• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Travel: Places where you have been and NEVER wish to go back!

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anytown in the South; those include:
Charlotte
Atlanta
anything in Alabama, Georgia and N/S Carolina...
nasty,redneck accents, ubiquitous stench of sweat everywhere,gnarled traffic, hypocritical/two-faced people
ffffuuuu.gif

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are tons of crappy cities in the US that aren't worth listing here because they aren't really travel destinations in the first place.

International destinations I probably won't return to:

Bangkok - Good food and some nice spots but the whole vibe is lame and the place is filled to the brim with annoying sexpats and corny girls.

Cambodia - Aside from Angkor Wat and parts of the capital, it's pretty poor, creepy, and depressing.

Beihai, China - Depressing beach town. Nice people, though.

Shanghai -- Concrete slab of capitalism populated by (mostly) shallow people and crooks. The Los Angeles of the Orient.

Suzhou, China -- Depressing, nondescript.

whenwe

Reaction score
Tangiers- Creepy place, far cry from what it used to be I guess.
Geneva- Boring and expensive
Khartoum- depressing as ****/ scary

cuffthis

Reaction score
7 pages so far and no mention of Jamaica? My over/under was page 2 for mention of that.

I personally love Jamaica and have been there 30+ times in the last 20 years.

But I'm constantly bombarded with questions like "is it safe?" from people who've never been or only ever been in an AI like Sandals.

kruze

Reaction score
Detroit
Lodi/Fresno as mentioned earlier
Reno
St Louis, Little Rock, Hunstville, etc. Not my style -food, women, culture, all of it.
Miami [not the beach, just the city]
Redding/Chico - small, tired, not cool even though I've heard otherwise from an idiot
Hartford
Perth Amboy, Patterson, Secaucus - no explanation

Only been to a few places overseas, Germany and Poland, liked both. Will be traveling more soon and will potentially go to one listed in this thread...belgrade.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
St. Louis is going to ******* suck if you are from Southern California, and I say this as a person from St. Louis who doesn't really like Southern California besides the weather.
A couple weeks ago, I got on a plane at LAX, got off at STL; have been out of the country for a few years, so the 4 or 5 enormous butch lesbians at baggage claim in outfits ranging from Dodgers uniforms to leather driver's caps and flannel shirts was just shocking, I really was not ready for that at that point. Everything I've experienced in the past few weeks makes me want to never want to leave Tokyo again.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whenwe
Tangiers- Creepy place, far cry from what it used to be I guess.
Geneva- Boring and expensive
Khartoum- depressing as ****/ scary

Geneva sucks, spent too much time there on business. Worth maybe three hours as a tourist. Close to some very nice places though (French Alps).

One place I could live without seeing ever again - all of Florida.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only place I can think of is Marrakech, Marocco. It was fun to see once, but it is just a dirty, smelly city. Lots of people, mainly children and teens that surround you and try to make a buck as a city guide. When you don't respond they can get aggressive.

Marrakech has some nice things to see, but i saw them and I'm not going back.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Even though i live here, I'd put Seoul on the list, I guess I am marooned. 3 or 4 days and you've seen most of the good stuff. The tail is amazing, but to see the best of it, you need to stay more than a week, and it's all downhill from there.
ffffuuuu.gif

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What'd you have against Chicago? My major complaint is lack of terrain and the shoreline being absolutely straight.

For places I have no desire to go to again, add: Nebraska. And Abilene, Texas.

I don't much like El Paso, Texas, but it does have some nice places around the university. That copper smelting plant right in the middle of town with the huge "We're Green, El Paso" sign was good Big Lie candidate.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The people in this thread posting places like Springfield and Huntsville and Jackson, Mississippi are missing the point of this thread. Those aren't travel destinations and no one in their right mind would expect them to be interesting.

saysomething

Reaction score
^ Being in Canada and not yet traveled extensively throughout the US, I was thinking, "Why haven't I heard of a lot of these places?" Thanks for the clarification, L-B.

Shenzhen, China - interesting to walk around a huge metropolis that didn't exist as early as 15yrs ago, but the city doesn't have that much to offer besides Mission Hills.

Macau - unless I need to purchase a pair of his and hers diamond encrusted rollies, used and more than likely fake.

Before lurking/joining SF I would have said HK, but now I must visit The Armourey, tailors and probably other places I have yet to learn about.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by saysomething
^ Being in Canada and not yet traveled extensively throughout the US, I was thinking, "Why haven't I heard of a lot of these places?" Thanks for the clarification, L-B.

Shenzhen, China - interesting to walk around a huge metropolis that didn't exist as early as 15yrs ago, but the city doesn't have that much to offer besides Mission Hills.

Macau - unless I need to purchase a pair of his and hers diamond encrusted rollies, used and more than likely fake.

Before lurking/joining SF I would have said HK, but now I must visit The Armourey, tailors and probably other places I have yet to learn about.

If you don't want to go back to HK, you might as well just kill yourself right not because you don't love life. That place is awesome to visit and remains my favorite city on the planet. Riding the train in from the Airport all the way to Causeway Bay and stepping out onto the crowded, muggy street for the first time remains one of my most vivid and treasured travel experiences.

changy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
If you don't want to go back to HK, you might as well just kill yourself right not because you don't love life. That place is awesome to visit and remains my favorite city on the planet. Riding the train in from the Airport all the way to Causeway Bay and stepping out onto the crowded, muggy street for the first time remains one of my most vivid and treasured travel experiences.

I have no love for Hong Kong. I tend to lump HK and Shanghai together as cities that a person should visit once and only once.

saysomething

Reaction score
Lb, please share with me how you've obtained the ability to determine my passion for life based on a geographical destination I'd not like to revisit. If you had asked me why, and I responded with, "hk has way too many exciting and adventurous things to do and places to see whereas I'm more interested in being sullen in my hotel room which hk's hotels do not encourage.", your remark might have some validity. Don't ask me why, for I'll spit in your eye.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads