• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rum.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I bought some Barbancourt today, it's really quite nice. I don't know if it's as good as Zacapa 23, but it's also half the price.
Which Barbancourt? There's like 500 varieties.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Which Barbancourt? There's like 500 varieties.

how do five different labels become 500?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
it's the 8 yr

cuffthis

Reaction score
Went to Ocean City, MD this weekend and picked up 3 more rums, including one from Newfoundland(sp)(?).

Will post details and tasting notes later tonight.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cuffthis
Went to Ocean City, MD this weekend and picked up 3 more rums, including one from Newfoundland(sp)(?).

Will post details and tasting notes later tonight.

Please tell me its not Screech. If it is, that is somehow both awesome and awful at the same time.

cuffthis

Reaction score
Screech it is.

New rum #1 Pirates Choice Molasses Reef Rum, Cristal Clear Spirits, Charleston, SC.
Like chewing on a vanilla bean. Interesting, but not complex or tropical rum like. A good QPR at $17US though.

cuffthis

Reaction score
Here are tasting notes on rums #88 - 90 in my collection:

#88 - Pirates Choice Molasses Reef Rum, Cristal Clear Spirits, Charleston, SC.
Like chewing on a vanilla bean. Interesting, but not complex or tropical rum like. A good QPR at $17US though.

#89 - Serralles "Don Q - Anejo" Puerto Rico rum. Pretty simple gold rum. A bit dissapointed, as I'm hearing great things about Don Q Gran Anejo. At $15US, will us for mixing.

#90 - Screech "Famous Le Celebre" Rum/Rhum, Newfoundland, Canada. WTF? No formal tasting note. FYI, do not share this with family/friends. Best used as bug spray.

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#90 - Screech "Famous Le Celebre" Rum/Rhum, Newfoundland, Canada. WTF? No formal tasting note. FYI, do not share this with family/friends. Best used as bug spray.
Lol. Yeah, screech is awful.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denning
Please tell me its not Screech. If it is, that is somehow both awesome and awful at the same time.

Here are tasting notes on rums #88 - 90 in my collection:

I am sorry for laughing Cuff, but I had a feeling you would react like that given your proclivities and tastes in higher end rums. The awful in my quote referred to the taste you would experience, the awesome was that someone with your tastes would deign to purchase something like that. I suppose I was experiencing a little bit of Schadenfreude in advance.

What are you going to do with the bottle? I don't think you can really mask the taste with coke, pina colada mix, etc... it's invincible.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't usually drink rum, but I need a decent bottle for the collection. Will probably be mixing with Mexican Cokes and the s/o might occasionally have a mojito.

Any suggestions? Looking to spend $25-35 for a 750mL.

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hartmann
Lol. Yeah, screech is awful.

But you are not a true Newfie until Screeched In, as they say. Awful rum, and the natives are more fond of Lamb's up there.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
I don't usually drink rum, but I need a decent bottle for the collection. Will probably be mixing with Mexican Cokes and the s/o might occasionally have a mojito.

Any suggestions? Looking to spend $25-35 for a 750mL.

Originally Posted by Dicko
ron zacapa 23 is hard to go past

Oh, please don't buy Zacapa as a mixing rum. I don't have any recs for a mixing rum in that price range, actually.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You do need white rum for Mojito and your Cuba Libre. Get a Z23 for pure drinking, some Havana 3 as white rum. Might take a brown rum for your rum-cola, too, maybe Havana Club 7 anos - but that's no Cuba Libre.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads