• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

Carlisle Blues

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shibbel
Ended up picking this up, and a cheap mountain bike (trek marlin) rather than spend all my $ on a hybrid. I added a Cateye comp, and Shimano SPD pedals.
Good for you enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going for my first club run in about 5 or 6 years tomorrow. 55 miles at 16 mph with a cafe stop.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BoomDiggs
When installing your own pedals, how important is it that one acutally put grease of the threads before installing? Is my only risk that i won't be able to back the pedal back out if/when I want a new one?

Originally Posted by rdawson808
oh for crying out loud...tried to change my pedals but my wrench that I'd used in the past wouldn't fit. Asked two friends to borrow theirs, but they forgot day after day. So I bought one. Seized? Crap. WD-40 and let them sit--no luck. And I stripped the spindle a little. Tried a hex wrench from the back with no luck either. Had to take it to the shop today and they had to keep it to disassemble the pedal. So I grabbed a bus most of the way home. Missed the second bus by seconds and had to walk a half mile home in my bike shoes. Ugh.

And the bike is making some atrocious noise when I"\\mm up out of the saddle. I thought it was just chain slap, but it seems way too loud and metallic sounding. And now it's happening starting to happen when I'm just starting from a full stop.

b

Did you grease the threads before installing?

Egert

Reaction score
Any of you guys into mountain biking? I've done some cross tracks lately and for me:
1 hr of mountain > 4 hrs of sweating on the boring straight road

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sir Humphrey Appleby
Going for my first club run in about 5 or 6 years tomorrow. 55 miles at 16 mph with a cafe stop.

Pissing down with rain until pretty much exactly the time I would have had to leave. Time trial tonight it is then.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
Did you grease the threads before installing?
I didn't install them--the shop did. I'm having a hard time assuming they did [grease the threads].

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a Felt Q620 for my mountain biking acitivies last month.

Felt_Q620.jpg

bigbjorn

Reaction score
I didn't install them--the shop did. I'm having a hard time assuming they did [grease the threads].
You are aware that the non-drive-side pedal is reverse-threaded, to avoid loosening by precession?

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbjorn
You are aware that the non-drive-side pedal is reverse-threaded, to avoid loosening by precession?

Yes. If one more ******* person says that to me...

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Yeah, no offense, but if you can't get a pedal off with a 15mm pedal wrench on the flats, what are we supposed to think? It's not like you're asking how to press in a BB30 bottom bracket, how a Campy UT Hirth joint assembles, or how to press in a headset... Removing the pedals from a crank arm is sort of "bicycle mechanics, remedial edition" now available from Rodale press.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pissing down with rain until pretty much exactly the time I would have had to leave. Time trial tonight it is then.

9.2 miles (hilly), 28:59, strong head wind on the final and usually fastest bit. My heart and lungs were fine, legs aren't used to cycling anymore which stopped me. Felt good though.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbjorn
Yeah, no offense, but if you can't get a pedal off with a 15mm pedal wrench on the flats, what are we supposed to think? It's not like you're asking how to press in a BB30 bottom bracket, how a Campy UT Hirth joint assembles, or how to press in a headset... Removing the pedals from a crank arm is sort of "bicycle mechanics, remedial edition" now available from Rodale press.
I realize you were trying to be helpful, so I apologize for my ****** reply. But you could have assumed, since it is "bicycle mechanics, remedial edition," as you say, that they were simply on too tight and that it was turning in the correct direction. I have changed a pair of pedals before. [Edited to delete even more ****** commentary that I should have thought twice about posting.] b

Carlisle Blues

Reaction score
9.2 miles (hilly), 28:59, strong head wind on the final and usually fastest bit. My heart and lungs were fine, legs aren't used to cycling anymore which stopped me. Felt good though.
Thanks for posting your experience I have reading with keen interest....

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Carlisle Blues
Thanks for posting your experience I have reading with keen interest....

I'll keep posting shite about my bike then.
happy.gif

bigbjorn

Reaction score
I realize you were trying to be helpful, so I apologize for my ****** reply. But you could have assumed, since it is "bicycle mechanics, remedial edition," as you say, that they were simply on too tight and that it was turning in the correct direction. I have changed a pair of pedals before.
Fair enough. What kind of pedal wrench do you have? I have a VAR and a Park, and they're both long enough to put about 160 lb-ft of torque on the flats, which is quite a bit. If you need more than that, you could use a cheater bar on the Park or another wrench looped over the end of the VAR. Problem is that if galvanic corrosion has really set in, you might well strip the crank threads. But at this point, I don't think you have much option but to unthread the damn things, come hell or high water. Good luck.

BTW, rode to work today. 39.8 miles, just a touch over 2 hours. Saw two coyotes, two deer, one fox, and about 1,000,000 rabbits. Sucks to get up at 5am, but a beautiful ride.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads