• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones NYC - Lousy Experience

bewing77

Reaction score
One wonders if sales staff realizes how much potential business they are loosing by doing this. I mean, a pair of shoes is one thing, same thing happened when I bought my last car. Went to the local BMW dealer dressed quite casually in jeans, a polo shirt and sneakers and even though there where no other customers in there no sales staff even gave me a second look and where more concerned with drinking coffee. I left after waiting for attention for 15 minutes and went to another dealer, got service, took a test drive and bought a $75,000 car on the spot. Just to make sure it was the outfit I went back to the first dealer a couple of weeks later wearing a suit and got immediate attention from a senior sales rep. Told him what happened, what car I bought the same day, and that I wouldn't ever consider dealing with them again.

NYCESQ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bewing77
One wonders if sales staff realizes how much potential business they are loosing by doing this. I mean, a pair of shoes is one thing, same thing happened when I bought my last car. Went to the local BMW dealer dressed quite casually in jeans, a polo shirt and sneakers and even though there where no other customers in there no sales staff even gave me a second look and where more concerned with drinking coffee. I left after waiting for attention for 15 minutes and went to another dealer, got service, took a test drive and bought a $75,000 car on the spot. Just to make sure it was the outfit I went back to the first dealer a couple of weeks later wearing a suit and got immediate attention from a senior sales rep. Told him what happened, what car I bought the same day, and that I wouldn't ever consider dealing with them again.

Buddy -

We get it: Sales staff should be more accommodating to customers regardless of how they are dressed. Point well taken. I think there are few people who would disagree. But I am left to ponder what kind of life you lead, that you felt compelled to return to the first car dealership "a couple of weeks later" to basically *****-slap a sales representative.

Were you really so offended by what you perceived to be a slight? And if so, why didn't you speak up or ask for assistance. From my personal experience, that is sometimes all it takes. Moreover, while you truly may be convinced the sole reason that you received immediate attention during the second visit versus the first, was because you were wearing a suit, the reality is that you do not know for certain.

Call me crazy, but I would like to think that the joy you received from driving a newly purchased $75,000 automobile would be satisfaction enough. But no. You also felt it necessary to be mean-spirited and stick it to somebody.

Is it just me, or does this sound like an irrational obsession with a perceived slight that stewed and ruminated for a while?

Don't let it own you . . . Let it go.

Captain Queeg: Ahh, but the strawberries that's... that's where I had them. They laughed at me and made jokes but I proved beyond the shadow of a doubt and with... geometric logic... that a duplicate key to the wardroom icebox DID exist, and I'd have produced that key if they hadn't of pulled the Caine out of action.

tacobender

Reaction score

It sucks that you were slighted, but there are many factors here. Did you smile when you walked in? Something about your body language could have said you were just interested in looking with out wanting to be bothered. What if you wanted a more casual browsing experience and then came here to rant about the time you want to BMW and they were all over you and wouldn't let you browse in peace.
I have no problem with you calling them to let them know about what happened, but I wouldn't go back to stick it to them. How do you know they had the exact car on the lot that you wound up buying, or could even match the price of the other dealership? Mind you they will never know because they didn't approach you, but you can't just assume that it was such an easy sale.

Laurens

Reaction score
I truly hate it when that happens, luckily, it hasn't happened to me a lot, in the Netherlands nowadays they don't know what to expect anymore.

However, one time it happened to me and I showed them the error of their ways; on my morning run past the expensive shops in Amsterdam, I saw a nice pair of shoes in a shop window, thinking that they might be gone quickly in my size I walked in. My outfit wasn't satorialistic by any means, hey who wears a suit when working out? I wore my hockey-training outfit, with a Lacoste hoodie, some Nike trainers, IPod with ear buds and two headbands to keep my hair in place. All the employees did was glance at me for just a second before they continued to doing nothing again, when I asked them for the shoes in the window an employee said: "That doesn't really fit your style sir." with a mocking tone. I became really cross, but managed to keep my cool and just said: "You just lost yourself a potential customer." And walked out to continue my run again.

Three days later, I went in again, this time wearing clothing that is more stylish and I arrived on my Vespa for that extra touch; the employees suddenly acted very friendly and were really polite. I managed to keep the same person busy for an hour before saying to him: "I can't recall this level off service when I entered here during my morning run." His face turned white and it began to dare on him. Excuses started to pour out of his mouth, I just said good day sir and left. Never returned to that store since.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sound a bit petty. I mean why even bother?

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Laurens
I truly hate it when that happens, luckily, it hasn't happened to me a lot, in the Netherlands nowadays they don’t know what to expect anymore. However, one time it happened to me and I showed them the error of their ways; on my morning run past the expensive shops in Amsterdam, I saw a nice pair of shoes in a shop window, thinking that they might be gone quickly in my size I walked in. My outfit wasn’t satorialistic by any means, hey who wears a suit when working out? I wore my hockey-training outfit, with a Lacoste hoodie, some Nike trainers, IPod with ear buds and two headbands to keep my hair in place. All the employees did was glance at me for just a second before they continued to doing nothing again, when I asked them for the shoes in the window an employee said: “That doesn’t really fit your style sir.” with a mocking tone. I became really cross, but managed to keep my cool and just said: “You just lost yourself a potential customer.” And walked out to continue my run again. Three days later, I went in again, this time wearing clothing that is more stylish and I arrived on my Vespa for that extra touch; the employees suddenly acted very friendly and were really polite. I managed to keep the same person busy for an hour before saying to him: “I can’t recall this level off service when I entered here during my morning run.” His face turned white and it began to dare on him. Excuses started to pour out of his mouth, I just said good day sir and left. Never returned to that store since.
It looks like I'm on a crusade now but really? You spent an hour of your life in a store to teach someone a lesson?! Too much time on your hands I think. I'd have told you to **** off as you are indeed a sad **** and I win because I am paid a salary to stand in this store whether I am talking to imbeciles or not.

Laurens

Reaction score
Originally Posted by David Reeves
It looks like I'm on a crusade now but really? You spent an hour of your life in a store to teach someone a lesson?! Too much time on your hands I think. I'd have told you to **** off as you are indeed a sad **** and I win because I am paid a salary to stand in this store whether I am talking to imbeciles or not.

Why am I a "sad ****"? To me insulting someone like that is a sign of weakness. In addition, I used the time to fit the shoes and check out a couple of other pairs. I immediately bought the shoes at another store where I knew the employees aren't like that, really there was no loss of time on my side, and it might not make a difference but it felt good to teach him a lesson for being an impolite, unfriendly and very biased person. I also like the way you are suggesting that I'm an imbecile, to me that just sounds very immature.

Quarks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Laurens
I truly hate it when that happens, luckily, it hasn't happened to me a lot, in the Netherlands nowadays they don't know what to expect anymore.

However, one time it happened to me and I showed them the error of their ways; on my morning run past the expensive shops in Amsterdam, I saw a nice pair of shoes in a shop window, thinking that they might be gone quickly in my size I walked in. My outfit wasn't satorialistic by any means, hey who wears a suit when working out? I wore my hockey-training outfit, with a Lacoste hoodie, some Nike trainers, IPod with ear buds and two headbands to keep my hair in place. All the employees did was glance at me for just a second before they continued to doing nothing again, when I asked them for the shoes in the window an employee said: "That doesn't really fit your style sir." with a mocking tone. I became really cross, but managed to keep my cool and just said: "You just lost yourself a potential customer." And walked out to continue my run again.

Three days later, I went in again, this time wearing clothing that is more stylish and I arrived on my Vespa for that extra touch; the employees suddenly acted very friendly and were really polite. I managed to keep the same person busy for an hour before saying to him: "I can't recall this level off service when I entered here during my morning run." His face turned white and it began to dare on him. Excuses started to pour out of his mouth, I just said good day sir and left. Never returned to that store since.

You, sir, are not a 'sad f@#k'. I would have done exactly the same.
Nowadays, however, I could care less. If no one is serving me or rather, no one cares to serve me, I will take things my own hand. Ie. try the shoes on, on my own. Parade at my own leisure as I wish, of course, with the intention of purchasing one. It works well for me & my temperament.
To each his own.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I found the staff to be great, very attentive. The store wasn't busy, but what do I care. I tried on probably 10 pair of shoes before settling on a pair and the sales person had no issue with this.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They were friendly and helpful when I was there, even though I did not ultimately purchase anything there.

jasonmarshalljazz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spark
This appears to be quite a shift from when they were over above T&A or in their other shops

I went to the NYC shop several times and got impeccable service from the manager - Cynthia? - who knew the details of every model and was very helpful in trying on an endless number of pairs. I have a very wide forefoot and it can be a ***** to fit.

Regrettably, we learned that the 337 in a 10 is near perfect - that's an expensive insight.

FWIW, I received the same level of service when I visited the Jermyn store in London a year or so ago. Staff couldn't have been friendlier, patient, or helpful.

Probably only time I didn't have an absolutely stellar service experience was when I popped into their shop in Beverly Hills, but I chalked that off to the generic SoCal attitude thing...

she is the reason i own a dozen pair of C&J

bewing77

Reaction score

Buddy -

We get it: Sales staff should be more accommodating to customers regardless of how they are dressed. Point well taken. I think there are few people who would disagree. But I am left to ponder what kind of life you lead, that you felt compelled to return to the first car dealership "a couple of weeks later" to basically *****-slap a sales representative.

Were you really so offended by what you perceived to be a slight? And if so, why didn't you speak up or ask for assistance. From my personal experience, that is sometimes all it takes. Moreover, while you truly may be convinced the sole reason that you received immediate attention during the second visit versus the first, was because you were wearing a suit, the reality is that you do not know for certain.

Call me crazy, but I would like to think that the joy you received from driving a newly purchased $75,000 automobile would be satisfaction enough. But no. You also felt it necessary to be mean-spirited and stick it to somebody.

Is it just me, or does this sound like an irrational obsession with a perceived slight that stewed and ruminated for a while?

Don't let it own you . . . Let it go.

Captain Queeg: Ahh, but the strawberries that's... that's where I had them. They laughed at me and made jokes but I proved beyond the shadow of a doubt and with... geometric logic... that a duplicate key to the wardroom icebox DID exist, and I'd have produced that key if they hadn't of pulled the Caine out of action.
Yes, I perceived it as a slight as you put it, and what I as a customer perceive when I walk into their establishment is all that really matters. And no, I can't be certain the clothes was the only reason that they basically looked away when I was standing around waiting for them the first time and where all over me the second time, I only know what actually happened, which again is all that matters. And to be honest, I went back simply because I was in chock and disbelief over my first experience and I really wanted them to treat me the same the second time which would have meant they where just inept sales people, but not discriminating. When I got the attention the second time I saw no reason not to tell them what happened so that maybe it won't happen again. If one of my customers where unhappy with my services I would be happy to be told about it.

Leather man

Reaction score
I would have done exactly as you. I don't understand those who feel you should have just "sucked it up". You did the BMW dealer a favour and maybe, just maybe they'll change their ways because you pointed out a serious flaw in their approach to people.

There is no way you should have done their job for them by hailing a member of staff! They are there to serve you and if they can't be bothered then you did quite the right thing in walking out of the door. It would have also given me the impression that the after sales care would be equally slap-dash.

I've just appointed a solictor for the purposes of selling my house. I spoke to three. How did I decide? One was way over priced, one did not seem to want my business ( quoted a price but made me answer so many questions about nothing that I eventually said to her " Do you actually want my business?") and the third? Well she was bright, interested and nothing was a problem to her - she acted as if she were there to do what I needed. And that's what I will be paying her for.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You stupid stupid man.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads