• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How did you decide a career?

Blazerd

Reaction score
When you decide a career, You must have to see career growth. Every business field needs marketing department. Marketing jobs are in great demand these days because of the many progressive businesses that arise through sudden economic depression.
smile.gif

johnfernandis

Reaction score
As I want to say that making for good and best career then people should go in the field of their interest and passion and in which they can enjoy the work.And by this they can do their best in the work and can go long ahead.As in my case I have craze for new invention and to get knowledge and day by day new things and I like all this in computer field so I am doing my bachelor degree in computer engineering.And I am enjoying my study and job in It co. now a days also.

SD1

Reaction score
I wanted to be a marine biologist since I was 7, so my path was chosen early.

Originally Posted by chas
Moved to NYC to follow a girl and got a job out of the New York Times doing Environmental Consulting. That was 9.5 years ago. Still in the same field and couldn't be happier.

I'm in the enviro consulting field as well. Love it.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SD1
I wanted to be a marine biologist since I was 7, so my path was chosen early.

I'm in the enviro consulting field as well. Love it.

How do you fellas like the field and how did you get into it? What sort of consulting do you do? Air? Water? Lead/Asbestos?

I'm asking because my BS and MS are in that field and most of the people I talk to have no idea such field exists.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
A lot of people say this until they get into upper level accounting courses. You really have to enjoy it somewhat to get through it. I'll be studying for my CPA exam for the next four months and if I didn't have some passion for rules and numbers combined I'd be ready to jump off a bridge. Actuallly, it's only been a week and I'm considering it already.

Hang in there dude, I just borrowed the 4 Gleim review books from a co-worker and I'm planning to take BEC in October. The firm I work for will pay for Becker so I'll get that as well. Many have done it before us, so it's definitely not impossible
bounce2.gif

SD1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
How do you fellas like the field and how did you get into it? What sort of consulting do you do? Air? Water? Lead/Asbestos?

I'm asking because my BS and MS are in that field and most of the people I talk to have no idea such field exists.

quick and dirty- started as a fisheries biologist with the state; went to the county where i did surface water quality, seagrass studies, watershed plans, etc.; went to private consulting about 3.5 yrs ago.

I do primarily surface water quality studies, stormwater permitting, restoration, BMPs, TMDLs, NPDES compliance and assorted other acronyms! I still do occasional fish, lake/stream watershed mgmt, and seagrass work. I also do a lot of business development/marketing and project management, both of which I also enjoy immensely.

DaveB

Reaction score
I got stuck in an accounting class because I had one of the latest orientations freshmen year. I had a parent who was an accountant and wanted nothing to do with it.

The teacher was awful and made the tests brutal but sent an e-mail to a few us suggesting we choose it as a major. I had a knack for it and as far as jobs/salary it was pretty practical.

As I got into the upper level with more intricate projects I started to really enjoy it to the point where given a chance to choose writing a paper about google or SOX I choose to write about SOX.

Doing my masters and studying for FAR now and I still find the stuff somewhat interesting.

cretaceous_cretin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Given your parameters you want something were the undergrad can be a terminal degree and a field in high demand. This would give you everything from computer science to nursing to accounting to engineering. Pick something you like with these parameters.

For me it was simple, electrical engineering, which I liked at the time. Still do, but technical fields like engineering and computer science/programming are subject to large layoffs, which is the downside. I definitely concur that it should be something you like and are interested in. If you are looking for stability and low probability of layoffs, the health sciences is a good choice-bio engineering, nursing, med tech, occupational therapy, and the like. Software engineering can be good, but be prepared to move to find a job you really like.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The process for me has been rather organic, and is still going. I'd always been a nerd, always reading on my own at home, doing little experiments, hitting up museums, etc. I liked a lot of my classes in high school, but realized going into college that it seemed pretty useless to do something like History or English simply because I'd enjoy it. I ended up deciding to head into the sciences, I'd done well in them in high school and really enjoyed my three semesters of chemistry.

I signed up to take General Chemistry, it counted for the chem degree, and was a pre-req for both physics and bio. Also took physics that semester. I did well in both, but pretty quickly realized that the mindset for physics was not for me. I got a job on campus doing research that summer and basically never looked back.

Went to grad school, picked something that I was interested in and vaguely seemed to have job potential. Suffered through for 4.5 years, got my PhD as an experimental physical chemist, hung around town while my wife graduated and got a teaching job.

Now I'm looking into research positions again and things seem promising. Haven't gotten anything yet, but I worked for the right guy as it turns out. I'll probably end up in the DC defense industry, or working for the government. Vaguely thinking about moving into science policy sometime down the road, or moving back into teaching when I'm older and have less energy and drive. We'll see, things have worked out ok so far.

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
But why spend a lifetime doing something that you don't love? Money isn't always the answer ... unless, of course, money is what one loves.

Beccause doing what you love but not being able to pay rent is pretty worthless?

Originally Posted by DaveB
I started to really enjoy it to the point where given a chance to choose writing a paper about google or SOX I choose to write about SOX.

You are a sick, sick man.

ALDRICH

Reaction score
No one can analysis on your self better than you.Always ask two question from your self that what can you do and what should you do .You will find the answers according to your nature and that would be the path/land where you can construct the building of your career effectively.

MrMonkey

Reaction score
My career was kind of decided when I discovered I was reasonably good with certain skills, such as problem solving, methodical thinking and having an 'ability' to understand and get my head around things. For information, I am a technical consultant. I have worked for a number of companies and run my own consultancy, but now work for a global service supplier.

I identified something I had a skill with, and ran with it. However, when I was growing up I often thought about being a doctor (having spent lots of time in hospitals), but the downfall was I found academia frustrating, prefering to see things happen in the real world than read about them in a book. So the IT route seemed a little more suitable to this, particularly as there is no strict requirement for a particular qualification (as you can guess, IT related degrees and diplomas are half out of date by the time they reach you in the post, so really the conceptual side of things is pretty much what you get from University / School)/

However, as I am now a little older, I regret my decision. So how did I choose my career - I identified something I was good at and thought I could really excel at, and developed it. It worked for me so far, I have a good job, earn a good wage, drive a reasonable car, can buy myself pretty much what I want.

The best advice I can give (and this is a concept I think my in laws have yet to grasp), never let anyone put you down. Nobody is different from you, and at a basic level you have the same opportunities as everyone else. Pick something you think you would like to do and go for it. If it doesn't work out, look at where you went wrong and try again with the benefit of experience. Also, risks are OK - some of our caveman ancestors (or me today as I haven't shaved) took risks, went our, caught buffallo, scored a hot cave girl (preferably with a striking resemblence to Amber Heard) and feasted. The cautious ones, well, they sat in thier caves and starved.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I dislike cops, so other than being a meth-dealing militia member the only opportunity I have to beat up on them is in Court.
hey birdman, what does it take to be a lawyer??
I began drawing plans when I was in the fifth grade. I knew then that I wanted to be an architect.

Your going to spend a great bit of your life at this ... pick something that will make you happy!
this.
1. Things you like to do
2. Things you are good at
3. Things you can get paid to do

Find the intersection of these three things in order to succeed.
- I like Iron man - I like chemistry/biology (especially anatomy&physiology)/science in general (except physics) - I like clothes - I like making money what should I do?

johnaus

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

- I like Iron man
- I like chemistry/biology (especially anatomy&physiology)/science in general (except physics)
- I like clothes
- I like making money

what should I do?

'Street Pharmacist.'

- I like Iron man
Lots of time to watch TV when you've 'sampled your own merch' and can't sleep for 3 days.

- I like chemistry/biology (especially anatomy&physiology)/science in general (except physics)
Can't run a meth lab without chemistry and the anatomy part will be useful for sewing up your colleagues when they get shot or a lab explodes.

- I like clothes
You are your own boss, want to wear buttless chaps all day? that's fine. Want to grow a seedy moustache and carry a pimp cane? Go ahead.

- I like making money
Be good at your job and you will make plenty.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads