• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why no love for the three piece suit?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 604Coast
This might be the problem actually, does there really need to be an occassion? In any professional environment that requires a tie, wouldn't a 3-pce suit be...well, suitable?

Answer to that question:
Originally Posted by uhurit
+1

Hard to pull off without looking pretentious and out of place

...when everyone else at work dress like slobs.

howbah

Reaction score
three piece suits are fine for any occasion which calls for a suit and for any age that would wear a suit.

the problem is - there aren't many OTR 3PS available these days. none at all at Brooks; Paul Stuart is offering one optional vest (any color you want, as long as it's gray chalk stripe)...

if the only way to get a 3PS is to go bespoke, they're not going to be seen very often.

sellahi22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by howbah
three piece suits are fine for any occasion which calls for a suit and for any age that would wear a suit.

This is an odd proclamation. At my office (business formal, most people are SF approved in terms of fit/colors/etc), a 3-piece on anyone less than very senior would look like a costume. You wouldn't be fired or anything, but people would crack jokes like you look like you work in menswear.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by howbah
three piece suits are fine for any occasion which calls for a suit and for any age that would wear a suit. the problem is - there aren't many OTR 3PS available these days. none at all at Brooks; Paul Stuart is offering one optional vest (any color you want, as long as it's gray chalk stripe)... if the only way to get a 3PS is to go bespoke, they're not going to be seen very often.
That's not true. I bought a Tiglio suit in the last year which came with a waistcoat. Charles Tyrwhitt also offers waistcoats for a number of suits. For the most part, I think you just have to make an inquiry.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sellahi22
This is an odd proclamation. At my office (business formal, most people are SF approved in terms of fit/colors/etc), a 3-piece on anyone less than very senior would look like a costume. You wouldn't be fired or anything, but people would crack jokes like you look like you work in menswear.

thats pretty silly. You wouldn't think in a business formal office, a three piece would raise any eyebrows. Certainly don't find it costumey.

lenahan

Reaction score
I actually prefer suits with odd waistcoats. But unfortunately, I wore out my favorite waistcoat. Admittedly, it is July, so I have time to replace it.

sellahi22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
thats pretty silly. You wouldn't think in a business formal office, a three piece would raise any eyebrows. Certainly don't find it costumey.

You guys are being too theoretical. It's like if someone asked why more people don't wear morning suits to weddings and SF posters responded "That's pretty silly, you wouldn't think at a wedding, a morning suit would raise any eyebrows." But in real life if everyone else is wearing suits, then you are going to stand out and look either eccentric (best case) or weird (most likely).

ohdannyboy

Reaction score
i agree with sellahi; i would LOVE to have a 3 piece in the collection (and may take the plunge) but the occasions where i could wear all three together, at least based on current life experience, are few and far between. i work in a large office (800+ people) and have not seen one 3 piece suit. ever.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sellahi22
You guys are being too theoretical. It's like if someone asked why more people don't wear morning suits to weddings and SF posters responded "That's pretty silly, you wouldn't think at a wedding, a morning suit would raise any eyebrows." But in real life if everyone else is wearing suits, then you are going to stand out and look either eccentric (best case) or weird (most likely).

eh, I guess I'm used to being seen as eccentric or weird because I've always dressed nicer than average.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Times have changed.

howbah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mktitsworth
That's not true. I bought a Tiglio suit in the last year which came with a waistcoat. Charles Tyrwhitt also offers waistcoats for a number of suits.

For the most part, I think you just have to make an inquiry.

Golly. "That's not true" seems a tad harsh. The fact that one British company offers some OTR 3-pieces doesn't really refute my thesis. And as for Tiglio ... it's a great website, love the music, it's "italianissimo"
laugh.gif
but the vested suits currently shown there are quite a ways from conservative business dress.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the formality of a 3PS for business? To me it seems more formal than a DB suit. I'd wear a DB to work but not a 3 piece until I was pretty senior.

On the other hand for social occasions it's just a stylish item and I'd wear it a lot in cooler months.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Answer to that question:

...when everyone else at work dress like slobs.

+1

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

Not really. See the above. Even if the 3 piece was back in fashion, the vast majority still wouldn't wear it. Just indicative of today's (lesser) sartorial standards. Nothing will change that I'm afraid.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
+1

Not really. See the above. Even if the 3 piece was back in fashion, the vast majority still wouldn't wear it. Just indicative of today's (lesser) sartorial standards. Nothing will change that I'm afraid.

right, but if everybody else dresses like a slob, if you show up in a nice slim fit suit, you look "weird" enough. adding a waistcoat hardly elevates it much further in my opinion.

Benzito

Reaction score
Is the point of a vest to discard the coat in the office and still have something over your shirt and tie (i.e., besides the style aspect, was there some semi-practical point to it when it was more popular)?

A three piece makes me think a banker who has to deal with customers all day and needs to appear just that much more formal. It's hard enough looking like a lawyer and not coming off too snotty. Snooty. Snotty. Whatever.

In my small office and even in the larger building, I am quite sure a three-piece would get plenty of stares and chuckles, no matter how nice. Too bad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads