrl or any other polo store. only there stuff, hence you are very unlikely to find any rrl there.

jimmyfingers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rick
jackson nj outlet does not except any returns from rrl or any other polo store. only there stuff, hence you are very unlikely to find any rrl there.

They can still accept returns on RRL items that were bought at other outlets though. It is pretty rare to see people returning RRL items away from their local outlet though.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to the Gtown store today and picked up some mega discounted products. Two kon tiki shirts at ~$85 each (one madras like and another cotton/linen) and a pair of the sand jeans I've been waiting for. Will post pics once I get the delivery.

Can't wait! Oh, and fwiw, there's a real cute girl that works at that store. Persian chick. Very helpful, sweet and pretty, to boot.

engar

Reaction score
2095-1-L.jpg

Kopped at Barcelona RL Outlet, not bad (in Europe) for 100€.

deez nuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gumercindo
Went to the Gtown store today and picked up some mega discounted products. Two kon tiki shirts at ~$85 each (one madras like and another cotton/linen) and a pair of the sand jeans I've been waiting for. Will post pics once I get the delivery.

Can't wait! Oh, and fwiw, there's a real cute girl that works at that store. Persian chick. Very helpful, sweet and pretty, to boot.

please post pics of the persian girl as well.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
**** man, I have always been envious of the guys here who have a decent rrl outlet or shop near them. and now on top of that, you have hot chicks working there too?!

osadolor619

Reaction score
I think he's talking about a Ralph Lauren store. They just started an extra 25% off yesterday.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads