• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tennesseean_87
I found two pair of size ten Belgian Shoes in good-excellent condition for $25 each. Are they worth flipping?

ya, send them here Federal Correctional Complex, Butner but make sure you get paid in cash first
devil.gif

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a few things today: Persol Sunglasses. First pair of nice sunglasses I've ever come across. A friend of mine found a mint pair of Ray-Bans in the same "New Arrival" cart. Both likely from the same PO. The Persols, like the Ray-Bans, looked to have been worn just a handful of times.
DSC08444.jpg
Two "Andrew's Ties" ties. Never heard of them before but they felt amazing.
DSC08445.jpg
DSC08446.jpg

datsunfan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWGP
Eh, it's a style thing - I don't mind it, but a lot of guys want vents. There's even some guys who won't wear single vents for whatever reason, only side vents. It's partly just what's in fashion but there is some practical use for vents too.

It has to do with body type. I can't wear single vents because I have relatively large hips compared to my waist. This causes single vent to open. The only fix to this is to have a tailor let out the waist of the jacket, but then the jacket becomes more sack-like. I don't have this problem with side vents or unvented jackets.

mistermidwester

Reaction score
With all the holiday sales that thrift stores usually have over Independence Day, I figured this thread would be bumping, but maybe everyone else had the same crap-tastic luck I did. Went a couple places each of the past couple days and it's been a total burn. I haven't found
2e16k2x.jpg

tone76

Reaction score
Picked up a few interesting things during my latest round of thrifting, including a pair of Brioni trousers for $7.
biggrin.gif
I also bought what appears to be a fake Armani suit.
ffffuuuu.gif
It looked convincing enough in the thrift store, but when I got it home the telltale 'fake' flags stood out like dog's balls. I know it's poor form to take stuff back to a thrift store, but what else can I do with it? I can't really flip it, as it would be dishonest.

On the plus side, I only paid $40 for it.

wcl

Reaction score
A few highlights from this week. Belvest Wool/Linen and Bills Seersucker Trou. Also a large Loewe scarf. Not really sure what I will do with it, but it has a really cool hunting theme. The watch is a Hamilton that was mixed in with the novelty watches and sunglasses. The pants actually cost twice as much as it did.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tone76
I know it's poor form to take stuff back to a thrift store, but what else can I do with it? I can't really flip it, as it would be dishonest.

On the plus side, I only paid $40 for it.

Not really - if they take returns, why not? I do this quite a bit with stuff I pick up for my wife because even nice women's clothing is super tough to sell.

I'd definitely take it back no matter what if you spent $40. That's a lot of money for a thrift find to begin with. I get really picky spending over $15 on a thrifted suit.

Originally Posted by wcl
A few highlights from this week. Belvest Wool/Linen and Bills Seersucker Trou. Also a large Loewe scarf. Not really sure what I will do with it, but it has a really cool hunting theme. The watch is a Hamilton that was mixed in with the novelty watches and sunglasses. The pants actually cost twice as much as it did.

Wow, nice haul, especially on the Hamilton!

tone76

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Not really - if they take returns, why not? I do this quite a bit with stuff I pick up for my wife because even nice women's clothing is super tough to sell. I'd definitely take it back no matter what if you spent $40. That's a lot of money for a thrift find to begin with. I get really picky spending over $15 on a thrifted suit.
The thrift store in question offers a 7 day exchange. I was thinking of waiting a few days before taking the offending suit back; mainly to see if any other good stuff has arrived in the meantime. I did manage to pick up those Brioni trousers, a pair of Corneliani trousers (which are likely to be flipped) and a TM Lewin shirt from the same thrift store, so it wasn't all bad news. And, here in Australia, $40-$50 for a decent* suit is about right from a thrift store. It's almost impossible to find high end suits in thrift stores, and when you do they cost a motza. I saw a Hugo Boss in the same thrift store for $80; the funny part is that the fake Armani actually looks and feels a little nicer than the real(?) Boss! I know, HB is hardly high end, but Australians have been conditioned into believing it is the last word in high quality menswear.
facepalm.gif
Oh, and congrats on your sweet haul too. That Hamilton ...
drool.gif
(* in the Australian context, a 'decent' suit is one that's 100% wool and not made in China ... but it's still fused. Usually made in Australia or NZ, such as Studio Italia or Rembrandt ... I'm not sure what the US equivalent would be)

CarlSpackler27

Reaction score
The Hamilton is sweet, but the hunting scene on the scarf is even sweeter (at least to me). Nice haul.

Originally Posted by wcl
Also a large Loewe scarf. Not really sure what I will do with it, but it has a really cool hunting theme.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any opinions on this? I left it because the neck was a bit large and the body was very full but it sure felt nice. Besides, I don't know from contrast collars. If I oculd get the "X" in the monogram changed to an "H", I'd buy it regardless, as in...Jesus H. Christ! I'm wearing a Turnbull & Asser!
IMG_20110707_194748.jpg
IMG_20110707_194812.jpg

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd have a hard time wearing that T&A with those cuffs, IMO french/double cuff is a must on them. I'm sure that you could have those taken off and replaced at a shop in your city if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads