• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul stuart

yndmrk91

Reaction score
What can made in Canada Paul Stuart be compared to? better then BB 1818 but lower than GF? thanks

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait, what is GF? PS's Canadian make is extremely good. The shoulders and armholes are constructed by hand, it is fully canvassed and the rest of the suit is finished by machine. They are handcut however.

stinsonbass

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
Wait, what is GF? PS's Canadian make is extremely good. The shoulders and armholes are constructed by hand, it is fully canvassed and the rest of the suit is finished by machine. They are handcut however.
+1 The quality really is good. and yeah +1 about what GF is xD sorry for my lack of knowledge
blush.gif
:p

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paul Stuart has great suits, much nicer than Brooks Brothers, but I'm not sure how well they fare vs Black Fleece, but I am guessing not even close since Paul Stuarts felt and fitted as nice as RLBLs.

S. Able

Reaction score

Does construction differ at all from the standard Samuelsohn make?

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by S. Able

Being hand cut is for sure one. Because Paul Stuart has some soft shoulder models handwork is required in the shoulders. In fact they need to be made by hand to let give properly. They're made with silk thread, which believe it or not isn't very common in factory made clothing. But also one of the reasons people buy it at PS is the customer service aspect.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was curious about that as well. I might make the trip to PS based on the good things I heard on the forum.

yndmrk91

Reaction score

Are they all fully canvassed? I bought one off ebay which was a low cashmere blend and I can't tell if it is full or half, but after I got it fitted I love it!

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yndmrk91
Are they all fully canvassed? I bought one off ebay which was a low cashmere blend and I can't tell if it is full or half, but after I got it fitted I love it!

PS is always fully canvassed. PS has incredibly high standards. The Canadian make is just the beginning to the levels of quality PS offers.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

No

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score

Construction, i.e., actual sewing, does not differ.
Maybe there is some handwork in certain models.

What differs is as follows:
- Silhouette. PS has their own models which Sammy does not sell under the Sammy label. The cuts of the PS suits are exclusively PS's
- Fabric. PS selects its own fabric..it is not stock Sammy fabric

Best way to think of it is as though PS is doing CMT with Sammy as the manufacturer.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cloth is also Lesser, W. Bill, John Hardy, Harrisons, etc.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was a foreman at Samuelsohn so maybe I'm biased, but I think they represent excellent value.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads