• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
great job!

Scotty

Reaction score
Great!

I was thinking myself on a Bussiness casual WAYWRN or something like that... this can be the one.

I hope to be posting here soon.

Those colorful pants are great, all chinos and blue ocbd would be a little boring
satisfied.gif

Are ocassional wool slacks allowed ?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
A. WAYWRN: MC Casual Style

A.1. What guys who wear conservative business dress wear when they're not wearing conservative business dress
A.2. What guys who don't wear conservative business dress wear instead of conservative business dress
A.3. Reevolving

A.1.a. OCBDs or tennis shirts with chinos, linen pants, jean pants, or cotton and linen shorts.
A.1.b. Sometimes with a sweater/jumper and/or odd jacket.
A.1.c. Usually with derbies or loafers, sometimes boots.

A.2.a. No suits, or suits that don't fit very well.
A.2.b. Jackets without ties, or jackets with ties with jean pants. Preference for jackets that don't fit very well.
A.2.c. Crazy pants (no edmorel/iammatt.)
A.2.d. OCBDs, tennis shirts, or workwear shirts with chinos, linen pants, jean pants, or cotton and linen shorts.
A.2.e. Often with derbies or loafers, otherwise with sneakers or boots.

A.3. Reevolving

- B

I wanted to make a list like that for the conservative business dress thread, but realized there wouldn't be enough variety to make it interesting. Either way, bonus points for blue shirts!

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where is Man of Kent? He's been exploring casual over in the SW&D thread. Some are complete misses to my eye, and then he pops off something spectacular.

Admittedly, I like best the ones where he is echoing his British farmer ancestors.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
First of all, I wasn't doing a best of, just collecting all casual shots from last month's WAYWRN. Secondly, this is a different style of dressing. While bright colored pants may seem like trying too hard to you, to me they look interesting. Each person has his own personality and it may be expressed in many ways; at SF we express it partially through our choice of clothes. For example, when I wear red pants, I feel natural and comfortable. Spoo looks great in his colorful trousers, he's having fun and not taking himself too seriously. I prefer that to the conservative business dress. That's not to say I don't like conservative business dress, which focuses on fit and proportions rather than color and texture. It's all very interesting and worth mastering.

Point well taken. I'll take my red pants and my white pants and my overly bold striped shirts and get my coat
smile.gif

Well done on setting all of this up too.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
First of all, I wasn't doing a best of, just collecting all casual shots from last month's WAYWRN. Secondly, this is a different style of dressing. While bright colored pants may seem like trying too hard to you, to me they look interesting. Each person has his own personality and it may be expressed in many ways; at SF we express it partially through our choice of clothes. For example, when I wear red pants, I feel natural and comfortable. Spoo looks great in his colorful trousers, he's having fun and not taking himself too seriously. I prefer that to the conservative business dress. That's not to say I don't like conservative business dress, which focuses on fit and proportions rather than color and texture. It's all very interesting and worth mastering.
A serious thought on this topic: I like colorful trou now and then. I like quirk and self-expression in general. But where the recent MC casual trend loses me is the sheer volume of quirk and self-expression. Bright trou aren't seen as a novelty, or a bit of whimsy to be worn in an appropriate setting. They have become mundane, and now are, as often as not, accessorized with all sorts of additional whimsy. Pastel pants, bright blue drivers or white bals, no socks, a bead bracelet, a bright watchband, a funny hat. The individual items lose their novelty and the overall effect is garish. More bothersome to me, this has become everyday gear, so there's little chance of it looking less garish in situ. In the old days of SF, sometimes I'd see an outfit that looked a bit too much and give it the benefit of the doubt: Maybe his situation is such that will not look out of place. But lately I strain to extend that same courtesy. The recent trend is for outfits that are meant to be looked at, a la the getups we like to mock on non-SFers. I'm not necessarily opposed to that, but I don't understand it as everyday wear. Novelty is no longer novel if it's done to death. There has to be some restraint or it collapses into costume and kitsch. This is not to condemn all the casual stuff. Some guys are very good at it. But in general I'd like it much more if there were much less.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
A serious thought on this topic: I like colorful trou now and then. I like quirk and self-expression in general. But where the recent MC casual trend loses me is the sheer volume of quirk and self-expression. Bright trou aren't seen as a novelty, or a bit of whimsy to be worn in an appropriate setting. They have become mundane, and now are, as often as not, accessorized with all sorts of additional whimsy. Pastel pants, bright blue drivers or white bals, no socks, a bead bracelet, a bright watchband, a funny hat. The individual items lose their novelty and the overall effect is garish. More bothersome to me, this has become everyday gear, so there's little chance of it looking less garish in situ. In the old days of SF, sometimes I'd see an outfit that looked a bit too much and give it the benefit of the doubt: Maybe his situation is such that will not look out of place. But lately I strain to extend that same courtesy. The recent trend is for outfits are meant to be looked at, a la the getups we like to mock on non-SFers. I'm not necessarily opposed to that, but I don't understand it as everyday wear. Novelty is no longer novel if it's done to death. There has to be some restraint or it collapses into costume and kitsch.

This is not to condemn all the casual stuff. Some guys are very good at it. But in general I'd like it much more if there was much less.

SF's very own Pitti thread.

devil.gif

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
A serious thought on this topic: I like colorful trou now and then. I like quirk and self-expression in general. But where the recent MC casual trend loses me is the sheer volume of quirk and self-expression. Bright trou aren't seen as a novelty, or a bit of whimsy to be worn in an appropriate setting. They have become mundane, and now are, as often as not, accessorized with all sorts of additional whimsy. Pastel pants, bright blue drivers or white bals, no socks, a bead bracelet, a bright watchband, a funny hat. The individual items lose their novelty and the overall effect is garish. More bothersome to me, this has become everyday gear, so there's little chance of it looking less garish in situ. In the old days of SF, sometimes I'd see an outfit that looked a bit too much and give it the benefit of the doubt: Maybe his situation is such that will not look out of place. But lately I strain to extend that same courtesy. The recent trend is for outfits are meant to be looked at, a la the getups we like to mock on non-SFers. I'm not necessarily opposed to that, but I don't understand it as everyday wear. Novelty is no longer novel if it's done to death. There has to be some restraint or it collapses into costume and kitsch.

This is not to condemn all the casual stuff. Some guys are very good at it. But in general I'd like it much more if there was much less.

Mundane on these boards, but not in the wild.

feastmaster

Reaction score
I somewhat agree with Pvrhye. I think that on the boards, the members have more of an idea of what they're doing. Out in the wild in my neck of the woods, people who dress over the top are only doing it to get a reaction, or are trying to copy what they saw on TV/movie/GQ. To me, it doesn't look cohesive or comfortable. Also, they flaunt it, which gets on my nerves. Doc is right, it isn't whimsical anymore, and it gives people who dress like that on occasion (and who do it well) a bad name. Carry on.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by feastmaster
I somewhat agree with Pvrhye. I think that on the boards, the members have more of an idea of what they're doing. Out in the wild in my neck of the woods, people who dress over the top are only doing it to get a reaction, or are trying to copy what they saw on TV/movie/GQ. To me, it doesn't look cohesive or comfortable. Also, they flaunt it, which gets on my nerves. Doc is right, it isn't whimsical anymore, and it gives people who dress like that on occasion (and who do it well) a bad name. Carry on.

I was taking the opposite stance. We might be burned out on wild pants, but most people don't look at pictures of them on websites all day. They're still fresh (not the funky kind) to most people.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I always enjoyed the more casual looks of guys like yfyf, old dog old trix, holdfast, Niidawg, PhatGuido, etc since I think it frees them up to experiment a little where they couldn't going to the office (in some cases). Those are some of my favorite looks!

I hope this thread sticks and people use it to post their experiments or casual fun looks. It's sort of like a SW&D WAYW but for guy who aren't doing Boo+APC+CP.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
By the way, this one's my favorite
Thanks!
smile.gif
NYR's orange trousers look is way better though! I think there's some scope for this thread to work, but it's going to be tricky. Firstly, let's face it, many people here are dreadful at casual looks. I include myself in that category, most of the time. The plum-coloured linen shirt in one of the pics acecow used is a prime example of that! That alone may drain enthusiasm for checking the thread regularly. Also, it may be kind of tricky figuring out what's casual enough to merit posting here. Obviously, anything with jeans, brightly coloured trousers or shirts, is a definite. But what about jacket and button-down collar shirt without a tie? I'd consider that casual, personally, though more along the lines of smart-casual or what Scotty refers to above as business casual, than truly casual. Anyway, I'll cross-post my WAYWRN fit from today into here, just to add some discussion material. Is it casual? I'd say so. I wore it to do some work, but under an hour of that, and I'm going to wear it out to dinner with a friend tonight, so I'd call it casual. But I suspect many would consider it too formal to include in this thread.
4hqBi.jpg

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is a great thread ace, well done!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads