• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why no love for the three piece suit?

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
right, but if everybody else dresses like a slob, if you show up in a nice slim fit suit, you look "weird" enough. adding a waistcoat hardly elevates it much further in my opinion.
There are plenty out there, though, that wear 2 piece suits. Hardly anyone these days wears 3. It would stand out, despite what you think. Just the way it is.
Originally Posted by Benzito
In my small office and even in the larger building, I am quite sure a three-piece would get plenty of stares and chuckles, no matter how nice. Too bad.
+1

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ohdannyboy
i agree with sellahi; i would LOVE to have a 3 piece in the collection (and may take the plunge) but the occasions where i could wear all three together, at least based on current life experience, are few and far between. i work in a large office (800+ people) and have not seen one 3 piece suit. ever.

If lots of guys wear suits (even double-breasted) in your office, try it once and see what happens. You'll probably get compliments from the ladies, and some of the suited guys will probably ask you where you got your 3-pc. The key is to wear it like you just threw it on that morning without a second thought ("What, this old thing? Had it for years.")

There is no "occasion" for a 3-pc. It's just another type of suit, like 2-button vs. 3-button.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of comments...

I've owned a number of them from classic pinstripes to heavy tweeds since the 70's.

The popularity of them seems to run for 6-8 years then suddenly they look so old and out of style that only some eccentric professor in an old movie might wear one.

Never buy a 3 -piece made in Italy. Or, if you do, throw away the vest. For some reason the Italians have never understood how to make a good vest. That is one thing the Brits do better than anyone anywhere.

My favorite three piece suits have all had vests with lapels. I love that look.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Rubbish, plenty of younger people look good in 3-piece suits. It's more about attitude than about age.

i have a slate grey pinstripe 3 piece that i love. Hardly looks like a costume. im 28, but I feel very comfortable in a 3 piece...so yeah attitude is much more important

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something of a speciality of mine. Most of the suits I make for myself or clients are three piece.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
I would disagree. I love 3 piece suits and I am in my 20's. I have at least three 3-piece suits and a variety of odd vests (which I don't wear as often).

you sound unsure of how many 3 piece suits you own.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I need to start making about $20k/yr more before I bust of the 3 piece out of the closet
lurker[1].gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by David Reeves
Something of a speciality of mine. Most of the suits I make for myself or clients are three piece.

They look great very well fitted...

Very trendy at the moment...

CHECKstar

Reaction score
I am taking delivery of my second three piece suit tomorrow (my first MTM). I am 29 and I love the look. At this stage I expect all my future suits to be three piece suits (apart from summer suits).

__PG__

Reaction score
I love wearing my 3 piece. At the office I feel like Kevin Costner from The Untouchables.

The ladies at my work also pay me compliments too.

JSSM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by uhurit
+1 Hard to pull off without looking pretentious and out of place
And why is a vest any worse than a pocket square? A vest is a practical piece of clothing and an extension of a suit. A pocket square will be viewed as decoration. I imagine the pocket square would receive stronger responses either way, but many more negative responses than the vest. The vest may also receive a greater number of positive responses since it more subtley smartens up the outfit (and I suspect the responses would be less specific to the vest, and often to just the overall outfit). I like vests, but they also lessen the effect of a shirt and tie (though I think it enhances them without a jacket). Depends on the combination.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen a three piece suit in a long time, non around here. I know my father used to wear one in the 70s.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
They look great very well fitted...

Very trendy at the moment...

Thank you.

Them being trendy is good in some ways bad in others. I'm moving on to more Double breasted suits myself. I think that's the future big trend. I haven't made a DB for a client in two years though, people think I'm crazy when I suggest it. A few years ago people laughed at me for suggesting they wear three piece suits.

speedy4500

Reaction score
Originally Posted by David Reeves

I just looked at the gallery on your site, David.... your suits look phenomenal, very stately and elegant.

I tend to agree with the statement that it takes a certain attitude and build to pull off a three piece, but if one can do it, a three piece makes a hell of a statement. I also find that they work best with taller and athletic builds, rather than short and/or heavier folks.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Benzito
Is the point of a vest to discard the coat in the office and still have something over your shirt and tie (i.e., besides the style aspect, was there some semi-practical point to it when it was more popular)?

A three piece makes me think a banker who has to deal with customers all day and needs to appear just that much more formal. It's hard enough looking like a lawyer and not coming off too snotty. Snooty. Snotty. Whatever.

In my small office and even in the larger building, I am quite sure a three-piece would get plenty of stares and chuckles, no matter how nice. Too bad.

Originally Posted by TheWraith
There are plenty out there, though, that wear 2 piece suits. Hardly anyone these days wears 3. It would stand out, despite what you think. Just the way it is.

+1

Maybe this is the case in australia or oregon, but in NYC, a three piece suit raises very few eyebrows, unless you work in a very business casual environment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics