• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watches are back, baby!

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or so says the NYT:

Watches Are Rediscovered by the Cellphone Generation

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/07/fa...=1&ref=fashion

My favorite quote:

"The retro appeal also plays into the resurgence of heritage brands like Red Wing boots or Filson bags. Putting on a vintage Rolex “shows you’re interested in craft and well-made things,” said Matthew Hranek, a New York photographer who runs a men’s lifestyle blog, the William Brown Project, which celebrates vintage watches. “It’s the same thing if you’re wearing a pair of Alden shoes or go down to Beretta to buy a field coat and shotgun.”"

Ahahaha, a shotgun? Can't wait to see what shotty's the rest of you are kopping!

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
The “sundial” of the wrist is experiencing an uptick among members of the supposed lost generation, particularly by heritage-macho types in their 20s and 30s who are drawn to the wristwatch’s retro appeal, just as they have seized on straight razors, selvedge denim and vintage vinyl.
wow, sounds awesome

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
our generation is ******* hopeless

iTylerStewart

Reaction score
Watches were never gone? The watch community is huge.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iTylerStewart
Watches were never gone? The watch community is huge.

x2. I've worn a watch on my wrist every day for the last 25+ years.

iTylerStewart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman

Atomic frogman everyday because i can wear it in uniform =)

There are soooo many watches that i want tho. I want to get a breitling first because theyre very affordable compared to a lot of other Swiss automatics.

the_state

Reaction score
"The men's-wear set has recently rediscovered the joy of proper mechanical timepieces," Mr. Williams said. "Right now there is no clearer indication of cool than wearing a watch."

What a ******* tool.

pokpok

Reaction score
Drop a few G's on a vintage Rolex as a fashion statement... what a fuckin tool
ffffuuuu.gif

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
what is this 'watch' you speak of? Can I make calls on it?

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman

Stupid article. Aside from when I am at home, I'm always wearing a watch.

Gratuitous Audemars Iphone pic
photo.jpg

marg

Reaction score
my generation has to look to the classics because there is no incentive to make quality, long-lasting products anymore. not because it's cool, but because getting 2 seasons out of a $200+ shirt is just plain stupid.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spencer
Stupid article. Aside from when I am at home, I'm always wearing a watch.

Why not at home? I usually put my watch on in the morning and don't take it off again until bedtime.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never not had a watch on my wrist since I was a little kid. I do not use watches as fashion. I got my sub because I saw one in a store window as a child and told my Dad I wanted one and he said I would have to work hard for it and buy it myself. I hope to someday give it to one of my future grandchildren. I find that most never notice a watch. The only two times I have had any strangers ask about a watch was when I was wearing a Brietling Steelfish XL and a guy asked about it and asked if his wife could see it when I was in line at the post. The only other time was when I first got the now departed Daytona and a women asked to see it when I was in line at J.Crew.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always worn a watch. Pointless article

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads