• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a distinction between the "hawthorne" and the "hawthorne mule skinner" or are they one and the same?

Always thought they were the same but Amazon has them listed as if they are separate leather options.

Biggie_Robs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
Is there a distinction between the "hawthorne" and the "hawthorne mule skinner" or are they one and the same?

Always thought they were the same but Amazon has them listed as if they are separate leather options.

Notice that they also have "Hawthrone" listed. They're all the same.

alexa17

Reaction score
cant handle my self to share my Red wing 8113 after couples of wear. fit me like a glove. love it.
5869418457_c13a0c5278.jpg
*thanks to Matte Male for sizing advice. going to the campus
5869423983_334bff501c.jpg

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is currently the cheapest place to get Iron Rangers or any Red Wings for that matter?

alexa17

Reaction score
Originally Posted by triumphman
sorry, but another sizing question...

I wear the following:

Alden Trubalance / Barrie sz 7.5.
Clarks DB sz 8
Vans sz 8.5

What size?

i am 10 in DB, 10.5 in vans.
i picked up 9D in RW 8113.
perfect fit for me.

i also have RW 9016, which is same last with RW 8113, in 9.5D, it is slightly longer for me.

the point you must consider is RW leather is tend to be rigid for the first wear.
you might get some blister for first to tenth wear.. and maybe you will fell a lil bit pain when the toe part bend when walking.
but keep wearing it, the leather will get smoother.

you might apply some obenauf on oiled leather to expedite the leather to be smooth.

and try to wear it without socks sometimes.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Schpacko
replaced the standard laces with leather laces:

rKjap.jpg

Schpacko, did you use obenauf LP on yours? I have the same color and I'm trying to decide whether to keep the color as is, or use the obenauf LP and darken them.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexa17
i am 10 in DB, 10.5 in vans.
i picked up 9D in RW 8113.
perfect fit for me.

i also have RW 9016, which is same last with RW 8113, in 9.5D, it is slightly longer for me.

the point you must consider is RW leather is tend to be rigid for the first wear.
you might get some blister for first to tenth wear.. and maybe you will fell a lil bit pain when the toe part bend when walking.
but keep wearing it, the leather will get smoother.

you might apply some obenauf on oiled leather to expedite the leather to be smooth.

and try to wear it without socks sometimes.

I am 8 in allen edmonds, 7.5 in alden, 8 in vans, 9 in nikes.

I fit a 7 in the iron rangers. I agree that they were rigid for the first week and I may have picked up a few blisters along the way, but now they fit perfect!

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
What is currently the cheapest place to get Iron Rangers or any Red Wings for that matter?

Anyone?

alexa17

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
Anyone?

no idea sir.
i found my red wing on ebay and also this forum.
those place are the cheapest for me since my country doesnt have red wing store.

Imyouricecreamman

Reaction score
Ordered mine from ebay as well. Got them for 210$ and they are worth every penny as far as I'm concerned. These are boots you will have for years to come if you take care of them.

-V

OldSnake308

Reaction score
New to the forum, searching red wing shoes got me here.

This question is for multiple Red Wing owners..

I own a pair of size 11 Classic Lifestyle 6'' Moc and I think I'm hooked on RWs. I didn't think a pair of heavy, thick boots would be so comfortable. My question is, would it be safe to assume I am size 11 for Iron Rangers as well as I won't be buying on Zappos this time around, I don't have the luxury of sending it back.

Thanks in advance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads