• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you like your steak?

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend asking the waiter if they could bring you a divorce.

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
That's b/c anytime someone orders medium well the cook automatically assumes that the person doesn't give a **** and they cook it to hell.

That's what I figured. It was a filet, too
frown.gif

Originally Posted by mgm9128
I'd recommend asking the waiter if they could bring you a divorce.

As I am an unemployed graduate student, she is literally my meal ticket.

tsacain

Reaction score
Medium rare. But after this thread I will try rare.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Medium whether its NY Strip, Filet, Ribeye, Porterhouse- it is the only way I can do it. With a side of Fries, and cooked with some nice Worcestershire Sauce as well as a ice cold Coca Cola in a Glass Bottle (Mexican Coke), and I am in heaven for the net 8 minutes.

Tried Rare, Tried Medium Rare.. Flavorful, however I found myself chewing a lot and the steak getting cold.

Well Done just tastes like rubber to me.

corneliusparky

Reaction score
You eat a Ribeye in 8 minutes? I know I'm a slow eater but if I'm enjoying a meal it'll take me 30-40 minutes.

Medium-rare. Father used to order well done, been talked down to Medium-well. Mother used to order rare, eating in London during 2001 scared her into eating medium-rare. Foot and mouth.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mgm9128
I define someone with a good palate as being adventurous to try anything and everything, and then judge whether they like something or not. Most Americans, I feel, have preconceived ideas of what something will taste like, either because they have never tried it, or when they did have it, it wasn't prepared properly; I use Brussels sprouts as a salient example.

Originally Posted by gomestar
I just call this adventurous.

+1

A good palate is one that can discern flavors and even preperation techniques. A bad palate can't tell the difference between something heated in a microwave vs cooked fresh (just one example).

As for steak, although I prefer medium-rare, my base requirements are that it's juicy (even if well done) or that it doesn't taste of iron (which is what rare tastes like to me).

Zandros

Reaction score
Rare, but at least warm in the middle, whatever that translates to.

I ordered a well done steak in Paris once "” what can I say "” at some small, not very remarkable, place. It's possible they misunderstood, but I like to think they wanted to teach me something; I got the rarest piece of meat I ever ate, I think.

Bruinsfan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zandros
Rare, but at least warm in the middle, whatever that translates to.

I ordered a well done steak in Paris once "” what can I say "” at some small, not very remarkable, place. It's possible they misunderstood, but I like to think they wanted to teach me something; I got the rarest piece of meat I ever ate, I think.

if you would throw it at a wall would it stick? 0_o

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Knock his horns off, wipe his ass, and let's eat." This was my dad's normal response when asked by the waiter if he really wanted his steak very rare. His other favorite was "I don't mind if there is a little frost in the middle."

Mr Pelican Pants

Reaction score
Originally Posted by js4design
"Knock his horns off, wipe his ass, and let's eat." This was my dad's normal response when asked by the waiter if he really wanted his steak very rare. His other favorite was "I don't mind if there is a little frost in the middle."

I like those. I prefer my steak very rare, too. IMHO it should be purple and raw in the middle. Lovely

The second one, if used in a very nice restaurant (esp. a very nice French one, where very rare beef is likely to be the norm) is a bit of a put-down of the waiter for even asking - by intimating that the restaurant serves frozen beef. Another good response, in a different but similar vein, is "I'd like mine sitting up," which implies that a dog steak will be served.
satisfied.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads